PDA

View Full Version : Weber 32/34 DTML running problems

9ad
03-02-2008, 08:16 PM
I have a Golf Mk2 1800 - Last week I replaced the Pierburg carb with a Weber 32/34 DTML, which was taken off my previous 1600 Mk2 Golf .

I replaced the 1600 jets with new 1800 jets as specified by the Weber spec sheet - I have adjusted the mixture screw and idle screw to Weber specs and it idles perfect and plus look good - the problem is with the new 1800 jets you have to press the throttle very slowly to build up the revs otherwise the engine dies - it wont rev when you blip the throttle quickly or pull away quickly!.

However, I tried putting the 1600 jets back in and the engine runs fine / drives fine - BUT I dont seem to be able to adjust the mixture as it seems to be running very rich - the plugs are black/sooted up.

Does anyone know how I can rectify this problem without going to the expense of putting the car on a rolling road which would probably cost more than the cars worth?
Also, I dont want to use the 1600 jets because its running so rich but what are the implications of running an 1800 car using 1600 jets?
Thanks
Howard

bishbosh66
05-02-2008, 01:56 AM
Hi, I have recently fitted a new weber carb same as yours to my 1800 and have not experienced the same problems (I have had lots of other problems mind !). I recently put a guide to weber tuning that I got off the net in the "how to" section of the forum, maybe this would help you get the right tuning for the carb, if nothing else it would help confirm your settings and then you could discount that as the source of the problem.