PDA

View Full Version : T4 Reluctant to Start

praven
03-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi
I have a T4 2.5 Tdi X reg now with 168,000 on the clock. I recently ran a tank of biodiesel fine, then started to get loss of power on the second tank and running very noisily. It's had a couple of new fuel filters and an air flow sensor. Coincidentally it was ready for a cam belt change so that has been done too.

Everything fine 25 miles or so then alternator light coming on so ended up with a new alternator. I now have a problem where it is reluctant to start - needs to be turned over for 5 seconds twice then starts third go with a puff of smoke. After that runs fine and passed MoT no problem. Seems to be using a lot of fuel but I am only making occasionaly short journeys at the moment so difficult to compare economy with before. It has always started first time for me until now - problem started after the new alternator.

Sorry about the long story.
Any ideas?

Paul

praven
04-02-2008, 10:33 AM
Don't laugh but I read the drivers handbook last night.
It suggests that if it doesn't start right away after the glow plug light goes out, then don't press the gas and turn it over for up to 30s! I'm getting upset with 3 x 5s tries because it always used to fire up instantaneously, cold weather or not.
It does suggest that if it is not starting the glow plug fuse may have gone. Could this be my problem?
Will a diesel start at all if the glow plugs aren't coming on?

carbon
04-02-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure about the 2.5TDi's as I've not had one long enough to have any problems yet. The 2.4D's don't like starting well if they only have two working glow plugs. Once they have been started and the engines warm they start easy.

It could be that its been starting on three or four glow plugs lately and now it's down to one or two. Check the glow plugs and the fuse first.