PDA

View Full Version : Air Bag Light.............!

2Dcadman
05-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Hi

I was quoted £25 - £30 to have my Airbag light reset at a local VW dealerhip. Does any member have any experience of this topic and is that a realistic price quoted or am I being ripped off?
Do the Draper reset devices work?

Regards

adamss24
05-11-2006, 01:23 PM
If you have a laptop, search on ebay for OBD2 diagnostic cables that will work with Vag Group cars and download the shareware version of Vag-Com and you could reset the airbag light + let you keep an eye on your car every time ! It takes 20 sec for the laptop to erase the airbag light but you should see the deffinition of the fault to figure out what set it off. Draper scanners or any generic scaners cannot do that but vag-com can !

2Dcadman
06-11-2006, 08:36 PM
If you have a laptop, search on ebay for OBD2 diagnostic cables that will work with Vag Group cars and download the shareware version of Vag-Com and you could reset the airbag light + let you keep an eye on your car every time ! It takes 20 sec for the laptop to erase the airbag light but you should see the deffinition of the fault to figure out what set it off. Draper scanners or any generic scaners cannot do that but vag-com can !
Thanks very much for that, Will let you know how I get on.

Cheers

dc2447
04-01-2007, 03:43 PM
How did you get on?

I have an airbag fault on my Golf which previously was fixed by taking it to a mechanic - would like to save the cash too if possible?

Eshrules
04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
How did you get on?

I have an airbag fault on my Golf which previously was fixed by taking it to a mechanic - would like to save the cash too if possible?

as Adams said, all that will have been done is the mech will have simply 'turned off' the warning light, i very much doubt he has addressed the fault which may or may not have caused the light to come on in the first place. vag com is invaluable, for the sake of around 20/30 pounds, you can get the lead you need, download the software and keep an eye on fault codes yourself, it really isnt that difficult and there are always techies around like Adams/vw techniker(sorry if thts spelt wrong :S)/RickT, etc etc to help you interpret the different fault codes that will arise.

look at it this way.... vw diagnostic around £30/35 diagnoses one set of fault codes. vag com lead around £20, diagnoses and monitors as many codes and as frequently as you want :drive:

RickT
05-01-2007, 12:06 AM
just noticed this is an older post.... hows it going now??

Cheers

RicKT

dc2447
05-01-2007, 03:51 PM
as Adams said, all that will have been done is the mech will have simply 'turned off' the warning light, i very much doubt he has addressed the fault which may or may not have caused the light to come on in the first place. vag com is invaluable, for the sake of around 20/30 pounds, you can get the lead you need, download the software and keep an eye on fault codes yourself, it really isnt that difficult and there are always techies around like Adams/vw techniker(sorry if thts spelt wrong :S)/RickT, etc etc to help you interpret the different fault codes that will arise.

look at it this way.... vw diagnostic around £30/35 diagnoses one set of fault codes. vag com lead around £20, diagnoses and monitors as many codes and as frequently as you want :drive:

Thanks - going to buy a cable -

My worry is that there is a real airbag fault

Eshrules
05-01-2007, 10:21 PM
yes, so is mine. of course i would worry there is an airbag fault, but ivery much doubt an independant will actually investigate the post. if you get a vag com on your car, post the fault codes, people can try to help you investigate, you can then go to the garage if needs be, armed with this info and help to resolve your problem. the main problem with just going into a garage and saying diagnose me is you're in the lap of the gods, you never know what that garage could be up to!

2Dcadman
05-01-2007, 11:26 PM
How did you get on?

Hi

I bought the cable on E-bay no problem there, I got lost trying to download the software on the Ross web site! it was a but confusing as I could not find the free shareware to download, any help would be most welcome.
I need it even more now as my ABS light is now on.

devonutopia
05-01-2007, 11:48 PM
I'll clear the fault codes / remove warning lights / diagnose why lights are on... for FREE. I have the software and hardware for my own personal use so would gladly help out others. I'm in it for my car, not for the money.

Down in Devon though..... :D

BROWN_OWL
26-06-2007, 01:21 PM
where is the vag-com share-ware available? i too have an airbag light appearing. ever since vw roadside assitance came to my aid when i reset the car!!!