PDA

View Full Version : £120 to diagnose a n ABS fault !!!

Joffo
29-01-2008, 12:16 AM
After acquiring a 51 plate Audi A4 1.8T SE I discovered an ABS warning light on the dash, my local garage has software and the lead to get basic details about the faults, they approached an Audi dealer to find out more about the fault and they were not prepared to provide details without booking it in, they wanted £120 to diagnose the faults !!! this can't be right that a manufacturer forces you to take your car to a main dealer to have faults diagnosed in turn forcing independent garages without big budgets and cash resevres to invest in the equipment in order to compete ! :zx11: I'll get off my soap box now !!!

Basically the ABS problem is an MOT failure and I'm loathed to pay £120 just to tell me what the problem is. I'm getting fault code 01200 ABS Valves Power Supply, my local garage has checked the fuses and connection without success, does anyone know what the problem might be ? I spoke to an Audi dealer today and they said they would check the Brake pedal switch first (as its the cheapest component )

Thanks

Crasher
29-01-2008, 12:23 AM
That fault code normally means the ABS ECU has a fault and that means a new or remanufactured ECU.

diesel-a4
29-01-2008, 12:33 AM
i got a used ECU for the ABS from a breakers yard that was working, £50 fitted myself, theres a guide here
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec116.shtml

Joffo
29-01-2008, 12:40 AM
That fault code normally means the ABS ECU has a fault and that means a new or remanufactured ECU.

Thanks for your help.

Joffo
29-01-2008, 12:41 AM
i got a used ECU for the ABS from a breakers yard that was working, £50 fitted myself, theres a guide here
http://www.audiworld.com/tech/elec116.shtml

Spot on ! many thanks for your help.

Crasher
29-01-2008, 11:42 AM
There is a link to a guide somewhere on here about opening the ECU up and repairing the faulty board link, can't find it now though.

Muddy19
30-01-2008, 12:51 AM
bloddy hell.

when i got ma timing belt changed, (bout 5000miles ago) as soon as i drove off the ramp, the abs light came on. first time too.

did a diagnostics (£30), found the front nearside abs sensor to be casuing the problem. drove the car for about 3500miles. light still was on

When changing the front discs and pads (bout 5week ago) i got my halfords contact cleaner and a rubber mallet out. was gona buy a new sensor and thought why not. luckily for me it worked and abs kicks in just fine.....

(thats what it was for me, but hoping your prob aint gona be too expensive to sort out)

Crasher
30-01-2008, 11:43 AM
The nearside front harness is prone to problems but it is easy and cheap to replace, GSF sell them and they just plug in behind the inner wing grommet.

Muddy19
31-01-2008, 03:09 AM
or you could get a rubber hammer and contact cleaner...........lolz.

yeah, your right. i didnt know what the part i needed was, and i was told that you cant buy it separate, that you would have to buy the abs sensor. (audi quoted £79? i think it was). at the time i thought it was gona cost me that much. thank god i didnt go out and pay it.

anyway Joffo, any luck with your abs?

Joffo
07-02-2008, 11:26 PM
I've sent my ABS ECU to BBA Reman last week, they were still checking it today but it sounds as if the ECU may have been ok, so it must be something else ! Looks like I'm going to have to book it into the Dealer !!!!!! Yet another lamb to the slaughter

diesel-a4
08-02-2008, 10:41 AM
try and clean the sensors and check the cabling for them just in case. Do it before you take it to the dealer, just incase its an easy fix

VAGMAN54
05-11-2008, 09:51 PM
if you live near canterbury i can put vag.com on it for you only cost ya a beer !!!!