PDA

View Full Version : digital speedo in km/h

crox
01-02-2008, 06:09 PM
is there a way of changing it to mph?

I remember reading something on vortex, but couldn't make it work.

Any thoughts?:1zhelp:

adamss24
01-02-2008, 08:53 PM
You will need someone friendly with vag com. All you need to do is log onto the instruments and change a digit in the codding ! If you came to N.London, i could do that for you for a pint ! Regards, Chris-07841206564.

Quatrelle
01-02-2008, 11:44 PM
You will need someone friendly with vag com. All you need to do is log onto the instruments and change a digit in the codding ! If you came to N.London, i could do that for you for a pint ! Regards, Chris-07841206564.You don't fancy a trip to France by any chance to change my digital read-out from mph to kph? Accommodation, meal (my wife's an excellent cook), bottle of wine or two, you know the sort of thing....

Frelon
02-02-2008, 05:26 PM
On my Golf Plus (and I see no reason to suspect yours is any different) it is possible to change the units in the MFD. Go to Units - Consumption/Distance - and change to MPG.

That is assuming you have a MFD!

Quatrelle
02-02-2008, 06:30 PM
On my Golf Plus (and I see no reason to suspect yours is any different) it is possible to change the units in the MFD. Go to Units - Consumption/Distance - and change to MPG.

That is assuming you have a MFD!I do have MFD and I'll double-check mine, but I believe that lhd cars with, therefore, speedos in kph, are legally required to have a readout somewhere in mph, which mine has in the trip, and rhd cars likewise a readout in kph. Thus it can only be altered by VAGcom and, unfortunately, not in the menu.:(

With the growing number of cameras, both fixed and mobile, now in France - as I'm sure you know - I find a digital readout easier to read.

Thanks
John

Frelon
03-02-2008, 02:56 PM
My LHD Golf Plus (bought in France) only has the speedo in KPH, whereas all of my VW's bought in UK (Golf and Audi A6) had dual markings. MPH on outside but with KPH on inside, but they are analogue dials. I find it very frustrating that when I travel back to UK I have to remember that 30 MPH is about 50 KPH and 70 MPH is 112 KPH!! Have written to VW and asked about this but .....no reply. Gone into the "Too Hard" tray!
Having reread your posting I see that you have a digital speedo, so should be readily done through the MFD (but perhaps VW think that people do not travel between the UK and mainland Europe)
Whilst I am not able to change my analogue speedo to MPH I am able to change the Units so that I can have the fuel consumption in MPG (and my odometer and trip meter reads miles) or I can change to litres per 100 km (and my odometer and trip meter then reads kilometers).

And, yes you are right, the local Plod have been having a frenzie since they acquired their new radar speed check technology. And it seems to work, the locals all slow down to 50 KPH as soon as they approach each village. Just the Brits who seem to think that the French will not have the speed camera technology!

DaveNN
03-02-2008, 04:33 PM
. Just the Brits who seem to think that the French will not have the speed camera technology!

You're joking...surely??
My sat nav (with camera locations) was having a dippy fit, going through France & Brittany last Summer!
BUT at least I got fair warning...BIG brown signs when in a camera area!!! :approve:
However, the ones I spotted were a mucky green colour, which blended in v nicely with the bushes on the central reservations.:(

Quatrelle
03-02-2008, 06:22 PM
The speedo on my Passat is analogue, showing kph only, but, through the MFD, you can change the digital trip so that it displays your speed in mph once on the move. It's the opposite for UK cars, hence Crox's post.

Unless UK drivers are actually stopped in France for speeding and fined on the spot, no action is taken, at the moment, if they are recorded on camera.

Hence the number of expats here who still drive around in their rhd cars with UK plates - I'm not one of them, I've made a couple of contributions to the French exchequer :(

DaveNN
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
The speedo on my Passat is analogue, showing kph only, but, through the MFD, you can change the digital trip so that it displays your speed in mph once on the move. It's the opposite for UK cars, hence Crox's post.

