PDA

View Full Version : Hello from a newbie!

rega3
13-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Just a quick hello, made my way here from SeatCupra.net.

Currently thinking about a change to the new MKV GTI Golf, I'm sure there are owners on here, are they as good as the magazines, TG etc all tell us?

I'm hoping to arrange a test drive in the next few days, will post my own comments then! I hope to notice a significant improvement over my current 2002 Leon Cupra!

Congrats on a great site BTW! :beerchug:

stuart
13-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi

Thanks for joining, and your comments.

I also own a Leon Cupra, mine was the first 2003 in the country...been a good car to yet.

The only details I have on the new GTi are from the VAG press pack/realeases which I get, which I have put on this site. Not sure if you have seen it? you can find it here if not: http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=206

It would be great if you could post your comments on the new GTi on here, may make good reading from a personal view, as they say.

I look forward to reading it.

Thanks

Stuart

rega3
13-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Stuart.

I have been on SCN for a while now but I think its time for a change of car, was thinking about the Leon CupraR but the GTI seems to be a really good option.

I've sat in one in a showroom and the driving position and finish quality are first class, its how it drives though that I am most interested in. For sure I will put up my opinions when I do get a test drive.

The Leon is a great car too, I had an Ibiza Cupra before this also and really enjoyed it. :beerchug:

gibby
14-01-2005, 07:26 PM
Hi rega3, welcome to the site. I've not heard a bad review about the mk5 GTi yet, it is supposed to be a very very nice car in every way, although I've heard recently that they have had a recall already though, something to do with the bolt that holds the gear on the oil pump not torqued correctly on some of the cars. :( If you get one let us know how you get on, I saw one in the flesh the other day and it looked fantastic. :approve:

rega3
14-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Thanks Gibby for the welcome.

I'm hoping to take one out on test during the week and if I can get a good trade in on my Leon will be seriously considering it.

I don't use a car to get to work so it will almost be a weekend car, it has all the required features I need plus it is a brand new shape and as a result should hold its value well, I think.

Will post again when I've been out in it. :beerchug:

gibby
17-01-2005, 03:31 PM
rega3, when you get one I would like to know what options you went for and if they were worth the extra :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

rega3
17-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Gibby, I am in Ireland and believe it or not, the standard 5 dr with the DSG box is pretty close to the equivalent of £25k, and that is without Climatronic or alarm! :( but does include a sunroof :confused: :confused: , don't ask me why?

Either way I will have a test drive but the only extras I would consider are air-con and maybe the driver arm rest but that would be it. The DSG box is meant to be worth the money, but believe it or not I am told the only car with this fitted is the press demo car so will have to join the queue to try that.

I do like the look of the car though, think it looks suitably understated, just like my Leon. :beerchug:

stuart
17-01-2005, 05:18 PM
If I remeber correct, I don't think it is much cheaper if you import from the UK mainland is it? I used to deal with a chap from Southern Ireland on the parts side, and I am led to belive the import duty is a fortune.

Could always try importing from Germany I suppose.....

Stuart

rega3
17-01-2005, 05:58 PM
We pay an extra 25-30% because of Vehicle Registration Tax on the full price over here :mad: :mad:

The DSG box is cheaper here though, don't know why, about 1500 euros against 2000 in the UK.

:beerchug:

rega3
24-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Good to hear about the What Car Award too!:D

stuart
24-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Good to hear about the What Car Award too!:D

Nice to see you can post now as well;) still no idea what the problem was though.

Stuart