PDA

View Full Version : Help My Poor Little Golf

tsunami
31-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi all,

I really hope someone can help me. Im having a problem with my Golf TDI (90bhp, year: 2000). A few months ago i had my car remapped and i love it there is so much more power where i need it.

Over the last few months it seemed as if i was loosing a bit a power and urgency when putting my foot down (not that i do it alot). I thought i was just being paranoid and getting used to the power so i have not worried about it.

I took it out for a test run today and although there was power there i am sure that it is not as much as i had after the remap. It almost feels as if the car is still running on 90bhp. To add to this when testing the car i found that when i put my foot down hard in any gear in my rear view mirror i could see smoke coming out of my exhaust. It was quite alot of smoke. The smoke is not visible when driving normally, only when i slam the accelarator to the floor.

At first with the power loss i thought it may just be the MAF sensor (after reading through this forum) so i was going to buy a new pierburg one this weekend. But now i fear it may be someting worse with the smoke from the exhaust when i put my foot down.

Would a faulty MAF cause smoke as well? or what else could it be?

Any advise would be appreciated :1zhelp:

P.s. i had the cars oil/oil filter changed 4 months ago and the air filter changed about 2 months ago.

v6dub
01-02-2008, 09:58 AM
I don't know all that much about TDIs but from what i have picked up over the years, it sounds like the turbo may be on the way out. how much oil is it burning?

Eshrules
01-02-2008, 10:00 AM
hi,

firstly, can I ask who remapped your car for you and what Bhp did they state they had remapped it to?

secondly, do not worry too much about the smoke, unless the car is doing it constantly, there really is nothing to worry about, all dervs smoke when placed under load, moreso when remapped.

the symptoms you describe are typical of a failing MAF, there are 2 options, you can either run vagcom, take some logs and check the requested MAF values against the actual. these should not be too different from each other.

the other option you have is to unplug the MAF and see how the car runs without it. if the car runs more or less the same, i'd say with %99 certainty the MAF is faulty. if the car runs significantly worse, there is a chance it could be something else.

however, at 8 years old, it is more than likely the MAF has fouled.

any more questions, don't be afraid to ask. :beerchug:

tsunami
01-02-2008, 04:53 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your prompt replies. The car was done by Chipped UK in Bromsgrove to about 125bhp (i think). I will do the MAF test today on my drive homw from work. I hope it is not the turbo as i had a problem with it about 7 months ago and the garage sorted it (i think they said it seized or something) and i paid £300 for it to be fixed.

Eshrules
01-02-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for your prompt replies. The car was done by Chipped UK in Bromsgrove to about 125bhp (i think). I will do the MAF test today on my drive homw from work. I hope it is not the turbo as i had a problem with it about 7 months ago and the garage sorted it (i think they said it seized or something) and i paid £300 for it to be fixed.

Hi,

no thanks is necessary. this is why you have this forum ;)

in an ideal world, the remapping company really ought to have checked for existing faults before remapping the car, remapping a car with an existing fault is bonkers in my eyes.

I recently had my golf remapped and the remapper promptly identified an airflow issue, a new MAF later and we were ok to proceed.

regards to the fault, are you able to explain what 'work' the garage did? ideally, a recon turbo should have been fitted, that charge would be about right (i think) for a recon turbo and fitment (the seizure you describe will be the turbo vanes, which is a very common fault) .

worry not, about the turbo, until we have removed all other possibilities.

let me know how you get on with the MAF run, if needs be we will try to get your car fault read/logged and see if we can figure this out for you.

sadly, the remap may be complicating matters, but that can be overcome.

:Blush:

tsunami
02-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Hi Eshrules thanks for the reply and help. Just to give an update i drove without the MAF on yesterday but because i was in so much trafic i couldnt get up to no speed anyway. But i could not feel any difference really. Because i could not get up to any speed i tried a test as recomended by someone else on the forum which was to rev the car and see if it revs past 5000 revs. I did it and it reved right past 5000 revs. Does this mean the MAF is ok?

Another question if anyone can help, when i put my foot down really hard i can hear the gears grumbling loud as the car picks up speed. Is this normal? Sorry im a complete novice :Blush2:

Thanks for all the replies

Eshrules
02-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Hi Mate,

no apologies needed, in fact if you insist on apologizing, i shall come and beat you with an olive branch :approve:

the MAF (as far as i know) doesn't necessarily limit the revs, but the power.

i had my suspicions that my MAF was on it's way out, but did not become noticeable until put on a Dyno and the engine placed under load.

we're playing a bit of a guessing game here really, what we need to do is get that car code read, make sure there is nothing un-toward. (which the remapper should have done).

can i ask you whereabouts you are mate? if you're local to me, pop around and i'll scan your car, we can take it from there

:Blush:

Hi Eshrules thanks for the reply and help. Just to give an update i drove without the MAF on yesterday but because i was in so much trafic i couldnt get up to no speed anyway. But i could not feel any difference really. Because i could not get up to any speed i tried a test as recomended by someone else on the forum which was to rev the car and see if it revs past 5000 revs. I did it and it reved right past 5000 revs. Does this mean the MAF is ok?

Another question if anyone can help, when i put my foot down really hard i can hear the gears grumbling loud as the car picks up speed. Is this normal? Sorry im a complete novice :Blush2:

Thanks for all the replies

Crasher
02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Now you have disconnected the MAF, when it has a fault code read done it WILL have a MAF fault stored and now you will not know if that code was there before. It is not a good idea to disconnect the MAF before a fault code read, yes, do it after a code read has shown no codes but not before. As someone else has also pointed out on here today, unless the MAF code is now cleared, some models will not respond to a new MAF, so further confusing the situation. Even disconnecting the MAF does not prove it is either faulty or not, the only sure way is to substitute a new genuine VAG exchange unit but the rule I use on TDI’s, “no codes, no power, new MAF” works for me 90% of the time.

