PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke

Speedy
02-11-2006, 02:10 PM
I hope somebody out there can help as the VW agent in France cannot locate the fault and seems not to have any idea what to do next.[/FONT][/SIZE]
The first sign of a problem on my 1996 Sharan TDI happened when the vehicle was started from cold and was being tested for emissions, the revs on the engine were taken quite high, the engine then started to miss and white smoke came from the exhaust it then stalled, after several attempts the engine started but was missing badly, by letting it tick over it eventually cleared and started to fire correctly, since then when the ignition is turned on the glow plug warning on the dash illuminates then goes off almost immidiately.

Since then the vehicle has been difficult to start from cold also thick white smoke come's from the exhaust on over run (using the gearbox to slow down ) then when attempting to accelerate the engine would miss then stall, it was found that if the clutch was depressed and the engine allowed to tick over it was then possible to pull away as normal.

When the vehicle broke down on the motorway it again emitted thick white smoke from the exhaust but when the clutch was depressed the engine stalled and could not be restarted.

The following parts were tried, tested or replaced in the UK to try and overcome the problem prior to the breakdown, number 3 injector was removed and tested, it was found to be working correctly, relays 109 and 103 were removed and replaced but this made no difference so the originals were refitted, the timing was checked and found to be correct (new cam belt fitted), the fuel pump pressure was also checked, the crankshaft sensor and tempsender were also replaced.
The car has now been in France for three weeks :zx11:, I would be very gratefull for any help you may be able to give.

Speedy
02-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Whilst the Sharan is still in France my son-in-law may have found a possible answer to the problem, although the VW garage in France has now quoted 8000 €uros to repair (they seem to think the English are a soft touch) my diesel fitter son-in-law is hopefull he can repair it for just a few pounds and a few hours work.
What he says may have happened is the bolt that holds a pulley to the crank shaft which the timing belt goes around could have worked lose and even possibly damaged the keyway which could allow the timing to slip so that when the engine was pulling this kept the bolt tight, but on over run the bolt and pulley could loosen which could allow the timing belt to slip a notch or two, the engine would not then fire correctly so unbrnt fuel would then cause the clouds of white smoke seen coming from the exhust, this all seems pretty logical, I have my fingers crossed.
I will keep you posted once I return the car to the UK and he has had chance to try the repair.

Speedy
09-12-2006, 08:20 PM
Got the old girl home at last and we have had a quick look, the son-in-laws suspicions have proved to be correct, the crankshaft pulley was very lose and the retaining bolt only finger tight, the timing was two teeth of the cam belt out, although I now need to order a new pulley and bolt we did a temporary repair just to check it would start and :biglaugh: it did so I will order the parts Monday and after a couple of hours work should be back on the road.
---------------
Pulley and bolt arrived next day (cost less than £26) and was fitted and engine running in under 4 hours after having to rub down the end of the slightly damaged crankshaft caused by the damaged pulley keyway, the unburnt fuel left in the exhaust system causing the white smoke disappeared after a short while so alls well once again, all thanks to top mechanic Shane the son-in-law.

RickT
30-12-2006, 01:27 AM
good to see you got her back on the road.... when i read White Smoke... i thought head Gasket time!!

Cheers

RiCKT

Speedy
05-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Hi RICKT, Lucky enough it was not the head gasket, as I say it was quite a simple job for someone who knows what they are doing, glad to have the old girl back and running.