PDA

View Full Version : Is it my lambda sensors?

kurtis
28-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Had a service last march and was told my O2 sensors were giving off weak/intermittent readings.

Okay, okay, I admit I've done nothing about it. But in my defence getting one of these things in the air is a pain in the ****.

Now it's starting to struggle when hot starting and the throttle response is becoming jerky. Culminating in it taking 3 minutes to start and maintain an idle in the petrol station today. No mill light on the dash though yet.

Firstly, does it sound like the O2 sensors are to blame, and secondly, if anyone has done this job on a 2.8, what type are they 4 wire or 3 wire? As I have a couple of generics in the garage.

And does anyone know where to get some if the generics are wrong as both GSF and Euro are listing them as not in stock as of checking last week.

thanks in advance!

audimad
29-01-2008, 12:38 PM
I dont know on the 2.8, but i know the 1.8t if 4 wire Not much help sorry

kurtis
29-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the info, I just managed to dig up some info on a site called Just Lambdas (guess what they sell...).

The generic part is a 3 wire sensor, so I've gone for a couple of them to arrive tomorrow.

I just hope that it's them that are the problem. I'm 95% sure but can anyone confirm the symptoms above?

Crasher
29-01-2008, 02:12 PM
Lambda sensors will not cause a starting problem.

kurtis
29-01-2008, 10:53 PM
This is what I thought. Initial starting conditions remain open loop for a few moments even when hot.

I'm just hoping that maybe it's fuelling is all to **** and it's fouling up a bit. Hoping...

Plus I'm averaging 25mpg at the minute. Which seems to be a bit crap, considering it's got some motorway in there.

kurtis
30-01-2008, 06:31 PM
They aren't 3 wire...

They're 4. But fairly easy to get to. Pull off all the plastic nonsense, airbox and expansion tank and there they are.