Unless UK drivers are actually stopped in France for speeding and fined on the spot, no action is taken, at the moment, if they are recorded on camera.

Hence the number of expats here who still drive around in their rhd cars with UK plates - I'm not one of them, I've made a couple of contributions to the French exchequer :(

SO...I could've really hammered my way through Normandy etc etc????:D
Forgive my ignorance but where would the digital speed be shown?
Is it easy to spot?
How does it compare to the speed indicated onthe ODO?
My SEL doesn't arrive for another 2 months....:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:but it's nice to know these things!!! (such as which ruddy MFD would the 170 SEL come with??)

Cheers
DaveNN

Quatrelle
03-02-2008, 10:11 PM
SO...I could've really hammered my way through Normandy etc etc????:D
Forgive my ignorance but where would the digital speed be shown?
Is it easy to spot?
How does it compare to the speed indicated onthe ODO?
My SEL doesn't arrive for another 2 months....:aargh4::aargh4::aargh4:but it's nice to know these things!!! (such as which ruddy MFD would the 170 SEL come with??)

Cheers
DaveNNNot sure what you'll get re MFD, but I'm fairly sure it's across the range. Just have to hold the trip button in, ignition on, until it flashes mph or kph depending on which side of the Channel you live. (My French handbook says it will display mph or kph as desired, but I can't make mine 'say' kph.:() I'll try it again next time I'm in the car, just in case.

After that, each time you move off the display will change to your speed, and revert to trip when stationary.

orangezorki
04-02-2008, 02:04 AM
...such as which ruddy MFD would the 170 SEL come with??

I'll tell you on the 1st of March, when I get mine.

But you think that's hard? - mine's actually in the Dealer, but waiting for the 08 plate!

David.

Stuart W
04-02-2008, 04:46 AM
I do have MFD and I'll double-check mine, but I believe that lhd cars with, therefore, speedos in kph, are legally required to have a readout somewhere in mph, which mine has in the trip, and rhd cars likewise a readout in kph. Thus it can only be altered by VAGcom and, unfortunately, not in the menu.:(

That's interesting - I'd wondered why the display in mine doubled as an odometer in miles when stationary and a speedo in kmph when on moving - seems a bit silly.

But now you mention it there isn't an anologue kmph reading inside the mph circle as I've had in previous cars, so that's that explained:D

Zooty
04-02-2008, 10:23 AM
As I understand it, an EU ruling dictates that all cars must show a speed in kph when moving. As UK Passats only have mph on the analogue speedo, this means the digital display must show kph.

I believe our continental cousins can display a variety of things on the digital display because their analogue display will always show kph.

I wish VW had given us dual mph/kph markings on the analogue speedo. I find it very annoying that I can't check the odo when on the move :mad:

Quatrelle
04-02-2008, 12:32 PM
As I understand it, an EU ruling dictates that all cars must show a speed in kph when moving. As UK Passats only have mph on the analogue speedo, this means the digital display must show kph.

I believe our continental cousins can display a variety of things on the digital display because their analogue display will always show kph.

I wish VW had given us dual mph/kph markings on the analogue speedo. I find it very annoying that I can't check the odo when on the move :mad:Zooty - As you say, it's an EU ruling, but it is 'switchable'.

As I said above, I can only get the option of mph on my odo - I'd like it to read kph as another option.

I don't think I have anything on mine that you can't get in the UK. You should have the option of cancelling your speed overriding the odo by pressing the zeroing button, if that's what your last sentence is saying. Offhand, I can't remember what page of the handbook it's on, but it's near the beginning of section 3.

DaveNN
04-02-2008, 07:58 PM
I'll tell you on the 1st of March, when I get mine.

But you think that's hard? - mine's actually in the Dealer, but waiting for the 08 plate!

David.

Ta very much.....

