PDA

View Full Version : Engine Management light turned on??

Primo1000
01-02-2008, 02:23 PM
Hey guys,

A couple of days ago I topped up the oil in my Mk4 Golf GTI 2.0, it was at the lower end of the hashed section of the dipstick so I topped it up steadily to slightly above the hashed area but not outside section A as it describes in the manual.

Also the car had been stood for about 10 minutes after a journey with the engine turned off to allow the oil in the engine to return down into the sump, but the engine still slightly warm.

The day after coming home from work, (it was fine in the morning) when I started up the car the Engine Management light came on.
The day after it took two goes to start the car which it never normally does and the EM light remained on.

Is it possible that I have put too much oil in?? Although I have since checked the oil level and it seems fine according to the manual.

I know I should have it checked but would like some advice in case a dodgey mechanic tries to rip me off for stuff I don't need doing.

Any help would be great.

Eshrules
01-02-2008, 02:29 PM
if it was the oil, the oil warning light would come on, not the EMS.

if i were you, get it someone friendly and get it fault read, i do this in my spare time, if you're nearby, i'll help you out....

Primo1000
01-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Couldn't a slight excess of oil cause sensors in the cat or elsewhere to get wrong readings in the exhaust gases???

Anyone else??

Eshrules
01-02-2008, 07:04 PM
Couldn't a slight excess of oil cause sensors in the cat or elsewhere to get wrong readings in the exhaust gases???

Anyone else??

it could do, but it could also be 101 other things. for what it would cost you at a garage, a fault read would be invaluable in assisting to figuring out whats wrong here

:)

Primo1000
01-02-2008, 09:01 PM
I've found out what the problem is, the underside engine cover that is missing that I mentioned in other threads is allowing water to splash up the engine bay and cause a problem with the ignition coil. Had the fault codes erased and looking for an engine cover to stop this occurring. If this doesn't stop it the ignition coil is under warranty and will be replaced FOC.