Eshrules
02-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Now you have disconnected the MAF, when it has a fault code read done it WILL have a MAF fault stored and now you will not know if that code was there before. It is not a good idea to disconnect the MAF before a fault code read, yes, do it after a code read has shown no codes but not before. As someone else has also pointed out on here today, unless the MAF code is now cleared, some models will not respond to a new MAF, so further confusing the situation. Even disconnecting the MAF does not prove it is either faulty or not, the only sure way is to substitute a new genuine VAG exchange unit but the rule I use on TDI’s, “no codes, no power, new MAF” works for me 90% of the time.

Crasher my good friend, without questioning your immense knowledge :p

i was always under the impression that the MAF did not generate it's own specific code? ........

also, i must plead ignorance to the fact that unless that code is cleared, the car would not respond to a new MAF, but this is related to the above... i must admit i was unaware of that, are you aware of what models this occurs with?

Crasher
02-02-2008, 10:01 PM
Possible MAF fault codes for a 2000 AGR engine,

17552 P1144 Air mass meter -G70 Open circuit/short to earth
Caused by unplugging the MAF or a faulty MAF.

16485 P0101 Air mass meter -G70 Implausible signal,
Faulty MAF-a very rare code to see

17553 P1145 Air mass meter -G70 Short to positive
Never seen that one

17554 P1146 Air mass meter -G70 Voltage supply
Usually fuse 39 but accompanied by other codes

Cars that fail to respond to a new MAF without clearing a MAF code vary but most VEP TDI models seem to be affected; there is no hard and fast rule on this.

Eshrules
02-02-2008, 10:09 PM
thanks for that matey ;)

so PD's are mostly unaffected by the reset rule....

you learn something every day :Blush:

Crasher
02-02-2008, 10:12 PM
so PD's are mostly unaffected by the reset rule....

Not necessarcelery [sic]

tsunami
03-02-2008, 01:29 PM
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I have learnt a great deal since starting this thread :biglaugh:. Its no problem what i shall do is get VAG-COM and clear all the faults, then run the car for a while whilst leaving the MAF plugged in at all times. I shall then get it re scanned and see what faults appear. Eshules thanks for the kind offer but i am in Birmingham so it is quite a distance. What i have noticed though is the VAG-COM cables you sell. I will definately be buying one :beerchug:

Thanks everyone.

redmax90
03-02-2008, 02:06 PM
regards to the fault, are you able to explain what 'work' the garage did? ideally, a recon turbo should have been fitted, that charge would be about right (i think) for a recon turbo and fitment (the seizure you describe will be the turbo vanes, which is a very common fault) .

hi, AGR engines dont have a variable geometry turbo and therefore dont have the 'vanes' as was uncorrectly described. :o how long have u been experiencing the lack of power with the car ?? how many miles are on it ? did the car perform fine before the remap ? A change of the MAF wud certainly let ya see if it makes any difference.. or try cleaning it with wd40just to see if it works. the smoke is a con of the remap ..its basically over fueling itself and the black smoke is the super heated unburnt fuel in the exhaust. how do experience the lack of power ..is the power band lumpy or just plain dead ?

Crasher
03-02-2008, 09:56 PM
In defence of my good friend eshrules, he did not know it was an AGR engine at that point as I had not pointed it out at that point; the original poster tsunami had not furnished us with that information.

redmax90
03-02-2008, 10:22 PM
Granted ... i can now hold my hand up and say that in light of that i was a misjudgement..but it has been known for eshrules to make some shall we say interesting statements in the past. :D heres a thing too ..i think eshrules is a girl ?? am i right ?

Eshrules
03-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Granted ... i can now hold my hand up and say that in light of that i was a misjudgement..but it has been known for eshrules to make some shall we say interesting statements in the past. :D heres a thing too ..i think eshrules is a girl ?? am i right ?

ok, 2 corrections i must make here.

i do try my best not to get drawn into what will obviously become a 'match'. these 'interesting statements' you mention are part of trying to help people, i do not for one moment profess to know the ins and outs of every single VAG engine.

secondly, i do belive you have been warned previously for this whole 'male/female' debate and a certain assumption made based upon it?

i can categorically confirm that i am male and that the above statement by Crasher was in fact a typo.

now, back to the matter in hand .....

redmax90
03-02-2008, 11:14 PM
secondly, i do belive you have been warned previously for this whole 'male/female' debate and a certain assumption made based upon it?

Hey, im sorry i really didnt mean to cause ya any offense. at ease man. im sorry. :o
But as for wat ya said about the male/female thing above im totally lost .

vwbora-driver
04-02-2008, 01:39 AM
17552 P1144 Air mass meter -G70 Open circuit/short to earth

This fault came up on my car and i changed the maf but it turned out to be the waste gate valve!

Crasher
04-02-2008, 11:51 AM
Arghh! Sorry about that typo .:o

Eshrules
04-02-2008, 12:55 PM
Arghh! Sorry about that typo .:o

it's alright, i'll slap your wrists with a wrench when i see you ;)

tsunami
04-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi guys,

everyone has been a great help. I would hate for this little problem to cause any conflict within this great forum. :beerchug: