PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding bosch diesel injector pump

philbarber
30-01-2008, 05:34 PM
Has anyone had experience of rebuilding a bosch diesel injector pump. I have got a spare pump and the costs of reconditioning are massive.

Is it within the scope of an engine builder, and can the parts be obtained? If so where from?

Regard
Philbarber.

philbarber
06-02-2008, 05:42 PM
6/2/09
Ill take that as a NO then.

Phil.

scotty33
19-02-2008, 01:05 AM
If you were still interested these may give you an idea? (not sure how different the 5 cylinder pump is, but they did not get the 5 cyl tdi in US, and I don't know of any UK sites!)

http://www.dieselgeek.com/TDI_Injection_Pump_Head_Seal_Replacement.htm

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=75740&page=2

You can see that there are parts kits available from bosch, but from what I read, a diy repair can only go so far, certain parts and skills are required (i.e Bosch only) for a full rebuild.

philbarber
19-02-2008, 02:11 PM
Thanks Scotty, thats useful stuff.
I took the plunge and stripped the pump that had made my engine unpredictably rough. From a mechanical perspective the pump was perfect apart for the advance adjuster being a little bit tight. It's well within the grasp of a mechanical engineer to rebuild the mechanical side one of these bosch EDC pumps. In fact they are an engineers delight. However the electronic control unit, advance control unit and the shut off solenoid are now suspect and very difficult to test. I will have to find a way of getting these tested or replaced.

Has anybody got any contacts for bosch parts and testing in the UK?

Regards
Phil Barber

neil w
08-03-2008, 09:01 PM
try www.dieselbob.co.uk

dean warren
16-03-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks Scotty, thats useful stuff.
I took the plunge and stripped the pump that had made my engine unpredictably rough. From a mechanical perspective the pump was perfect apart for the advance adjuster being a little bit tight. It's well within the grasp of a mechanical engineer to rebuild the mechanical side one of these bosch EDC pumps. In fact they are an engineers delight. However the electronic control unit, advance control unit and the shut off solenoid are now suspect and very difficult to test. I will have to find a way of getting these tested or replaced.

Has anybody got any contacts for bosch parts and testing in the UK?

Regards
Phil Barber
can i ask what was wrong with your car? mine idles fine one minute then chuggs spluters and ticks over very porley the next, is this the same problems? did you fix it?

philbarber
17-03-2008, 10:49 PM
can i ask what was wrong with your car? mine idles fine one minute then chuggs spluters and ticks over very porley the next, is this the same problems? did you fix it?

Hi Dean,
I had similar problems to you but even worse. Some days my car would slutter and smoke, the next day it would run Ok ish then get worse. To fix this I had to change the injector pump. The faulty one I had taken off was mechanicly perfect so it was the electronic control that was failing.

The replacement pump showed some of the common inconsistant responce to the throttel and inconsistant smoothness. Stripping it and cleaning the sticky advance mechanism made it much more consistant. This job is one that requires clinical environment and attention to detail when rebuilding. It's quite a big job when you consider the timing setup job that has to follow it. Only take it on if you are very confident as a mechanic. If in doubt a good half way house is Forte diesel cleaner pored neat into the fuel filter.

If you get into trouble get in touch.

Regards
Phil Barber.

apdiesels
13-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Removed, see edited notes