PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Over-revving on automatic TDi '05 plate

nmh1977
28-01-2008, 02:42 PM
Hi guys,

Wonder if you can help. I bought my wife an AUDI A4 2.0 TDi automatic diesel on Saturday. Everything was fine driving from the Audi used car centre on Saturday from Stafford to London. Oh, its done 32,300 on the clock with full ASH.

Anyway yesterday I had just got onto the M11 at 60 mph then decided to speed up to 70 mph. So I bought my foot on the accelerated and noticed the rev count jump quickly from 2000 rpm to 3000 rpm. At the same time the car failed to accelerate. I tried taking the foot off the pedal and pressing the pedal again. Still no gear change and increase in speed.

At this point I thought maybe the engine was going to over-rev so I pulled over onto the hard shoulder and switched the engine off. When I re-started a slight gradient was fine was going up through gears to 70 mph and staying on the usual 2000 rpm.

I have spoken to the Audi sales bloke and he thinks this is normal. Personally I disagree having driven E-Class automatics and a previous Rover 620 automatic. Can anyone provide me with some knowledge on this. I have booked it into Audi to get checked in the meantime.

Cheers

Nick

STAGMAN
29-01-2008, 11:50 AM
The gearbox is constantly variable (CVT). It does not have gears as a conventional automatic. If you put your foot down the revs will immediately rise and the speed will increase shortly after. I think you are not allowing enough time. You need to gradually increase the throttle position, pumping it just makes the revs rise and fall. Cruise control works well with this transmission.

nmh1977
29-01-2008, 03:58 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I had the same problem yesterday. I was at 40 mph and just about to get onto the A406 so I put my foot gently on the accelerator. The engine hummed and revved to 3000rpm but did'nt speed up. I kept my foot on the accelerator for 4-5 seconds and let it rev high to see if it would upshift. Fearing a problems I again pulled up and restarted the car. After this it seemed ok.

I looked thorough the serve book and found a repair from Audi about a year ago for multitronice software update.

andywell
01-02-2008, 08:47 PM
As a previous poster has said its all to do with the multitronic CVT gearbox. When I got my car about a year ago I noticed the exact same symptons that you have described and to be honest I found it a bit disconcerting. However I believe the gearbox adapts to driving style - correct me if I'm wrong - and now the car is very smooth to drive.:D

max942x
12-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Hi!

During my search for clues on the B6 board (not for same problem) regarding the multitronic gearbox I do remember reading of others with a similar problem to the one you describe,

It may be worth you having a look at the other board for suggestions.

Sorry I can't give you a complete answer!

Max