PDA

View Full Version : door lock issue 2001 Golf SDI

Bonedog
04-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I have a 2001 SDi Golf.
I have an issue with my drivers side door lock. The key turns in the lock however it does not open or lock. I do not have remote central locking so this is a real pain. The central locking only operates of this door also so I have to open the pasenger door and reach across to the drivers door and open from the inside. The central locking still works if you press the button down on the door or open the handle from the inside.
Any help would be appreciated. :1zhelp:

helen
04-02-2008, 02:19 PM
there is a broken larch inside the door lock

Crasher
04-02-2008, 02:26 PM
You need a lock cylinder rebuild paddle kit; any VW dealer should keep the bits in stock.

Bonedog
05-02-2008, 04:21 PM
You need a lock cylinder rebuild paddle kit; any VW dealer should keep the bits in stock.

Thanks, is this lock repair kit on ebay what I require?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-1998-04-DOOR-BARREL-LOCK-REPAIR-FIX-KIT_W0QQitemZ310019869485QQihZ021QQcategoryZ9889QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

:confused:

Crasher
06-02-2008, 11:45 AM
I hate fleaBay. Anyway, yes they will fit but they are actually Skoda Octavia bits and don't always fit terribly well by the comments I have heard (I have never used them) but they are cheaper than £50 from VW. The are a complete swine to assemble by the way, I did one the other day (if you buy a genuine part you have to strip it down and re-tumble the lock to maintain the key or specially order a key matched unit which takes weeks) and I still have a sore index finger from where the spring slipped and punctured the skin under my finger nail.

tangoalpha
24-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I hate fleaBay. Anyway, yes they will fit but they are actually Skoda Octavia bits and don't always fit terribly well by the comments I have heard (I have never used them) but they are cheaper than £50 from VW. The are a complete swine to assemble by the way, I did one the other day (if you buy a genuine part you have to strip it down and re-tumble the lock to maintain the key or specially order a key matched unit which takes weeks) and I still have a sore index finger from where the spring slipped and punctured the skin under my finger nail.

I know its another link from ebay, the older one from this thread do not work anymore.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-FRONT-DOOR-LOCK-REPAIR-KIT-1998_W0QQitemZ310076533887QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 310076533887&_trkparms=72%3A12|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Will it help if I get this kit or I should rather go to VW. Did you say it costs less than £50 if I take it to VW dealer (fitted, without changing the keys)?

If you recon going to VW, what shall I say? Or is there any sort of product code for this part? How long does it take for VW to change this one cylinder only?

Thanks for your help.

Tushar.

Crasher
24-08-2008, 07:00 PM
We order these parts from our local VAG TPS as the chaps there know which parts we need and send them down as a kit in a bag and I think they cost about the same as this fleaBay kit which probably comes from the same TPS in Nottingham anyway. It is impossible to say if they are good quality or not but are probably genuine parts so they will be. As I said, these parts are a bit of a swine to assemble and often the spring will punch a hole in your finger. It takes me about half an hour to remove the lock barrel and rebuild and refit.

tangoalpha
24-08-2008, 07:42 PM
OK, thanks.

Do you have any idea how much VW will charge me to do it completely?

I can as well ring them and ask but they are closed for the long weekend.

Also, euro car parts is five minute walk from my place, do you think they will have it or its a main dealer only item?

Thank you.

Crasher
24-08-2008, 09:48 PM
No idea, I am an indi.

I buy mine from the VAG TPS.

Solari
24-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Crasher, looks like you should consider wearing a thimble on that finger next time ;)

Crasher
25-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Actually that is not such a bad idea, when the spring tail shoots up under your finger nail it smarts! :yikes:

softsorter
25-08-2008, 06:38 PM
i did one on a mk3 the other day which had the same fault and the bits trade were on par with your link, and i managed mine with out any holes in my finger tips took longer to get the bits out than to replace the broken paddle.

dealer would want a hours labour i'd guess plus bits so your looking at £100 + then the vat

Crasher
25-08-2008, 08:13 PM
They are nothing like as hard to do, the Golf 3 barrel paddles are easy to do compared with the Golf 4/Passat/Polo 6N2 and 9N. Try doing of those and then say it is easy. I can do a Golf 3/Polo 6N1 lock barrel replacement, re-tumble to match the original key, re-paddle in 30 mins including removing and re-fitting the handle, it takes me that long just to do a paddle kit on the later set up.

vTek
07-03-2011, 02:10 PM
Hi Crasher

I have managed to take my cylinder (paddle and all) apart after trying to investigate why it stopped working. Some metal pieces broke off (half of one ring), but I don't know how to assemble it back together.

Does anyone have instrutions on how to put it back together please? The rebuild kits on ebay say they will email instructions but I dont want to buy a kit if I can put my old one back together again. I fi can't then I will buy the kit. Also how much do VAG sell the same kit for?

Thanks

Crasher
07-03-2011, 06:48 PM
VW don’t do a kit, you have to buy a new barrel and re-tumble it. Getting them back together can result in blood, broken finger nails and bad language.

vTek
07-03-2011, 11:38 PM
VW don’t do a kit, you have to buy a new barrel and re-tumble it. Getting them back together can result in blood, broken finger nails and bad language.

What about these ebay repair kits? Will they work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310297978699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Crasher
08-03-2011, 10:18 AM
Never tried them, I buy the genuine barrel and re-tumble it to match the key.