PDA

View Full Version : agghhh Car won't start.

onzarob
02-11-2006, 10:54 AM
Lovely frosty morning today and car won't start, Immobiliser light keeps flashing as if key not read. car fires then dies instantly. Can't read the fault code as laptop still being repaired. Any suggestions. I only have one key so can't try another.

Rob:1zhelp:

adamss24
02-11-2006, 05:15 PM
did you drop hard the keys lattely ? maybe the transponder is damaged and the receiver doesnt pick the signal. Remove the car battery see if anything changes. if it doesnt work you will need a new key programmed...

Greencampers
02-11-2006, 08:38 PM
Hi

try switching your car on and off 6 times. this should reset if there is no problems.

Good luck

onzarob
02-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the reply now fixed.

I read the fault codes as detail below

Thursday, 02 November 2006, 19:18:17
VAG-COM Version: Release 409.1-S

Control Module Part Number: 8D0 919 930 M
Component and/or Version: B5-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D15
Software Coding: 05440
Work Shop Code: WSC 00386
Additional Info: IMMO-IDENTNR: AUZ7Z0X0881006
3 Faults Found:
01039 - Coolant Temperature Sensor (G2)
30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent
01176 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
65-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
01176 - Shareware Version. To Decode all DTCs
07-10 - Please Register/Activate - Intermittent
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignore the temp sensor thats a job for a warmer day!!!

01176 - Key Faulty: Signal too Low

I tried the six key turns no luck, tried the battery in the fob no diiference

I then thought I would login to the immobilser as i have the SKC code, I read that once you login the immobiliser does not check the key again. Car started perfect. Immobilser light stays on at this point. Logged out of controller and waited till the immobiliser logged off whe (yellow light not constant on).

Then put the key in light flashed went out and car started again, left 10 mins and all is still good.

I can only think the immobiliser was out of sorts, software error, by logging in it reset the key reading.

Hope it works in the morning.

I'll keep you posted, now to get a second key!!!

Rob:D

Adam the disconnected battery may of worked but i didn't try that.

adamss24
02-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Dont ignore the coolant temp sensor as it has 4pins, 2 are used by the temp gauge and the other two are used by the ECU and if they are way out of spec then it will trick the ECU into thinking its too hot and will not inject enough fuel to keep up with a cold start plus the glow plugs wont be switched on. It only costs 11 quid +Vat at Euro Car Parts and takes few minutes to fit. Your fault indicates its intermitent that means its electrical, so check the pins/conectors for corosion and throw some silicone grease(dielectric grease from MAPLIN) and it should be ok. See when you look into the engines measuring blocks, if any temp reading(coolant Celsius degrees) are out of speck-including ambient temps... Get a new key cut just to be on the safe side. Good luck mate....

onzarob
02-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I thought that might of been the problem this morning, i will get it sorted. The temp gauge works ocassionally then packs up, i assumed that i would get a G69 error if the ECU side was playing up? ordering part now!

dieselmonkey
07-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Onzarob,

I see you are having fun with your motor again. Just as well you set yourself up with a copy of Vag-Com...

I also, still have the fault with the temp sensor as you may know from previous posts. Changed the temp sender, but to no avail. But it seems the colder it gets the more chance I have of it moving. But only just above 70 degrees.

I popped into my local Audi garage for some FREE advice. They said that it was most likely the clock itself. Which comes as a complete cluster, to the tune of £400 plus an hour and a half’s fitting at £85 ph + the dreaded.

As of yet, I have still not done anything about it...

With that and the bloody timing issue... I might just take it in and have done with it...

onzarob
07-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Hi Dieselmonkey, The joy of motoring!!! well the key thing is ok for now, I was more annoyed with the fact that my laptop is still being rapired and when the car went wrong i couldn't read the code there and then!!!!

I also suspect the instrument cluster, but I hoping the temp sensor is the problem as it's allot cheeper!!!! It worked all day today:aargh4:

I found this if you interested http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?content=audi_a4_dashboard_cluster_fai ling

very good site and some common faults listed, may save you a few pennys!!!

