PDA

View Full Version : coolant problem

bazzill
31-01-2008, 06:50 PM
before anyone suggests, i have looked up on the forum for similar problems.

i basically have a big coolant loss problem.
no coolant is apparently leaking under the car but does so whenever i drive.

this is obviuosly becoming a pain in the *** having to top it up everytime i drive.

has anyone else found a definate reason for this? as everyone seems to have mixed reactions as to whats going wrong. the car has only done 60,000 miles so im very sure it cannot be the head gasket.

any suggestions?

Baz

kite
01-02-2008, 11:07 AM
How do you know its not the head gasket ?
You could get a garage to carry out a leak test to see if the cooling system is losing pressure.

bazzill
01-02-2008, 04:59 PM
yeah its booked in with AUDI for monday. probably a bit of a premmature message, just wanted to see if the solution had been found to be anything.

everyone on these forums seems to write about there problem, and when they find the problem dont bother reporting back the solution!

bazzill
05-02-2008, 12:06 AM
having timing belt and failed water pump changed today by audi. £600... robbing B******s!!

bazzill
06-02-2008, 10:08 PM
just to finish it off, water pump and timing belt were changed and all is well with my car, done 350 miles since with no problems... except that the Audi service guys cut all power to my radio.

350 miles in silence werent fun.

Crasher
06-02-2008, 10:27 PM
except that the Audi service guys cut all power to my radio.

That is called disconnecting the battery for health and safety reasons so obviously you have never worked on a car. If some muppet young trainee came along and turned the ignition key (for whatever reason) whilst a mechanics hands were in there, he could lose his way of earning a living or even his life or even just total all the valves if the belt is off, basically disconnecting the battery is THE first rule of repair work. Another example is dropping a spanner onto the starter motor or alternator connection; a 60 odd amp hour battery can turn a spanner into a red hot glowing stick in seconds and torch the car. However they should have recoded it for you but it is not their/our job to re-do your preset stations and tone choice. Also, £600 for that job is spot on at Audi, I am only about £75 cheaper.

bazzill
07-02-2008, 04:41 PM
obviously for safety reasons you disconnect the battery, im not complaining about the quality of the service. im complaining that they messed up my cd player. the fact it was delivered to my house post service and no one noticed that the cd player had no power.

lol @ the never having worked on a car... i do all my Astra servicing myself, but i thought id let Audi do my major service so i didnt mess anything up.

allgermanparts
07-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Hi Bazzil, sorry to hear about your CD problem. I just checked in the workshop (IVC Leeds) where my company Allgermanparts.co.uk is based and they disagree that you should always disconnect the battery when working on a car, only if there is a chance of catching a live unfused cable would it be needed. So unless they were working on the starter, alternator or similar (or airbag) it wouldnt be needed. The guy I asked did his apprenticeship at Leeds Audi, so the info should be good. They could have used a radio saver though if they were disconnecting the battery..
Hope this helps

Crasher
07-02-2008, 05:59 PM
You always disconnect the battery when doing a timing belt for saftey, I am sure Bez would agree with me on that.

bazzill
07-02-2008, 10:58 PM
yeah i would understand for the timing belt, a quick accidentel ignition from dodgy audi wiring could take someones face off in the wrong situation!

the radio saver would have been lovely though..

went to audi early this morning and they happily fixed the problem for me. :)