PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Tyres

AJA
04-02-2008, 03:09 PM
Hi first post,

Could anyone recommend replacement tyres for Passat 2.0 Tdi Sport 07 currently have factory fitted 235/45/17.

I do a good mix of driving on Motorways, A-Roads and City, I'm looking for a good all rounder leaming to wards long life.

Thanks

bora(ing) nick
04-02-2008, 03:18 PM
Have a read of the reviews on

www.mytyres.co.uk

www.blackcircles.com

www.etyres.co.uk (i believe forum members get a discount?)

Nick

AJA
04-02-2008, 05:21 PM
Thanks for that, I have seen these web sites.

I was looking if anyone had advice/experience on any other manufacturers as to suitable replacements?

angus
05-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Got some Michelins (same size, on a TDI140 Sport Estate) which I think are Premacy XLs (I`m not going to have a look as its hammering down outside) which seem to be wearing very well, although they are on the rear.
Have Bridgestones on the front which seem very noisy, grip is pretty abysmal in the wet, and don`t seem to be great in terms of wear either.

The original Contis did O.K I suppose (in comparison with the Bridgestones), which is grudging praise as I don`t like them as a rule.
The Michelins I would`t put on the front as there is no rim protection, and I don`t want my alloys trashing.

What next? I`ll probably try Toyos as I had several sets on my B5.5 Sport and had no complaints.

james_tiger_woo
05-02-2008, 05:27 PM
www.etyres.co.uk (http://www.etyres.co.uk) (i believe forum members get a discount?)

How? I think I'm going to be due fairly soon...

bora(ing) nick
05-02-2008, 05:40 PM
How? I think I'm going to be due fairly soon...

Sorry, they were a supporting company, and offered discounts to members....

I have since found out that they have ceased advertising on here, and that may include the demise of the discount!

If you can hold on for a week or so, i believe we may be getting another company on bored...;)

Nick

Vag-Alloys
05-02-2008, 05:47 PM
If its milage you're looking for, go for the michelin pilot sport 2. Probably the most expensive on the market, but the best for milage. Toyo's are, in my opinion, the best tyre on the market for grip, but due to the soft compound, dont expect to get a high milage from them!

james_tiger_woo
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
I'll hang on - I'm in no great hurry - unless this rain continues...

I like Pirelli P6000s myself - I've had a fair few and they're pretty good all round.

bora(ing) nick
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
et voila...

Quicker than i thought. :D

If its milage you're looking for, go for the michelin pilot sport 2. Probably the most expensive on the market, but the best for milage. Toyo's are, in my opinion, the best tyre on the market for grip, but due to the soft compound, dont expect to get a high milage from them!

james_tiger_woo
01-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Bit of a ressurection here, but I'm due tyres in about 1000 miles and to replace the Dunlops I've got on will be about £130 each :o

I'm going to get them online and NOT pay that much, but the tyres I've seen on BlackCircle are "Kumho KU31s" and these seem to get a decent write up.

My tyre size is 215/55/R16 97W which are, according to Bush tyres, an odd size which I think is a load of rubbish....

Vag-Alloys
01-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Bit of a ressurection here, but I'm due tyres in about 1000 miles and to replace the Dunlops I've got on will be about £130 each :o

I'm going to get them online and NOT pay that much, but the tyres I've seen on BlackCircle are "Kumho KU31s" and these seem to get a decent write up.

My tyre size is 215/55/R16 97W which are, according to Bush tyres, an odd size which I think is a load of rubbish....
Kumho Tyres are ok, they are a top Budget Brand, but have improved over the last couple of years and are trying to push their brand into the "Premium Tyre" Market. As for the odd size, 215/55 R 16 Tyres are one of our top sellers!

Remember when ordering Tyres online to allow for a charge of approx £12 for the fitting and balancing of each tyre.

PNS2007
01-03-2008, 08:39 PM
Hi I'm due new front tyres soon as well (235/45/17) and phoned for a quote today:-

Falken - £91
Goodyear £101
Pirelli £111

I'm not sure what to go for, are these tyres any good? I had falkens on my last car and these seem to last a while.

Is there any indication on the tyre wall on how long it will last? Some tyres have a tread wear value, i think the Falken said 280

angus
01-03-2008, 09:20 PM
If you have access to, or can obtain a `Costco` card, get your tyres from them.

Last week i needed a pair of 205/55/16s for the wifes B5.5 130TDI Sport. The cost? £74.01 each, which included swapping the backs to front (cheching and rebalancing), the new tyres,valves,fitting, balancing inflating with nitrogen, and VAT. These were for Michelin Premacys.

