PDA

View Full Version : Power problems

davehitt13
30-01-2008, 11:04 PM
We have a 2002 Seat Alhambra 1.9 TDi. Recently we have noticed that when we go up through the gears, there is a tendency for the car to either lose power or not be able to accelerate. Does anyone have any ideas what might be going wrong? We have just had a service partly because I thought it might be the fuel filter not allowing the diesel into the engine. This didn't seem to help much. Any other bright ideas, guys and girls?? :confused:

Emily's dad
24-02-2008, 12:08 PM
I've had the same problem with mine.
I did some searching about and the same problems have been identified on the Ford Galaxy owners site and the Seat forum.

www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?showtopic=15484&st=0&gopid=125588&#entry125588 (http://www.fordgalaxy.org.uk/ford/index.php?showtopic=15484&st=0&gopid=125588&#entry125588)

It would seem that the variable vanes in the turbo charger stick, especially if like us you do mainly short trips on a gentle throttle. This can lead to overboost of the turbo when you do call for full power and the car goes into limp mode, reducingpower. Getting the turbo very hot burns off excess carbon and you have full power back.

The link above should lead you to the full topic on the galaxy forum, apologies if it doesn't I'm not a computer whizz.

Dave

chris m
09-03-2008, 02:44 PM
We have similar problems with ours but only if we nail it hard (over 3500rpm). It basically loses power and runs as though non turbo. if you turn the engine off and back on it sorts it out. we have been advised that it could be a duff air mass meter that is causing the problem as it sems to be a common problem. at about 85 quid for a new one i haven't invested yet but i suppose i will have too one day.

Emily's dad
09-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Have you tried the "engine workout" as suggested on the link above in the ford galaxy owners club, seems to have done the trick for us.

Dave:drive:

matjill
13-03-2008, 11:28 PM
I had the same problem, changed the air mass meter first made no difference, then I gave the engine a good work out 6-7 hr of hard driving and still the same no power going uphill max speed 60mph. I read all the treads and decided to change the turbo cost an arm and a leg. result still the same. Then I had the fault codes read (which should of been the first thing to do). cut a long story short the inlet manifold was clogged up with gunge and the EGR valve was all bunged up, and the vacuum control N75 was no good , cleaned and replace - another small fortune, Now steady 3000 revs reach 90 mph no problem.

Emily's dad
24-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Have you tried the "engine workout" as suggested on the link above in the ford galaxy owners club, seems to have done the trick for us.

Dave:drive:

Well it didn't quite fix the problem as I had hoped. The car went into my local Seat dealers today for its service. I mentioned that I had suffered this problem so they hooked it up to thier diagnostic kit. It is still apparently overboosting intermittently, although we hadn't noticed it in our everyday driving.
Unfortunately they have yet to work out what exactly is causing it, so they will be keeping the car until it is sorted. On the plus side they have given me a loan car and as mine is still under warranty they said that however many parts need checking or changing it won't cost me a penny.
I will keep you updated.

Emily's dad
25-04-2008, 06:38 PM
Just got the car back and it was the N75 Pressure converter for the turbo, not the vanes sticking as I had thought.

All sorted under warranty, hopefully not to go wrong again

Emily's dad
08-06-2008, 08:58 AM
Just got the car back and it was the N75 Pressure converter for the turbo, not the vanes sticking as I had thought.

All sorted under warranty, hopefully not to go wrong again

Well the N75 being changed hasn't done the trick, its cut out again a couple of times, so it's going back next week, hopefully to be sorted this time.

Makes you start to think that even authorised dealers don't really know what they are doing.

andypcbudman
31-08-2008, 09:58 PM
HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 1999 1.9TDi, WOULDN'T REV PAST 3000RPM AND ALL POWER DIPPED AT THIS POINT. I ALSO TOW A CARAVAN AND SUFFERED TOTAL POWER LOSS ON HILLS i.e 20MPH FLAT OUT IN 2ND,EMBARRASING!! SPOKE TO LOCAL MECHANIC MATEY WHO SAID STRAIGHT AWAY MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR, WHEN I ASKED SHOULD I REPLACE IT HE SAID JUST UNPLUG IT!! I DID THAT 6 MONTHS AGO AND SHE GOES LIKE THE PROVERBIAL OFF A SHOVEL NOW AND ACCELERATES FREELY PAST 4500REVS SUFFERED NO SIDE EFFECTS.

max5765
26-09-2008, 01:20 PM
I had exactly the same symptons as you. As my 05 Stylance Tip tdi was under warranty I took it back to the dealer. After 3 days of trialling different parts the conclusion was that the "Turbo was sticking", I have never heard anything like this before but the dealer fitted a new unit under warranty (3 months ago) and the problem seems to have been cured. They still haven't cured the bloody waterleak into the drivers footwell though:zx11:. All drain holes have been checked by both the dealer and myself and everything is OK. Guess I'll just have to persever with for now. One plus point I did get nice new cab carpets under warranty but these are now starting to niff a bit!

chris m
04-10-2008, 01:20 PM
The problem we seemed to be having hasn't appeared for a while despite some heavy driving and long runs. Then it lost power again the other day while driving nice and steady, the heater blower went off and the engine into limp mode??? cant understand the blower going off though. any ideas anyone?

kareandy
22-03-2009, 02:36 PM
re leak in footwell the pipe for rear wash wipe goes along under the carpet trim i found the pipe connection had come loose resulting in everytime i squirted water it was leaking

Angarak
22-03-2009, 05:58 PM
re leak in footwell the pipe for rear wash wipe goes along under the carpet trim i found the pipe connection had come loose resulting in everytime i squirted water it was leaking

This happens a lot in winter times, when the water in the pipe freezes in low temp, causing the connector to pop-off when you try to use it.