PDA

View Full Version : What to do ?

RobK
29-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Last year the Turbo went in my Audi A4, I brought it to Audi West London and got it changed for around £1,200 stg. I had a lot of hassel with them first time around as they managed to damaged the wing on my car and it took them 5 weeks to get my car sorted.. anyway... before Christmas I noticed my turbo started to act up and whine in the morning when you first start the car, when you drive down the road it smokes like a b1tch, to the point where you can't actually see the car. I brought the car back to Audi on the 9th of November (as it is under a 3 year warranty). I am still driving their Courtesy car nearly three months later. They are impossible to deal with. They are saying that there is oil in the exhaust system and it needs changing and I had too much oil in the engine. I had the car checked by a mechanic before I brought it to them and he said that a seal was gone in the Turbo. I suggested that I get in an AA mechanic to their workshop to check it over to try and resolve this issue. Its like banging my head against a brick wall.
Anyone got any suggestions ?

Cheers
Rob

Crasher
29-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Do you think you overfilled the engine with oil?

RobK
29-01-2008, 02:19 PM
There was slightly (I mean slightly too much oil in the engine) With the amount of smoke coming out of the exhaust, even if you were to fill the engine to the top, it wouldn't cause the car to smoke as much as it does.
The car is giving off the exact same symptoms as it did when the turbo went last year. these included a heavy dampness on the ground coming from the exhaust, the whining of the turbo when you first start the car in the morning and when you press the brakes coming up to traffic lights, an almighty amount of smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Crasher
29-01-2008, 02:22 PM
Have they said how much oil was in the intercooler pipes?

RobK
29-01-2008, 02:26 PM
No, They said that there was oil in there, but didn't go into detail. They said they tried an A6 turbo on the car when it was in the garage and said it was still smoking. I argued that it would smoke regardless for a few days with a new turbo until the oil burnt away.

Crasher
29-01-2008, 02:35 PM
You are quite right, it would. If the turbo pumped a lot of oil into the exhaust, it will take a long time to dry out on a Diesel as they get no where near as hot as a petrol. On my petrol turbo, the turbo put a lot of oil into the exhaust and it took about a week to stop smoking, in fact I was beginning to worry the new engine or turbo had a fault it took so long. Now what was I saying about Audi dealers being good earlier, I take it all back!

paulp
29-01-2008, 07:07 PM
i recently replaced a blown turbo on a m.a.n truck(hgv mechanic by trade)exhaust system was full of oil.smoked like mad upon restart,owner took truck to a remote area and left it running at fast idle for 2 days and nights before smoke cleared.the hole in the ozone layer must have doubled in size:biglaugh:

layerz
29-01-2008, 07:10 PM
And a whole in his pocket!