Worth a call for 215s as they wont be that different in price.

Vag-Alloys
01-03-2008, 09:52 PM
If you have access to, or can obtain a `Costco` card, get your tyres from them.

Last week i needed a pair of 205/55/16s for the wifes B5.5 130TDI Sport. The cost? £74.01 each, which included swapping the backs to front (cheching and rebalancing), the new tyres,valves,fitting, balancing inflating with nitrogen, and VAT. These were for Michelin Premacys.

Worth a call for 215s as they wont be that different in price.
You got them for a good price:biglaugh:

The Primacy's have been discontinued now, but its still a good price if you can get hold of old stock. 215's do work out a bit more money than 205's.

Vag-Alloys
01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Hi I'm due new front tyres soon as well (235/45/17) and phoned for a quote today:-

Falken - £91
Goodyear £101
Pirelli £111

I'm not sure what to go for, are these tyres any good? I had falkens on my last car and these seem to last a while.

Is there any indication on the tyre wall on how long it will last? Some tyres have a tread wear value, i think the Falken said 280
It all depends on the pattern of Falken you were looking at. The treadwear, traction etc markings found on the side of the tyre are all in code, and to be honest, dont take them as gospel! If you are looking for a good all round tyre for treadwear and grip, ask your indipendant dealer for a price on "Nokian" tyres.

Brilliant wear, and a fraction of the cost of the premium brands.

james_tiger_woo
01-03-2008, 11:04 PM
Kumho Tyres are ok, they are a top Budget Brand, but have improved over the last couple of years and are trying to push their brand into the "Premium Tyre" Market. As for the odd size, 215/55 R 16 Tyres are one of our top sellers!

Remember when ordering Tyres online to allow for a charge of approx £12 for the fitting and balancing of each tyre.

I got that quote from BlackCircle tyres and the price of £75 odd is all in :D

The Passat' due a load of money spent on it as the 50k service is up and I think I'll need 4 tyres all round. Why do cars cost so much money?? :beerchug:

Mav2006
02-03-2008, 10:00 AM
I have original Dunlops on my Passat 07 spt, think they seem a little soft. I normally buy Pirelli or Brigestone, ER30 seem quite good..

jewjew24
03-03-2008, 06:42 AM
My 06 TDI sport came factory fitted with Pirelli PZERO Rosso's which I think give excellent grip in dry & wet, they also last for 18,000 mile on the front and 36,000 on the back which is good (especially the way I drive)!!! I don't know about anyone else but mine are extra load rated which limits you choice, I don't know what the consequences of fitting a standard tyre are?

crox
04-03-2008, 11:09 AM
My fronts are getting a little low (at 11K !), but as it is leased, I have to wait until 2mm, which is far too low, as I have 3mm left, and currently have no grip if I give it any sort of welly ...

I am forced to goto National Tyre, and my tyre options are:

Michelin Piolt Primacy HP
Continental Sport Contact 2

Out of the two, I have the latter, and it is alright, but my only concern with the Michelin is that straight aqua-plaining is a problem, otherwise it ticks all the boxes.

Any real world experience? It has to be a premium brand, as VW insist (not an issue here, represents better value for the company in terms of leasing vs ownership, maintained vs non-maintained.)

Vag-Alloys
04-03-2008, 11:25 AM
Primacys are being discontinued, unless they have old stock. If i was you, go in the day before and ask for michelin exalto 2's. Very good with regards to aqua-planing, and still a michelin.

bora(ing) nick
04-03-2008, 01:56 PM
I'm due 2 new tyres on the front of the Bora....

This'll be the third set of Toyo's i've had on the front now. Think i'm getting around 14 / 15 K per set, and do drive quite aggressively. The rears are still ok, and have covered about 30K on them so far. They have about 4mm tread left on each.

Last time i paid £188 for 2 Toyo's T1-s, fitted and balanced. Might have to go for T1-r's this time.

Not sure i'll beat that anywhere else.

AJA
26-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Just to let who ever was following this thread know, I eventually opted to put on Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrics at a cost of £102.80 each from a local fitter.

So far no problems over first 1000 miles or so all weathers (Great Easter), I wolud say these tyres seem to be a lot quiter than P Zeros previoulsy fitted.

These were following recommendations from a friend who runs a Golf GTI and Subaru Impreza both fitted with these tyres

jewjew24
26-03-2008, 06:29 PM
I wanted the Goodyear F1's but they did'nt do them in "extra load" form, do they do them now or have you just had standard load tyres fitted?

AJA
27-03-2008, 08:57 AM
JewJew,

Yes these were Extra Load tyres.

