PDA

View Full Version : URGENT!!!! ticking noise from engine

vwluke
03-02-2008, 02:08 PM
hi everyone,
the problem is, i was driving along and then all of a sudden, there was a loud like ticking noise coming from what sounds like th top of the engine, it gets louder as the higher thr rpm's are, it doesn't seem to have affected the performance but it really worrying as i havn't got a clue about mechanics and iam thinking its going to cost a fortune to mend,
any ideas please reply, i would be really grateful.,
its a 130tdi passat estate.

chrisvrscrx
03-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Have you checked the oil level??

passat>sport
03-02-2008, 05:01 PM
there was a loud like ticking noise coming from what sounds like th top of the engine,

I would be pulling the valve cover and checking the hydraulic lifters. And the oil as chris said.

vwluke
03-02-2008, 06:26 PM
I would be pulling the valve cover and checking the hydraulic lifters. And the oil as chris said.

hi, just checked oil, it very very low, i cant understand why, cos the service isnt due until may time, it only got serviced bout 4000 miles ago, any ideas why it has used oil, as i havn't noticed any leaks,
cheers for your replies

chrisvrscrx
03-02-2008, 10:41 PM
There could be lots of reasons why it could be using oil. My Tdi uses some oil. Did you check the oil level after the service?? It could have been low and you car has used some over the last 4000 miles. Have you toppped the oil up?? If so has the noise gone??

Crasher
03-02-2008, 10:59 PM
The turbo's use oil.

Baron_Samedi
04-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Is it errrrr bad in some way if they don't?

I'm wondering if blockages prevent the normal operation of the engine thus saving oil but knackering itself...

Crasher
04-02-2008, 04:50 PM
It is bad that they do, but it is normal.

vwluke
04-02-2008, 06:24 PM
hi, checked oil again today and i was wrong, the oil level was fine, so has anyone got any ideas why it is making this sort of loud ticking noise, phoned a garage up and they said they are going to charge £65 an hour to strip engine down, to find out what it is, they said ican be easily looking at 4hours plus parts, so i dont know what to do, ive only had it 3 weeks, any ideas! please!!!!!
:1zhelp:

passat>sport
04-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Have you pulled the rocker cover and checked the hydraulic tappets?

One could be waiting to explode!

Crasher
04-02-2008, 06:54 PM
It may be that the cam has failed due to the use of the wrong oil. You really should get it inspected if that only goes as far as having the cam cover taken off to inspect the cam and lifters although that doesn’t always show the problem; it is sometimes so subtle that the cam has to be removed. If it is cam lifter failure and you catch it now it will cost a lot of money to put it right, maybe £1500 but if it suffers from a complete lifter failure that will wreck the head and you will be into around £3000 to repair it with a genuine head. Please get it looked at by a garage who knows what they are doing, trying to diagnose a noise like this by text is nearly impossible.

vwluke
04-02-2008, 07:50 PM
just a quick update, a friend of mine who works for vw, has just been up, checked under rocker cover, he says everything looks fine, he was checking around and noticed some black gooh behind starter motor, he did some more checking around and he diagnosed it as the "TWIN MASS FLYWHEEL", HE WAS QUITE ADAMMENTthat it is this, does this sound familer to anyone, as it is booked in at the garage thursday, and im not sure if the warranty covers this part. cheers for all your replies.:beerchug:

vwluke
04-02-2008, 08:29 PM
me again, if it is the dual mass flywheel, anyone know the cheapest place to get one, and how much do yo think to have it fitted, cheers luke

Crasher
04-02-2008, 09:06 PM
That is a sure sign of DMF failure, GSF or ECP are a good source of genuine LUK DMF's and clutches as the clutch must also be replaced. Remember to clean the starter out.