PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent instrument panel failure

i_kersey
04-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Can anybody help?

I have a 1.0L Polo on a 97 plate which has an intermittent fault on the instrument panel. The dials and such stop working temporarily, but the engine is still running, and I believe the indicators on the panel still work.

It mainly effects the speedo, fuel indicator gauge, and temp gauge which just stop working, this will happen for a few seconds and then kick back in again. Given that, I tried checking the connections on the back of the panel but these seem fine and somebody suggested it could be due to a dirty battery terminal so I checked these aswell.

If anybody has any ideas please let me know,

Thanks

Ian

powerhead22
11-01-2007, 06:27 PM
I have a similar problem with my 2002 Polo. All of the instrument panels indicator lights come on and then the clock and the trip reset to zero.
After that everything behaves normally. At first it would happen once a week but now it's down to four times a day or more.

I have had it diagnosed at a garage with a diagnostic code reading device, which simply reports that there has been a loss of power.

I've tried to replicate the problem by driving over bumps and so forth but to no avail.

Anybody any ideas??

:confused:

powerhead22
03-02-2007, 07:20 PM
...anyone? - purrrr-lease?

:confused:

freakshow
22-06-2007, 07:35 AM
I am having exactly the same problem, any ideas would be great.

Eshrules
22-06-2007, 10:55 AM
have you had your car fault read? it could be a loose connection or a poor earth?

could really do with getting it diagnosed to see if theres anything un-toward there :beerchug:

freakshow
22-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks

No I havent.

I installed a new radio a couple of weeks back.

I also have installed an hands free kit which goes through the radio.

This now also works intermittently

I have clear cocked something up when I installed the radio.

freakshow
27-06-2007, 02:35 PM
I have used a volt meter on battery while it is idling. It is pumping out 18v. So i am reckoning a fault with the alternator. I am going to replace it and see.

Will let you know,

Thanks

freakshow
28-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Thanks for all comments/advice

I have replaced alternator and all is well again

timbobbb
27-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi I am experiencing dash board problems. When i turn ignition on the lihts disapear as normal but when is start car the rev counter does not work and the oil light flashes and beeps even though oil is ok, and the fuel and temp gauge can go mad also. Sounds like some of the earlier problems?. I need to check earth and alternator voltage. Has anybody experienced this before?

freakshow
27-04-2008, 08:15 PM
i had a similar problem - instument panel was intermittent and failing at times, the needles moved up and down very quickly and would then stop. I thought it was bad earth but then I tested the voltage of the battery, it was very high, so much so it was evaporating the water in the battery. turned out it was the alternator, i replaced it and all was well.

timbobbb
27-04-2008, 09:08 PM
Many thanks I will try that. Voltage at the battery when idling is 15 volts. That does not sound too high? Must look at batery water level.

timbobbb
29-04-2008, 01:22 PM
After checking out the battery connections and the voltage from the alternator (14v) I was advised that it was most likely the instrument cluster and that they can give trouble. My cluster was one of the older ones (pre 2000/2001 although it is a 2000 registered polo). Managed to get a cluster from the local scrapyard and now all is well. Prices can vary a bit between scrapyards !. Very strange fault. Now I have a slightly lower mileage but need a service !!! or a way of resetting it myself !!.

Blackthorn
09-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Powehead22 - Did you get yours sorted in the end? My in-laws seem to have the exact same issue as you described.

Many thanks!