Why not get it plated now...& save a few £££???
I take it that it's inside & covered up...NOT rotting on the forecourt??:D

When I ordered mine, I asked the dealer for help in getting a specific reg' No..
KN08 HED....it took him ages to work it out..Let's see how the Mods get on!!:biglaugh:

sabu120287
30-11-2010, 10:35 AM
You will need someone friendly with vag com. All you need to do is log onto the instruments and change a digit in the codding ! If you came to N.London, i could do that for you for a pint ! Regards, Chris-07841206564.

hi iv got a audi a4 estate 1.9 tdi the battery went dead and it has gone in to showing things in km any suggestions on how to turn it back in to miles??? thanks

Issac Hunt
30-11-2010, 11:39 AM
VAGCOM, or from the menu in the DIS (dont know if you have that or not? As you dont tell us how old or what model your car is)

sabu120287
30-11-2010, 11:57 AM
VAGCOM, or from the menu in the DIS (dont know if you have that or not? As you dont tell us how old or what model your car is)

its a 2002 1.9 tdi quattro sport but does not have the bottons on wiper stick . it has the reset button check and spaner button also what is vagcom?? also lastly how do i get in to the menu??

johnloaderuk
30-11-2010, 11:16 PM
As I understand it, an EU ruling dictates that all cars must show a speed in kph when moving. I find it very annoying that I can't check the odo when on the move :mad:

My 2010 Passat shows the digital kph plus the mileage both at the same time in different sections of the MFD, even when moving, but my first 2005 B6 hid the mileage when on the move in favour of kph, so I suspect yours is an earlier model. However, if the cruise control is on you then can't see the mileage, but if the cruise is off you can see the odometer.

bundao
01-12-2010, 03:07 PM

I had a good play around with this when I got VCDS originally.
Is the coding you are talking about the country coding? If so this changes the fuel consumption and odometer into km as well (and time to 24hour clock).
I wasn't able to find a country code that gave me the combination I wanted (ie. Time in 12 hour mode, temp in centigrage, fuel consumption in mpg, odometer in miles, digital speedo in mph)
If there is a way please let me know!

Issac Hunt
01-12-2010, 03:27 PM
You can adjust the country code with VCDS and then reset the units (to imperial) using the menu in the DIS (if you have the buttons on the wiper stalk?), resetting using the DIS wont change the country code so the KM/h display goes away but the units should now be in miles and mpg etc

Quatrelle
01-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Unfortunately, I doubt if you'd be able to change the digital readout to mph if your speedo's in mph. It's a legal requirement to have both, so I expect VW have made it very difficult, if not impossible. I was hoping to change mine to kph with kph, but I've never heard of anyone who has succeeded.

As Isaac says, you can change the units from imperial to metric and vice versa (I've got full MFD), but I reckon they've locked the digital speedo out.

Issac Hunt
01-12-2010, 05:33 PM
Unfortunately, I doubt if you'd be able to change the digital readout to mph if your speedo's in mph. It's a legal requirement to have both, so I expect VW have made it very difficult, if not impossible. I was hoping to change mine to kph with kph, but I've never heard of anyone who has succeeded.

As Isaac says, you can change the units from imperial to metric and vice versa (I've got full MFD), but I reckon they've locked the digital speedo out.

It does work on most cars. It certainly works on mine (Skoda) and it also works on other VAG cars that I have coded for friends. Cant see why the Passat will be any different IMHO.

I coded the country (with VCDS) to something other than the UK. This DOES remove the digital km/h display. (it now becomes selectable on/off in the DIS menu)

Then using the DIS menu (not VCDS) you can swop litres/km back to mpg, and temperature can be changed from 'F' to 'C'

Quatrelle
01-12-2010, 05:44 PM
It does work on most cars. It certainly works on mine (Skoda) and it also works on other VAG cars that I have coded for friends. Cant see why the Passat will be any different IMHO.

I coded the country (with VCDS) to something other than the UK. This DOES remove the digital km/h display. (it now becomes selectable on/off in the DIS menu)

Then using the DIS menu (not VCDS) you can swop litres/km back to mpg, and temperature can be changed from 'F' to 'C'
Interesting - right, next time you're in France.... ;)

It's very tempting to get VAGCOM and have a play. I don't use/need a laptop, so it's time to start thinking about what to get my wife for Xmas.:p