PDA

View Full Version : Polo brake discs

jantonette
02-11-2006, 07:39 PM
:zx11: We purchased a new Polo 1.4Tdi in Sept 2005. It has now covered 12600 miles. The brakes have been juddering so we took it back to the dealer who informed us that the front disc are warped. They explained that this was a wear and tear item and not covered by the warranty. The Service manager suggested this could have happened by driving the car through a puddle when the brakes were hot.
Call me a sceptic but I contacted VW customer care. They tried a different approach and suggested that speed humps may be the culprit. Now I'm scared to drive the thing in case I go over the wrong type of leaf.
I don't think it unreasonable to expect discs to last more than 12600 miles, most of which have been driven at a snails pace by my wife.
After much whinging VW have offered to provide the discs for nothing leaving us to pay for pads and fitting.
Has anyone else had this problem ? If so how was it resolved ?

Greencampers
02-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Hello

Just been reading your thread. If i was your wife i would stronly insist that a complete check is done by your dealership again you may have a wheel bearing problem. Does your car shudder when you break hard? if it does you may have a wish bone problem. these both would cause premature failure of your discs.

Its not to uncommon for brake pads to last 12k if you do alot of city driving but you should expect around 20k - 30k on a set of pads and around 40k-60k on a set of discs.

Dave

jantonette
02-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks Dave, we will bear it in mind when the car goes back to the garage on Thursday.

frosty
03-11-2006, 10:21 PM
What quality engineering NOT.:aargh4:

Hot brakes splashed with cold water .. result warped disc.. what a crock of an excuse. Tha garage is trying it on

No if the disks are the correct thickness, and they should be at only 12600 .. reported milage ....
then the original part was not fit for purpose !

Insist the garage replaces the the discs and the pads ..all Free of charge ....:D

r u a menber of the AA or RAC .. ? set the either of then onto the garage ... try the trading standards.. Try the small claims court also ...

I drive a R/Rover 3.9 :p and the discs last at least 5 years with hard wear and high milage. Oh yes and lots of cold water on Hot discs with no warping

Typically the b.pads last at least 25K miles per set on the front .. and thats with heavy braking with ABS...

ian d
03-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Did you resolve this problem as I have brake judder on my '55 polo when I brake lightly at higher speeds. Main dealer says nothing wrong with brakes but I don't believe it! Any advice would eb appreciated.

sianmcc
16-04-2008, 05:27 PM
Hmm - I seem to have this brake judder problem too. I phoned the dealership as I had got a call saying I needed to get my brake fluid cleaned or some such. I mentioned the fact that my brakes seemed to be juddery and they said this may be the pads. I asked to see if this would be covered by the warranty (one year's warranty with the car which had a car check when I bought it - in Sept) and they said that no it wouldn't as this was a 'wear and tear' item. I have done 4000 miles since I got the car!!!
Mind you, she did acknowledge that it was unlikely that if the brake pads were good when they did the check that they would be wrecked in 4000 miles!

Anyway, I am checked in for them to have a look in Friday - we shall see....

ian d
16-04-2008, 05:54 PM
It was a warped brake disc - I had to tell them! And now they say it's not covered under warrenty. I am taking it up with VW as in my view a warped disc at any milegae is not wear and tear. I have had the discs and pads looked at independently and they are not worn.