PDA

View Full Version : 99 Passat rear door handle

Elvis the king
28-01-2008, 07:33 PM
I have the old problem of not being able to open the rear doors from inside and out. Finally got the door open and found the catch is sticking so I need to get that out (no problems just 2 screws after removing door panel) Problem being is that the catch is connected to the door handle via a small cable so I need to remove the door handle. question: How do I remove the door handle:1zhelp:?
Thanking anybody in advance.
Andy.

smokey0123
28-01-2008, 07:51 PM
the cable unclips from the back of the door card and unhooks from the back of the handle

Elvis the king
28-01-2008, 08:04 PM
the cable unclips from the back of the door card and unhooks from the back of the handle

Thanks Smokey

The cable that goes through the door card is not the problem its the one that goes from the door handle to the to the locking/catch mechanism. I want to get the catch out but its connected to the door handle.
thanks
again
Andy.

adamss24
28-01-2008, 10:37 PM
You need to remove the metal door panel underneath the doorcard, then the 2 multispline bolts that hold the lock on the door jamb, then the lock barrel-hold by the small torx bolt on the side of the door(under the black plastic cap), then lower the window and slacken the 2x 10mm bolts (under the blanking caps),remove the glass , then remove all bolts holding the pannel and work out how it comes all apart ! Take your time and work out how they came apart-take lots of pictures ! Once you do it, it gets easier second time ! Hope this helps.

Elvis the king
28-01-2008, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE][
You need to remove the metal door panel underneath the doorcard, then the 2 multispline bolts that hold the lock on the door jamb, then the lock barrel-hold by the small torx bolt on the side of the door(under the black plastic cap), then lower the window and slacken the 2x 10mm bolts (under the blanking caps),remove the glass , then remove all bolts holding the pannel and work out how it comes all apart ! Take your time and work out how they came apart-take lots of pictures ! Once you do it, it gets easier second time ! Hope this helps.
/QUOTE]

I understand what your saying but is this for the rear door as it sounds like it is for the front door.
Thanks
Andy

adamss24
28-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi, its pretty much symilar, unless you do have manual crank windows...! Then its a different matter, as you will have to remove the crank-slide the plastic cover on the opposite side, then undo the bolt, rest is symilar. If in doubt, get a Haynes manual.

Elvis the king
28-01-2008, 11:30 PM
[QUOTE][/Hi, its pretty much symilar, unless you do have manual crank windows...! Then its a different matter, as you will have to remove the crank-slide the plastic cover on the opposite side, then undo the bolt, rest is symilar. If in doubt, get a Haynes manual.QUOTE]

Theres no small torx bolt and no barrel (inside and out) and you can't get your head inside to see either

I will have to get a haynes manual:(

Thanks for your help anyway
Andy.

Elvis the king
29-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Wey hey I have done it. Found that little torx screw (well hidden) Took the catch off seems to be sticking. but took it all apart and lots of GT85 and spray grease. put it all back and it works fine.:D

A big thank you to everyone with their words of wisdom on this forum.:beerchug:

Andy.