PDA

View Full Version : audi A4 - changing indicator bulbs - HELP

moody
01-11-2006, 05:48 PM
hi -i have a 51 plate audi A4 1.9TDI - i need to change my front passenger side indicator bulb - im loathed to take it to a mechanic just for that,if it is achievable can anybody talk me through what needs to be done to achieve this pretty please?

thanks in advance

JR001
01-11-2006, 09:27 PM
I have got some pics I could email you if you want, along with instructions. The passenger side is the easier of the two fronts to replace.

moody
02-11-2006, 09:02 AM
thanks that would be great - my email is scottwalll@msn.com

Dave Avant
02-11-2006, 12:14 PM
I have just fitted a Xenon kit and also found that the indicators where nigh on impossible to change without removing the headlight. Only 4 torx screws, the rear 2 should be just slackened as the headlight slide from the mount point, the upper 2 have to be removed fully. It takes less than 5 mins to remove and you won't get scraped knuckles.

I painted my indicator bulbs silver so they compliment the headlight better. Looks much better than having an orange bulb standing out.

Some new cars, need the headlight removing and the only way is to remove the front bumper thus charging £180 to change a headlight bulb!!!

stua4
06-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Hi,
I have a similar problem. I have a warning for front drivers sidedipped headlight. Firstly is this definately the bulb gone? Secondly what is the easiest way to change the bulb? DO i need to remove the whole headlight? It is dark when i leave for work and dark when i get home so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Dave Avant
06-11-2006, 09:02 PM
Hi,
I have a similar problem. I have a warning for front drivers sidedipped headlight. Firstly is this definately the bulb gone? Secondly what is the easiest way to change the bulb? DO i need to remove the whole headlight? It is dark when i leave for work and dark when i get home so any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

I would put the lights on and see if it is working, the computers are generally correct. A sidelight bulb is slightly easier if not fiddly. Remove the cap on the headlight and the bulb has two clips which you squeeze and pull at the same time. I found it fidly enough with the headlight out and using long nose pliers.

I heaven't yet replaced a bulb with lamps in situ as I've only had it 2 weeks but did put the Xenon kit on it which I removed the headlight. To be honest the headlight is really easy to remove.

stua4
06-11-2006, 10:01 PM
Thanks mate, I shall give it a whirl

Bournemouth Rob
12-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Hi

Would be really gratefull if you would send me these pictures and instuction too.

Cheers
Rob

JR001
12-11-2006, 08:35 PM
Hi

Would be really gratefull if you would send me these pictures and instuction too.

Cheers
Rob

PM me with your email address mate and I will do just that. Hope they help.

crispynz
14-11-2006, 10:30 PM
I have got some pics I could email you if you want, along with instructions. The passenger side is the easier of the two fronts to replace.
mate,could you send me a bit of info on the indicator change as well.cheers
crispynz@gmail.com

Jez_A4
21-11-2006, 04:26 PM
My front indicator went yesterday so I popped over to Halfords and picked up a pack of indicator bulbs (you can't just buy ONE can you!). Anyway, had a quick look under the bonnet and as it was freezing cold and looked tricky, I thought I'd ask the guy in Halfords to do it. He wouldn't because they weren't insured to remove the headlamp assembly!

Anyway, to cut a long story short was going to attempt it myself but phoned the local Audi dealer (Robinsons, Norwich). They told me just to bring the car along there and they did it for nothing even though the car wasn't purchased there or under any Audi warranty. They didn't even use the bulbs I had bought!

I know it seems daft approaching a dealer with this sort of triviality but if they ain't charging then mustn't grumble. I just sat in the swanky showroom for half an hour, read the paper, helped myself to coffee and ogled an S4.

I'm still slightly miffed that it wasn't easier to do it myself but I felt I had to post this for anyone who might have been worried they'd get stung by their local dealership (and if the dealer does try to charge, maybe mention that other dealers do it gratis and tell them to stick it!)

Dave Avant
21-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Some dealers do do that in the hope that you will return or atleast spread by word of mouth which you have!! :D

The headlamp is very easy to remove, only 4 torx bolts and unplug it, but if someone is going to do it for free then you can't grumble. :D

TCOUZENS
16-12-2006, 04:12 PM

I have a similar problem but with the front drivers side. My vehicle is a 2001 Registered Y Reg so is one of the later old shaped A4s.
If your pics and instructions apply to this model, may I also ask for these to be sent.

Many thanks

JR001
16-12-2006, 06:32 PM
No problems. PM me with your email address.

