PDA

View Full Version : No dealer advice

djgilson
27-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Did you know that Audi have a company policy not to give technical advice to owners?

When I was fitting Audi parking sensors to my A3, I phoned the dealer service dept for advice on removing the bumper. They said they weren’t allowed to speak to me about it. Tried another dealer, with the same result. One guy did help to the extent of hinting what not to do, but he made it clear he was risking his job by doing so.

So I contacted Audi UK to get the official position. They were apologetic, but confirmed that that was the policy. Evidently they worry about being sued by owners who follow their advice and do damage or injure themselves. When I suggested that that was fairly pathetic, the spokesman did not disagree.

Now, I am used to phoning BMW, for example, for advice, and finding some staff less helpful than others, but a company policy of unhelpfulness is altogether different and rather disturbing. One doesn’t have to be very cynical to suspect a simpler commercial motive. Makes me feel that perhaps becoming an Audi owner was not a good idea.

To be fair, I gather that advice on servicing matters should be freely available, though I haven’t tested this. Presumably that would cover things like service intervals, or brake disc minimum thickness, for example, but I imagine more searching questions, like how to change a cam belt, might meet resistance?

Has anyone else had a similar experience? Are VW and Seat dealers the same? What about other car makers?

My feeling is we should not be put off asking dealers for advice when we need it. Perhaps if they find themselves constantly having to turn away enquiries, they may eventually be shamed into changing the policy? Well, one can only dream.

jonbaker
28-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Anything they think they can get you in to rip you off for is Audi's company policy imo. As i've said numerous times before it's an instant £120 just to look at something.

stuart
28-01-2008, 08:58 PM
This was Company policy when I worked for a VAG dealer 20 years ago, so it is not "new".

I think that this is all to do with the new culture of "sueing for anything" that has developed over the years, compensation claims etc...

Wrong I know, but a lot of Companies are covering themselves...

kenney
28-01-2008, 10:08 PM
HI Got to respond over the negative comments,and i dont care what you think.I personaly have had 20 years behind a desk.One just has not the time to help everybody,can you imagine,early morning and there are five or six customers waiting to deliver their cars for repairs,and somebody is on the phone wanting to know how to do change a filter or whatever.What do you do?sit five minutes trying to explain how to change that filter,and let the paying customers wait?At the end of the day it is those customers who pay our wages,and if one should take the time to ansewer all the technical questions during the day then there would be not customers.

djgilson
31-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for your reply, Stuart. Interesting that the VAG stance on this is longstanding. Still seems way over the top to make it a sacking offence, but perhaps that’s just what they’re told to say.

Kenney, I have a lot of sympathy for your view - obviously customers come first. But then we are customers too. I know that in a lifetime’s motoring I must have accumulated a thick wad of receipts for dealer parts, (admittedly alongside a rather thicker wad from Motor Factors). And yes, it’s commonsense not to phone at busy times early or late in the day. I just wish that service personnel could have the discretion to be helpful or not as they see fit.

ghost rider
12-02-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi, I have encountered the exact same problem with Audi, my ABS pump remains on after locking vehicle (I've had to pull fuse to stop motor burning out/battery running down.

when asking Audi dealership, they would not discuss or tell me if vehicle was even safe to drive......they were very, very happy to make an appointment to diagnose said problem, when pushed more, they told me to ring Audi technical department who they said would help diagnose problem.

You guessed it, they would not talk to me.... they said go to www.erwin.audi (http://www.erwin.audi/) & that they would help.

Well, they want £45 for one days membership without printing rights & no guarantee of finding the information I'm after.

Similar to yourself I’m beginning to regret buying an Audi. It seems like so many companies nowadays, customer care yes, but not at the expense of making more money out of them !

3point14
19-04-2010, 01:33 AM
Nobody sued anyone 20+ years ago so I guess it is fairly safe to say that it is a company policy to part you from your cash.

I remember my father lovingly eyeing up Audis many years ago and though he probably could not afford one to be honest, he was really critical of their servicing costs (and VW's as well) compared to his then regular Renault and more common Vauxhall cars.

However, some of the quoted incidents above are just petty and will instil bad feeling of the brand.