PDA

View Full Version : Pollen Filter Replacement On Climate Controlled A6 1994

Sledge
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi all,
This is my very first thread ever so if I mess up, please accept my apologies.
I have purchased a new pollen filter but I cannot find anyway of accessing the old one and I was hoping someone could give me some advice.
My car is a 1994 Audi A6 2.6SE Estate with full climate control.

Many thanks
Nige

martin4play
04-02-2008, 10:34 PM
Hi
Lift the bonnet, where the battery is [ top skuttle ] its covered by a bit of plastic ,you have to remove this - take the long rubber strip that goes from one side to the other in front of the plastic tray ,lift it off [ pull it forward ,locates under w/screen ] the pollen filter is to the right of the battery --it slots in
Hope this helps !

Sledge
04-02-2008, 11:28 PM
Hi,

Thanks for that but sorry that is my first blunder(I did not explain myself correctly in my initial thread).
I can locate where it should be and gain access to it. I just cannot work out how to seperate the box to expose the original filter. The aircon/climate components are on the bulkhead and the battery sits beneath the rear seat.
The diagrams in the haynes manual show that I should need to remove 3 screws and then withdraw the filter but I cannot even locate these screws.
Any further info would be most appreciated.

thanks again
Nige

Sledge
05-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Whats also concerning me is that if I don't replace the filter will it have an effect on the performance of the air con/climate control?

martin4play
05-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi
Oh just seen a that you have a 94 audi mine is 2001 but the fitting is much the same ---- i think !! Cant think of the screws your on about ,but its got to slide out , its not in a tray On a cloged up filter ,yes it will affect the air/con [like a airfilter ---got to breath ! ] I Change mine once a year

Hope this mite help -------Anyone out there with a same year audi ?

Sledge
06-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks for your comments Martin,
With my car being the very first shape A6, and an early one at that, I think there are quite a number of differences with the ventilation systems in general compared to 97 on models. On my skuttle panel you have the fuse box on the drivers side followed by the wiper motor and then from the centre of the car right over to the far passenger side there is the heater/blower box, incorperating the heater matrix, and then on the far left is the aircon box which houses the pollen filter and it is this part that I am unable to open up to remove the pollen filter.
Please help!!! Thanks.

martin4play
06-02-2008, 09:30 PM
What we need here is someone reading this and sayin " i know ! " Just a long shot but do you gain access to it under the glovebox ? ! :confused::1zhelp: Im sure that someone will see this !

Sledge
07-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Hi Martin,

Thanks again for the idea. I had thought of this before but totally dismissed it due to the fact that the manual clearly states that is located at the top of the bulhead however I will check it out but if anyone can help me solve this problem it would make me a very happy man indeed.

All the best
Sledge

kenney
07-02-2008, 07:57 PM
Hi there are 3 scews on the top of the housing, there might be a rubber strip coverig them, if so, remove it and you will see them

Sledge
07-02-2008, 09:04 PM
Hi Kenny,

Thanks for that.
That does sound interesting because the manual does say that there should be 3 screws but I cannot find them so maybe they are concealed by the rubber strip.
I will give it a go and report back.
Many thanks
Sledge

Sledge
09-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Hi Kenney,

Checked to see if there is a rubber strip and I found a big fat zilch!!!!!! I just don't know if I am going barking mad or something. The car has to have a pollen filter being climate controlled and of the year 1994. I guess the only thing I can do is go to a main dealer and see if they can shed some light on it for me but thanks for your help anyway.

Regards
Sledge

martin4play
09-02-2008, 10:22 PM
:confused: This is getting lol Just a thought --- late sat nite in bed with my g/friend ! Has it got air-con !! Simple check Go to front end and see if its got a air-con rad with 2 pipes coming out of it !! Oh well just a thought ! Im bk to my bed !! ---its a laptop !

Martin:biglaugh:

Sledge
10-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Hi Martin,

Yeah as it states in my initial thread it's not only got air con but it has full electronic climate control also hence the reason why the battery is underneath the rear seat and not on the bulkhead.
Don't forget also this car is 1994 so it is the first of the A6 models (very similar to the last Audi 100 model).

Cheers
Sledge.

martin4play
10-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Hiya
Yeah i know u said that ! Well it must be in there -----just getting it out !! If you were in my area i would say come round and try and get to it !

Martin

Sledge
10-02-2008, 05:02 PM
Thanks Martin you are so kind and if you were closer I would certainly take you up on your offer.
This is doing my head in though I think next week I will go to see a dealer and ask them to tell me how to find these mysterious three screws that should be there.

Sledge

paul b
10-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Bit of a long shot, but in my 2nd car, a Vauxhall Astra Mk4, the pollen filter is in the passenger footwell. I know where it is in my Audi, because I changed it, but it was easy to find, so it must be far more hidden on the older model like yours.
Paul