PDA

View Full Version : Serial port diagnostic lead problem

Mr Tivoli Blue
01-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I have bought a diagnostic lead from ebay which is a serial port lead.

When plugged into either serial port and connected to the car (1994 Golf 1.8 driver) i get port ok interface not found. No matter what i do i cannot connect to the car.

Questions

a. Will i see the interface lead if it is only connected to the PC?

B. Must the ignition be on for it to work?

C. which software should i use? The lead is third party and has KKL vag-com Written on it.

D. are there any special driver i should load?

I am curently using vag com 409.1

I have tried other diagnostic software with the same results.

:mad::1zhelp::1zhelp::1zhelp:

adamss24
01-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi, go to your car, connect the interface to your car OBD port, switch on the ignition and press scan. You might need to change/select port settings in the options menu in vag-com, then save . Please bear in mind that your car has verry few control modules, iou should try to scan the engine first !

Mr Tivoli Blue
01-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Hi, go to your car, connect the interface to your car OBD port, switch on the ignition and press scan. You might need to change/select port settings in the options menu in vag-com, then save . Please bear in mind that your car has verry few control modules, iou should try to scan the engine first !

Tried it with ignition on. no go

Checked com port is same as pc and also change com ports But it still does not see the car or interface.

With my vag software it does not allow me to scan until it has found the interface and save the information.

Have also tried scan tool and that cannot see the interface too just scans the ports and says interface not found:zx11:

This is a serial lead type and should be easy to set up. Perhaps it could be the two extension leads fitted. I have two to get the gender changed.

adamss24
01-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Check if the com ports are enabled on the laptop ! What version of windows you running ?

Mr Tivoli Blue
02-02-2008, 12:39 AM
Check if the com ports are enabled on the laptop ! What version of windows you running ?

Running on a desktop. windows xp service pack one only

Com ports enabled in bios and setup ok Says com port ok interface not found. Have tried changing com ports and still does not see it.

:zx11:

adamss24
02-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Maybe its just a faulty lead, can you contact the vendor and ask for a replacement ?

Mr Tivoli Blue
02-02-2008, 08:19 PM
:biglaugh:Success.
I was using two serial leads to change gender. One was straight through but the other swapped over pins 2 and 3

On RS 232 pin 2 is transmit data from pin 3 is receive data.

This is from the pc BUT the receiver eg printer it's swapped over

Pin is receive data pin 3 is transmit data. One of the leads had the pins swapped.

If the vag lead was plugged straight into the pc it would have worked

I cut the offending lead and swapped the wires over.

I now have a error code.

Engine coolant temperature sensor (G62) open or short to B+ intermittent.

I also have the ht coil occasionally shorting to earth (big spark easy to see)

So if you use an extension lead make sure pins 2 and 3 are connected to pins 2 and 3 each end Pin 5 is used as control clear to send.

There are only 3 connections

2 transmit data
3 receive data
5 clear to send

Thanks for all your suggestions.:beerchug::beerchug: