PDA

View Full Version : I'm considering upgrading the headlights

hagis
01-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I've pondered upgrading the headlights on my A4 for a while, even more so after having to drive in that heavy rain we had the other day.

After reading this thread:
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25493&highlight=a4+headlights

I've had a look at the kit listed on HID:
http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html

How bright are they? I'd like brighter lights but I've no wish to dazzle other drivers (as some of the Xenon kits do).

Are they difficult to fit?

Are there any other methods I should consider - can I just purchase stronger bullbs?

hagis
03-02-2008, 01:40 PM
Anyone?

Chris73
03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
Got a HID kit coming this week for my B7, so I'll let you know how I get on , gone for 6000k as I'm told this is nearest to the genuine Audi colour, Also the guy is sending some high performance bulbls for the main beam to match the colur of the HID so it should be a good way to compare the two different systems . Make sure if you get a kit that it comes with a resistor or what ever to stop the cars computer playing up

hagis
03-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Cheers Chris, I'll look forward to reading that.

The kit I was looking at on Hids Direct had ballast so that should prevent any problems with the computer.

Chris73
03-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Hi Hagis,
They all come with a Ballast as that's like the starter motor on a fluroesent tube light and it's the high voltage of the ballast that plays the ecu 's up on modern cars and that's why you also need a resitor or what ever it is to stop damage . Also I think once started they run on only 35w as appose to 55w regular bulbs and so on the cheaper kits it can cause the computer to tell you the bulbs have failed . This is only what I've been told and I am by no means an expert . Getting my kit from 'Xenon shop uk' £99 plus another £15 for the bits that stop the computer playing up . Heard some horror stories of cheap kits knackering the wiper motors and all sorts and the cars having to go to Audi to be sorted :( Then again this might be all rumors put about by companies selling the dearer kits ,some were over £250 so I guess you pays your money and take your choice

hagis
04-02-2008, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the warning Chris, I had thought the ballast would stop that!

andy5468
04-02-2008, 09:38 AM
fiited a kit from hids direct 4 weeks ago and very impressed.
Go for the 6000k kit with the resistors(£99 i think)

i originally bought the £79 kit but my a4 2002 computer didnt like the lights being turned on and set off all sorts of alarms and flashing warning lights.

By fitting the additional resistor kit i can resolve this but the more expensive kit states that computer problems will not occur.

i recommend these kits.

hagis
04-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Thanks for your comments Andy, as I have a 2002 A4 I think it may be worth be spending the extra £20 and going for the £99 kit.

Did it take long for you to fit?

andy5468
05-02-2008, 08:14 AM
there is a link on here somewhere from Rick T explaining how to remove the headlights.

Took me about 1 hr to remove lights,replace bulbs and fit the ballasts and plug in the new wiring harness,
quite a simple task with no wires to cut or rerun.

headlamps slide out after removing 2 bolts at the top and slackening 2 other fiddly ones at the rear bottom.
these 2 a the rear can be fiddly and you will need a good socket set with torx heads

hagis
06-02-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm even more set on doing this after having driven my wife's Tigra for a day, it really made me realise how poor the headlights in the A4 are.

Chris73
08-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Hi Haggis,
My HID's arrived today and I've just finished fitting them .Waiting for it to go dark now too see how much of an improvement they are . Took me about two hours to fit them but a lot of that time was spent just getting the bulbs in as I've got quite big hands and struggled a bit with my finger tips . Anyhows I managed to do it with out removing the headlights so that I didn't have to have any realignment done , Mine is as B7 but if you can change a light bulb with out removing the headlights there's no reason why you can't fit a HID kit without removing headlights . I drilled the 25mm hole to allow the wiring though in the back of the removable cap that lets you get at the bulb, that way if I ever want to go back to halogen when I sell the car I can just get replacement caps and no one would be any the wiser . The only other thing that took a bit of time was working out where to mount the ballast and the all important capacitor( to stop ECU playing up ) , A couple of sticky pads and cable ties for back up and this was done quite neatly which is unusual for me :biglaugh: .At first I wired the them up the wrong way around and the cars computer shut them down but once corrected they work fine. ( there was no colour wiring diagram ) Andy at xenon shop sent me a couple of xenontec filament bulbs to go in the main beam to help it match the HID's and these are a great improvement , in fact as I fitted these first I wondered if I had wasted my money with the HID's but keep going and you'll see how much better again HID's are .
Next job will be some xenontec bulbs for the fogs and white LED's with a capacitor to stop the ECU playing up for the side's .
Anyway good luck with yours Haggis :beerchug:

hagis
09-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Thanks for taking the time to post your experiences Chris, much appreciated. I'm glad you're happy with them.

Do the HIDs only do the headlight and not the main beam then?

Chris73
09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Yeah , the Hid's are just fitted to the dip beam . Bi-xenons on factory fit work by one light adjusting from dip to main beam a bit like you can adjust your dip beam by turning the dial if fitted . The reason for this is that xenons take about 3 seconds to come to full brightness after being powered up and the law dictates that main beam must be instant . Although I wonder how much of a problem this would be as my xenons once warm seem to come on pretty instantly . I might ring up my local garage where I get my MOT's done and see what they say about it , because the problem now is although the xenontec bulbs look the part in the main beam they are very inferior in brightness and when driving on main beam your eyes adjust to the bright dip light close up and the main beam in the distance looks darker than ever .
But they are brilliant when driving against on coming traffic on dip beam and wouldn't go back to halogen :approve:
Edit : just had a word with my MOT man and he said he would have no problem with xenon in the main beam aswell as long as the alignment was right

Chris73
09-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Haggis just noticed that the kit supplied by the xenonshop uk actually came from HIDS-DIRECT , and so the kit you're looking at should be fine for the Audi providing you go for the 89 quid one not the 79 . Pointless going through the xenonshop as they just charge more for the same kit . doh

hagis
10-02-2008, 12:43 AM
Thanks Chris, there are two listed on http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/hid-products.html for £89, I'm guessing you mean the one towards the bottom described as "HIDS-DIRECT Ultra HID xenon converison kits for:
Astra mk4, Audi A3/A4, BMW e46,e39,X5, Volvo V70, VW Passat inc (2001-2005 Projector type)."

Chris73
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
I think those are the ones Haggis , just ask to make sure they come with a capacitor I,ve just ordered another set through the xenonshop, once they realised I knew that HID'S Direct were supplying them they dropped their price to £100 delivered where as HID'S direct are £104 with tax and postage.

henry8
13-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Are you guys talking about improving non-Xenon headlights with HID kits, or upgrading Xenon headlights with brighter bulbs?

How are the older (B5) S4/RS4 Xenons? I'm going to be replacing my existing A4 B5 (non-Xenon) headlights with the full S4/RS4 Xenon headlights, hope they're good enough on their own!

Chris73
13-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Replacing halogen filament bulbs with HID kits, I should think if you're getting the real deal then there would be no need to change