PDA

View Full Version : 2.8 Quattro 30v

Muddy19
30-01-2008, 01:07 AM
hey y'all, just was hoping for some of your opinions and thoughts.

i bought a tdi (ahu) bout 9 months back. done 22,000miles innit since and its a strong moter. literally spents thousands on it and its driving fine.

that was when i was 19. now i'm 20, i want a differnt car. love A4's and am seriously considering 2.8 quattro 30v as next car (after holiday in bout 5months time)

reason being i want sumthing with a bit more "grunt" (who doesnt at 20), and in the beginning i was beating all my mates yaris's and polos and the teletubbie car (nissan micra bubble shape). but now they pulling out new corsa's and polo tdi's (the rich kids on the block). so i want to also upgrade......(not only for that though)

i understand insurance to be my biggest worry. but my love for audis will (somewhere in my mind) put that to a side. also fuel is gona perhaps another issue. I need your help (all you older more mature wiser men) to weigh up the pro's and cons before me dishing out max £4k on a (10yr?) old moter.

the car will not be high mileage (hopefully) and will be looked after properly. but.....the most important question, is buying this car (after the holiday) something i may regret?

i understand the quattro to be brilliant, but would the extra weight hinder performance and comfort? (therefore make the car slow?) does this car have any common faults.

would the 193hp be more than enough? or would i be better getting a ricer and start remap and exhaust, etc....

i want something luxurious, quick (in at least) the first 3 gears, be a safe and sensiable buy, and something that will last me ( want to keep the car until insurance man says "ok, you can have an s4")

have you owned this car? - how would you rate it? imagine a 20year driver, sometimes heavy foot and goes at mad speeds and sometimes just likes a relaxing drive. wants a "sleeper" of a car, but that is quick. very quick. also comfy in terms of ride. if you've owned one, would you recommend it?

i do apologise for the lengthy post, but all your help would be appriected as its potentially gona cost me a lot of money (upto 4k for car, 3k for insurance, and maintainance? - (going off the last car, every note in my wallet, card, overdraft and wage!)

many thanks in advance....

auroan
12-02-2008, 04:10 PM
reason being i want sumthing with a bit more "grunt" (who doesnt at 20), and in the beginning i was beating all my mates yaris's and polos and the teletubbie car (nissan micra bubble shape). but now they pulling out new corsa's and polo tdi's (the rich kids on the block). so i want to also upgrade......(not only for that though)

, quick (in at least) the first 3 gears, be a safe and sensiable buy, and something that will last me ( want to keep the car until insurance man says "ok, you can have an s4")

Why does this read " TRAFFIC LIGHT GP" ?

Tip from some one slightly older and (poss) wiser. Ignore what other have and get a car you like, can afford and will not kill you if you decide to do something stupid like race other cars.

lonky
13-02-2008, 12:24 AM
2.8 quattro is basically same speed off the lights as 2.4 2wd. The 4x4 box saps about 30-40bhp.

That said, in the wet, you will leave any 2wd standing.

consumption will be between 20 & 30mpg, but compared what you will pay in insurance can't see that being an issue.

Nout wrong with a ten year old Audi, if it's been looked after OK. They can do high mileages if serviced correctly.

Look under the car for oil leaks though, as the V6's can leak badly, and nothing will ruin you street cred more than sitting at the lights with oil smoke coming out of the wheel arches !

Muddy19
13-02-2008, 01:08 AM
thank you for the reply auroan. I know you probably make me out to be a little chav who wants to go fast, but i hope i can convince you otherwise. im just an ordinary bloke who drives a fair number of mixed (moterway and town) miles a year.

having owned an audi i have no probs when it comes to semi-luxury or realibilty. yes i will hold my hands and say i drive fast, but not always. my only worry is if the car is not gona be as quick or powerful as i think (due to the weight).

whatever you said about the traffic lights, yes i do like to get ahead of everyone at the lights but doest mean i do crazy speeds around town. i do have this image thing with a few of my mates, and some not my mates, but a lot of people do at 20. my hobbies are audi. have been since my dad bought one bout 10yr back.

but i will hol my hand up and say, the reason for the 2.8 is power. im not considering it for fuel economy am i?

PS- am hoping quattro and F1 eagles (maybe pirelli) will not kill me. i understand the majority of road accidents are human error related, but rest assured, i dont plan to be stupid in the car. but i do plan to put that power to use when i can. (why else would i be paying thousands in insurance and fuel for my pride and joy)

hi lonky, thansk for the reply. i do understand fuel consumption and am slighty aware of oil probs in the v6's. the car will be roughly (S/T/V) reg, and i am looking for low mileage. rexkon worth roughly about £3.5k.

what you said about the wet, thats the reason for the quattor. i know i drive fast (i have tried slowing down, but its sometimes oblivious in a well maintained audi how quick you are actaully going), so i thought id pay the extra and get a quattro. and about the oil leak + street cred. you are quite right. lolz. thanks for the post (both lonky and auroan).

snowman123
13-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Still driving my 1998 A4 Avant 2.8 Quattro... have had this car since new.... 10th birthday this month!!

Lovely, powerful V6 engine with great handling. Still get a buzz driving ...have thought about getting A3 (downsizing)...but this car is still in my drive....

kurtis
13-02-2008, 02:14 PM
I can't fault mine, I really like it. Well made, feels solid and has been very reliable.

I've had it a year, and other than a service, it's only had a pair of camcover seals, as they were dribbling and a pair of lambdas.

It's nice and smooth and moderately quick, but I have an E36 328i too and for the same stated power output of 193bhp it's much faster.

You might find a 1.8 turbo more suitable if you're after something quick, or even an A3 which will be a bit lighter.

Muddy19
14-02-2008, 01:21 AM
thank you kurtis,

i probably wud have got a 1.8tq but 1) insurance refuses me on that due to age (20). but are ok with a 2.8 (when i mean ok i mean £££). why? - probably because one is a sports car, and one is a gentlemens car.

other thing, i didnt want to mod. if i get a 1.8tq, i will be tempted to mod! also its inline 4 vs v6. i know fuel economy favours 1.8, but iv always liked my luxury cars, especially audis.

and to be honest wit you, 2.8 sounds better than 1.8t. ( i do like to show off a bit within my network of friends) - why not, if you work hard for it.

i prefer leather seats to recaro racing bucket seats, and prefer air con to carbon fibre body work (to shed weight). i prefer strong v6 to a an inline 4 that you have to rev to make the most of the turbo. therefore i decided

i prefer a grown up mans car really, but thats quick! and i hear what your sayig about the bm, but is it the same in the wet?