AJA

james_tiger_woo
28-03-2008, 12:49 PM
I've just had my car serviced £150 and they pointed out that I really need tyres (2, 2, 4, 3 mm all round) - I've done a ring around and the best I can get for non-cheapo tyres are £280 for all 4 of "Maxxis" Z1 tyres - any opinions on these?

james_tiger_woo
28-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I've had the front tyres done (don't ask) as opposed to all of them - these are the Maxxis Z1s:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4752/sl740009ve9.jpg

gazza007
22-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Been looking round to replace my front Bridgestone Turanza ER300's as O/S has just over 2mm & N/S about 3mm+. Not cheap, looking around £115 fitted per tyre. Have considered other brands but various tests & even Which Mag give the ER300 their approval. Since putting my Avenger through a hedge & brick wall in 1985, I've always considered a few extra pounds is money well spent, especially when it comes to wet weather performance & braking. One interesting thing that did crop up from my regular supplier was that when I asked them about my size,
(215/55/16, 97W XL) he said that Bridgestone book had 3 different compound types depending on manufacturer.
VW passat & Ford Galaxy being compound AZ. Even he said that was something new to him. Interesting?

Spudrig
22-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Try Falken FK452, thats what I'm using as 225/40/ZR18. Good grip, wear rate is decent (10000 miles done and the fronts still have 4mm tread left, rears barely worn at all). Mines were £62 each from Camskill tyres on the internet

gazza007
22-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Cheers

Try Falken FK452, thats what I'm using as 225/40/ZR18
Don't do my size, to be honest I will stick with the er300's unless I can find anything comparable, performance wise.

Spudrig
22-08-2008, 09:47 AM
No bother, I thought it would be worth a shot though!!

gazza007
22-08-2008, 12:10 PM
Cheers Spudrig, any advice is always appreciated, curious about this compound thing though? Bit of research required

sboscolo
22-08-2008, 08:11 PM
Hi to everyone,
I have a 2006 Station Wagon Highline Passat 2.0 TDI (140cv DPF) with sport pack.
I have changed my tyres from Continental sportcontact 2 to sportcontact 3.
Size is 235/45/17.
They are made of soft rubber, very low noise (internal and external), great stability.
I have paid 690 euros for 4 tyres, but they really worth the buy
A suggestion: move front to rear and rear to front every 10.000 km.
Now I'm at 12.000 km, they are as they were new.

Regards,
Stefano.

Spudrig
23-08-2008, 10:35 PM
A suggestion: move front to rear and rear to front every 10.000 km.
Now I'm at 12.000 km, they are as they were new.

Regards,
Stefano.

I just did that today with my Falkens!!:D Hopefully, I'll get another 10000 miles before I have to change the whole set!

gazza007
26-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Worth a read as they used a Passat for their tests

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/total_tyre_guide/213186/tyre_guide.html

Quatrelle
26-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Nice one Gazza, I've bookmarked that for when I need to replace my Bridgestones.

gazza007
27-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I am now confused what to go for, ER300's still have the edge as came out top in a recent Which test.

Andrew1967
28-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Hi

Have a look at this site I have used them several times and they are great, and I have saved a fair bit of money using them

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk :approve:

ionic
27-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm after 2 tyres for the front. I'm trying to find conti's for a good price.

£140 each fitted is the first quote from a local tyre place, which is too expensive.

I got a quote of £75+vat for Hancook, but I don't fancy those.

I'll let you know what I end up with.

Pimped-Passat
29-10-2008, 09:36 PM
I am also in the market for 4 tyres - 235 / 45 / 17 XL

Incredibly I have managed to eek out 30k miles on the original Continentals, and to be honest they could probably go another 2k and still be legal.

Had a tour around today and the prices vary vastly, but here are the best deals I could find.

All in, for 4, fit, valve, balance, green disposal "tax":

Continentals Contact 2 (as per factory fit) - £515 to £520

Michelin Primacy - £540 to £580

Online prices also seem similar.

I would value your input \ experiences on the Michelin's as I fancy going for these this time.

Do the Michelin's really last longer..?!

Cheers
Mark

tommyweaves
10-12-2008, 12:30 AM
I'm about to replace all 4 of my 235/45/17 Continental SportContact2 and have yet to find a compelling reason to change them for anything different. I get nearly 20k from the fronts, they behave ok, and are very stable at high speed and wear evenly.

I reckon I can get a full set fully fitted for £500. Anybody have a compelling reason to change?

Pimped-Passat
10-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Tommyweaves....

I don't suppose there is a compelling reason to move away from the Conti's, I thought they were cracking tyres and as I said previously got 30k miles out of a set.

