PDA

View Full Version : A6 front suspension lower arm removal

john493
04-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Hi all,
Can someone give advice on removal of the front lower arms on my 1996 A6 1.9 TDI (100 shape) ? Haynes say remove the anti-roll bar first, which looks straightforward, but they then say where the lower arm mounts on the subframe a locating sleeve needs to be removed, but they don't say how to do this.
(:confused:The bushes where the lower arms mount on the subframe need renewing)

How easily do the ball-joints come out of the swivel once the pinch bolts are released ?

Many thanks

adamss24
04-11-2006, 06:50 PM
mate, take it to a garage as its soo dificult to fit the antiroll bar back and the wheels need to rest on the ground...i did it once and dont wanna do that again...Its easy to do if you verry skiny and you could fit under the car fully lowered on the flor as the sway bar(antirol) needs to be tightened with the car resting on its wheels. The ball-joints need some persuation from a 1kg clubhammer and a balljoint separator tool(please be aware that the rubbers will get damaged doing that but you need to fit new arms anyway!) and if your cv joint gaitors are old or cracked i suggest you do them while you there. Have a long scaffold tube to help ease the roll bar back on the mountings and remember to tighten the bolts with the wheel on the ground otherwise the geometry will be wrong...Get a haynes manual and read how to get the bolts out from the arms where they fit to the subframe as they were turning freely when i did that. Did not bothered to remove the arms completelly as the bushes were ok and i only replaced the anti roll bar bushes. Pay atention how they fit as its easy to mess up. Good luck.