Rob :D

dieselmonkey
08-11-2006, 01:45 PM
Strangely enough mine worked all day on the 07th Nov. But not today. Not a budge. It seems the colder it is, the more likely we are to get a reading.

Thanks for the info, ill have a look.

onzarob
20-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Key wouldn't read again yetersday, but manage to fix it temporaly. undid the steering wheel adjuster, move wheel up and down. tried again and all worked fine.

So from this very scientific test I would summise that I have a bad connection or failing inductive ring...now where are did I put my screwdrivers!!!

jjduffgts
29-01-2007, 10:00 PM
hello please can anyone help me i seem to have very similar problems to you but i only have carmen scan lite diognostics equipment and cant clear these faults.these are the fault codes i have 01176 key i can clear this but when i switch the car off and on again it comes back also ecu blocked fault is there but my computer wont clear this.is there some code for the engine immobilizer any help would be great thanks:1zhelp:

onzarob
29-01-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi,

To bypass the ECU blocked fault the car needs to read the key, or you need the immobilser SKC code and VAG-COM to sign in.

The most likey cause is the inductive loop around the ignition key, as it fails. mine still doesn't read fromtime to time i think its the connector in the steering colomn.

Hope this helps

jjduffgts
29-01-2007, 10:37 PM
thanks for your help can you tell me what the skc code is for and how do i get it also i tried an ecu and ignition out of another car and the car ran but my car is 1043cc and the other car is 999cc which uses injectors so i had fault codes for injectors that arent even on my engine also the car would not rev prpoerly and cut out if i chinged the inlet manifold to suit the injector type ecu would this work thanks

onzarob
30-01-2007, 06:15 AM
the SKC is the security code for the immobilser. its on a plastic tag with the keys when the car was new. Unfortunaly if you don'y have it then you need to contact VW or a Good Auto locksmith may be able to help.

On the ECU Question. I would start a new thread in the polo section, get a better response there.

duffyb
05-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Onzarob,

Interested to here you talk of using your laptop to diagnose. Can you give me info as to where I can get s'ware. (I have 1999 1.8T + 2001 2.5 Tdi)

Brian

onzarob
05-02-2007, 06:17 PM
Ross-tech write the software www.ross-tech.com (http://www.ross-tech.com) , you can download a freeware version, you can get a cable from here http://www.gendan.co.uk/vag_diagnostics.php

That should do it.

duffyb
06-02-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks, I will check it out. I have just retired so may have more time for this type of thing.

Muddy19
31-05-2007, 08:42 PM
i got exactly the same problem! immobileser light comes on, and your car starts and dies after a split second.

ma car is also 1.9tdi. it really really really p*sses me off.

all i do is take key out, and re-insert it. (and hopefully it dont flash this time around)

P.S- i was reading your forum, but i dont think i still know how to sort this out, and how much it gona cost me.

any feedback would be apprecieted.

onzarob
31-05-2007, 10:17 PM
Well since my last post i had the problem again, towhich point it wouldn't read at all. So ifinally got down to the cause and fixed it. (benn alright for a week or more at least:D )

I was getting around the problem by loosing the steering ajustment and giving it a shake...worked for while!

Now i have cleaned the connector to the loop thats around the ingniton barrel, to do this i took off the steering cowel. and there is a little connector that connects the wirring to the loop, i disconnected it and sprayed it with switch cleaner and all seems to be fine...fingers crossed. The connector is very small and because its a small connection I have assume that years of minor corrosion has change the resistance of the inductive loop making it less reliable. the key tended not to read when the interior was very hot or very cold. So i'm hoping it will now be ok, and as it didn't work at all this time until i did this it definalty the area of concern.

I bought the switvh cleaner fromhalford, i didn't take pictures asi was in a rush but it ovbiuos when you have a look.

As backup i have my laptop in the car and login to the immoblser using the SKC code, this deactivates the imobilser for 10mins letting you get home.

Sorry for the long reply, just my thought processes;)

PS When i get time and I'm happy that its a permenant fix I'll do a proper write up.