However I managed to get a deal from Costco on Michelins. There was a "deal" on and they did me 4 Primacy's fitted for £444. The best I could get the Conti's for were £520.

Up-to-press I am pleased with the Michelins, but only time will tell how long they last.

Cheers
Mark

PS - Just a word of warning. A few years ago I had a Golf that had Conti's factory fitted from new. When they wore out I put exactly the same Conti on as the factory fit ones. The replacement tyres did NOT last anywhere near the same mileage as the FF ones. I have a theory that FF tyres are not always the same as the aftermarket ones... even though they carry the same name. Any thoughts anyone...?

angus
10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Interesting point on the Michelins from Costco.

When I went there, they specified Premacy HP`s which they dont stock but can get on order. These however don`t have any form of rim protection (which would have cost me a new rim last night - thanks to the prat in a Renault), so I refused to have them fitted and went back for some more Contis.

I presume that a Sport saloon has the same load rating tyres as the estate, which according to Michelin definately needs HP`s (they wont fit standard Premacys - at least not in Leeds).

Pimped-Passat
10-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Angus,

Yes you are correct on all points..

The Sport saloon requires the extra load tyres and they were indeed a special order from Michelin by Costco (about 3 days). They would not fit a standard tyre either. Computer said "No"

I am actually a Leeds lad myself, but I had the tyres fitted in Derby as I have been working down there for a while.

I must say - the fitters at Costco are really good, and the service was excellent. No agro, no bull, and no spotty little teenagers taking your car for a spin afterwards to "test 'em out"...!

As for the rim protectors - good point... I'll just have to be "careful"..!

Cheers
Mark

gamichea
10-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Tommyweaves....

I don't suppose there is a compelling reason to move away from the Conti's, I thought they were cracking tyres and as I said previously got 30k miles out of a set.

However I managed to get a deal from Costco on Michelins. There was a "deal" on and they did me 4 Primacy's fitted for £444. The best I could get the Conti's for were £520.

Up-to-press I am pleased with the Michelins, but only time will tell how long they last.

Cheers
Mark

I'm just about to change fronts. The original P Zero Rossos lasted 15.6k, the replacement Primacy HPs have managed 18k plus. I like the Primacys very much except for the fact they came with only 7mm of original tread! Yes, they were brand new & £130 a corner. I have never before in over 40 years of car ownership come across new tyres with less than 8mm of tread new. Have you put a tread depth gauge in yours, Mark?

Anyone any experience of Goodyear Excellence? I've found some favourable reviews for them online.

I would like to try the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 mentioned in this thread but have failed to find any mention online for 235/45 R17 in XL spec. Anyone know better?

Pimped-Passat
10-12-2008, 11:01 AM
I'll go get the depth gauge out now..!!!

Watch this space..!!!

Pimped-Passat
10-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Yep - looks like your right, the tread depth is 7mm and not the expected 8mm.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Is 8mm the standard..?

richard t
10-12-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi all I run a coach garage in Leeds, I see there are a few of us in this area we get our tyres whole sale 235/45/17
Conti 2 £98
Conti 2 XL £102
Mich primacy £110
Primacy XL £110
Pirelli pzero rosso XL (w) £86
Pirelli pzero rosso XL (y) £112
Maxxis £57
Just an idea of prices. Post your size and I will give you a price or if you’re in the area call in and I will give you a price all at cost. We are based in Armley near the sports centre.

gamichea
10-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Yep - looks like your right, the tread depth is 7mm and not the expected 8mm.

Thanks, Mark.

I'm not really sure what to make of this. Is 8mm the standard..?

Is there a standard? There surely can't be a formal/legal standard because I can't imagine Michelin would go out on a limb in that case. Following an irreparable puncture to one of the P Zero Rossos on the rear wheels I bought a replacement to pair with the unused spare last March, some eight months after I bought the Primacys and that new Rosso had 8mm.

I find it a bit hard to take that I get less than normal tread depth when buying one of the most expensive tyres suitable for the car :mad:. The extra mm would be good for an extra 3-4k (20%ish) mileage based on my experience.

Stuart W
11-12-2008, 03:40 AM
I find it a bit hard to take that I get less than normal tread depth when buying one of the most expensive tyres suitable for the car :mad:. The extra mm would be good for an extra 3-4k (20%ish) mileage based on my experience.

Probably not, because the outer tread wears quickly and slows down as the tread depth decreases - if you keept a note of your tread wear and mileage then the wear probably won't be 'linear'.

Indeed, if a new tyre isn't measured when it's absolutely brand new then it might give a misleading reading, say if you've covered a few hundred miles and expect it to be 'as new'.