PDA

View Full Version : 04 A8 Folding Mirrors

J7KED
03-02-2008, 06:01 PM
Hi All,

New member, just wondered if anyone can tell me how to get into the Folding Mirror motor on an A8.

I have a 2004 A8. Now I rarely fold the mirrors since I'm not usually parked anywhere they need to be folded and the design means they don't actually fold in much anyway! But one month out of warranty I folded the mirrors one day and the drivers one refused to fold back down. The dealership told me the motor had gone and advised me it would be £400 for a new one!! Since I don't use them (the folding not the mirrors :Blush:) I'm a bit reluctant to pay this so I thought I'd just fold it down manually but whilst it folds down it doesn't lock and so wiggles a bit on the motorway.

I've tried taking the trim off the inner door and unscrewing the mirror from the door and unscrewing the plate etc but try as I might I just don't seem to be able to access the inner mirror workings or motor and I don't want to pull too hard in case I break a plastic clip or something. Any ideas??

Thanks
JK

kenney
03-02-2008, 06:18 PM
Hi Mask the top and bottom of mirror housing with fabric-reinforced adhesive tape to prevent damage. Pull out the mirror glass at bottom and then at the top, (you can make a tool from an old butter knife by bending the tip 90 degrees) you then release mirror housing at the retainer tabs. Lift mirror housing sideways off the mirror adjustment unit