Cheers

TCOUZENS
16-12-2006, 07:26 PM
I have a similar problem but with the front drivers side. My vehicle is a 2001 Registered Y Reg so is one of the later old shaped A4s.
If your pics and instructions apply to this model, may I also ask for these to be sent.

Many thanks

Dear JR001

My email address is Tcouzens@aol.com
Many thanks in antipication!

TC

petrieboy
10-04-2007, 07:06 PM

would you mind sending them to me too? petrieboyATgmail.com

RickT
10-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Guys.

Here is a guide i made earlier...

Microsoft Word - Removing the headlamps FRONT AND REAR.pdf (http://www.audi-forums.com/attachments/b6-forum/4733d1165888982-b6-front-headlight-tail-light-guide-microsoft-word-removing-headlamps-front-rear.pdf)

Source. - from a post i posted on another forum.

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/41575-b6-front-headlight-tail-light-guide.html

Cheers

RicKT

Paul Mills
16-04-2007, 02:48 PM
hi -i have a 51 plate audi A4 1.9TDI - i need to change my front passenger side indicator bulb - im loathed to take it to a mechanic just for that,if it is achievable can anybody talk me through what needs to be done to achieve this pretty please?

thanks in advance

Hi Moody - did you ever get a reply to your question re indicator bulb replacement? I am in the same position - can you share any responses which you recevied, please. Regards, Paul Mills

Lynn Jones
30-04-2007, 06:34 PM
I too have the same situation as Paul Mills and Moody. Did JR001 send you photos and instruction. If so please pass onto me. If not, can JR001 send me the information direct.
Many thanks.

My e mail address is lynnjones@gtechs.co.uk

Paul Mills
01-05-2007, 08:18 AM
Lynn - no I didn't receive any information. In the end, after an expensive and ineffectual attempt at a non-Audi dealer, I took it to Audi who were brilliant. They found that the bulb holder needed renewing, changed it in 20 minutes (no appointment), and charged me nothing for the labour. Sometimes it does work better to go to the main dealer! Good luck, Paul.

pjmac69
03-05-2007, 10:15 PM
HI JR001- hate to be a torture - joined up as I am continuously having problems with my front right indicators going! Have to bring to a mechanic to change them- doesn't cost much , it is just the hassle and I would like to have a got at changing the indicator bulb myself...could u send me ur instructions and photos- wud really appreciate it- my e-mail address is PhilipMcShane@aol.com

Kindest Regards

Phil

RickT
04-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Guys.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7485

Cheers

RicKT

As said before.... Rather than requesting people send it via email... PLEASe post on the site... if the file is to big, Please send to Ricktay@hotmail.com and i will post it for you.

Thanks

audiboi26
19-06-2007, 11:45 PM

Can you also send me the pics. thanks
persiana5@aim.com

Dozz
20-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Due to this problem I was going to fit led bulbs. While one of you have the bulbs out can you tell me the pin configuration is?

jeromewong
08-01-2008, 03:26 PM
Hello,

I have just been reading the thread about changing the front driver side indicator and have noticed that you have instructions and photos on how to do it. Would you be able to send them to me?

Thank you.

Jerome

Email address: jeromewongkw@gmail.com

RickT
08-01-2008, 04:17 PM
Guys.

Microsoft Word - Removing the headlamps FRONT AND REAR.pdf (http://www.audi-forums.com/attachments/b6-forum/4733d1165888982-b6-front-headlight-tail-light-guide-microsoft-word-removing-headlamps-front-rear.pdf)

Source. - from a post i posted on another forum.

http://www.audi-forums.com/b6-forum/41575-b6-front-headlight-tail-light-guide.html

Cheers

RicKT

See above guide.

Rick

andy183
12-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Dear All,
I must have saved a significant amount of time and expense in consulting this site to learn how to change bulbs on my A4 Avant. Thanks to whoever published the idiots guide! I'm very grateful.
However, having changed my front nearside indicator bulb several times now, it keeps blowing. First time I had to change it after 4 years but now it goes every few days or so. Not sure what the problem is ; maybe it needs a new bulb holder (the bulb housing is a kind of twist and pull type thing in the back of the headlamp) any remedies gladly received.
Thanks. Andy

bronson130386
01-02-2011, 06:40 AM
I have an audi a4 b5 how do i replace front indicator bulbs please

fourringsrus
01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Click the link above

Bigdogcasa
14-10-2014, 11:02 AM

I have a 2001 A4 Avant and it is the Offside Front Indicator that has stopped working. I have an arthritic condition making fiddly work quite hard. Took it to Halfords as they offer a fit it service but the young lad was unable to do it. He tried to remove the complete light unit but it looked like it was still attached.

Any assistance would be appreciated as MOT Due up soon.