PDA

View Full Version : New A4 Xenon headlamps

moptisam2
27-01-2008, 03:55 PM
I forgot about the sections for specific models and put this in the general section:

"Pls note that the Xenon headlights with LED daytime running lights that are advertised on p. 33 of the downloadable catalogue (PDF 4) are NOT going to be available on the SE. Mention of them in the PDF is a mistake.

According to Audi Customer Service yesterday, they are only going to be available on the S line, which will be available to order in the Spring (date not specified).

I don't know what you get extra with the S line (I have a 2005 2.0 SE TDI) so I may be wrong, but I got the impression that the S line is more for 'boy racers'.

I want another SE but am not happy with the headlamps, so thought I would order a new one with the Xenon.

As they are available in Germany on the non-S line model it seems illogical not to make them available on the equivalent model in the UK.

I have contacted Germany and will let you know what I find out."

I had 2 replies, that I answered. They can be viewed in the general cars section.

Vinnyg
01-02-2008, 03:22 PM
Hi Moptisam, I've had the same issue. My new A4 2.0 TDI is ordered but have been unable to order the xenons with LED DRLs. In fact since the original order was placed at the end of October it's been revised 4 times....

Have you seen any images of what the standard headlights look like? All images on all Audi sites still shows he LEDs.

Also, any idea when the new model is due to appear in UK showrooms??

Thanks.

Bloater
01-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Cant answer all of your questions, but I believe that the 23rd Feb is the date. As I am pre-registered with Audi to look at one, they have written and told me that showroom launch is 23rd.

Hope it helps.

Bloater

browellm
01-02-2008, 07:52 PM
I've had the same information. I'm ordering one as a company car, and the Xenons don't appear on the options list. Also, Lincoln Audi gave me the same info - S-line only.

They're not on Audi's online configurator either. Shame.

moptisam2
02-02-2008, 06:58 AM
As bloater said the official launch is the 23rd of this month, though a left-hand drive model is being taken around the country. Bradford Audi tell me it's with them this weekend.

I haven't ordered yet. I am waiting for an answer from Germany (I wrote to them in German so they can't just send my message back to the UK). I think it's all a ****-up by Audi. They have announced that their aim with the new A4 is to overtake BMW and Mercedes, so why take such an illogical decision re the DRLs and the Xenons (especially as the latter cost a pricey 775 extra) and both are safety features?

I have just looked at the PDF (no. 4) on the Audi web-site. It still (8 days after Audi says the two mentions should not be there) says the DRLs are standard across the range (p. 7) and Xenons are options on the SE (p. 33).

One dealer I have spoken to even sounds embarrassed on the phone. I asked why can’t Audi give the customer information they can stick to.

Bloater, if they have changed the spec, you must (check with Trading Standards) have a right to cancel. That is what I would do, then reorder when they have a spec they will stick to. It may just spur them into action.

I would also tell all the motoring press of the **** up. I have already contacted a few motoring mags telling them that the info on the Audi web-site PDF about the DRLs and xenons is wrong.

The cars seem to be well-engineered and finished to a high standard. Why can’t the information?:zx11:

moptisam2
02-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Sorry Vinnyg. I meant you instead of Bloater when I talked about the changes in the car you have ordered.

And no, I don't know what the standard headlamps look like. Sorry I didn't answer that question.

I'll have to get up when I am awake and not at 5 in the morning.

Yours, going back to bed!

browellm
02-02-2008, 12:31 PM
The left hooker was in Lincoln this week :D

Looks very nice in Lava Grey. It's a bit of an oddity however, as it is a non SE spec, which they have in Europe but will not be available at UK launch. The only non-standard extras I could see on the car were what looked like sports seats.

moptisam2
02-02-2008, 01:20 PM
To add lack of joined-up thinking to their other accomplishments, Audi have just sent me (letter dated yesterday) a catalogue for the new A4 with the incorrect info in about DRLs and Xenon headlamps in.

Having worked in the printing supply industry I accept that the catalogues will have been printed some time ago but, as they identified (because I told them) the mistake a week ago, you would have thought they would have stopped the sending out of wrong information.

:zx11:

browellm
02-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I got a copy today also. The brochure is dated September 2007.

Well, the online pdf is October 2007, and that is still wrong. Poor form considering they are trying to flog £25,000+ cars

Foringo
03-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I recently placed an order for a new A4 SE 2.7 and originally thought (like everybody else it seems) that it could be specified with the xenons. I was later told that AUDI UK had decided that only the S-Line models will get them together with LEDs to provide ‘model differentiation’! I didn’t want this version of the car as I preferred mine to be more comfort orientated. I think that this is the only gripe I have but it seems strange that on a car of this value that you can’t specify them & AUDI are effectively making less profit on options!

Vinnyg
04-02-2008, 01:03 PM
It is a real shame they've made this decision, but given that my car is scheduled for delivery on the 1st March, I'm not going to cancel the order just fro the sake of the lights.

Full range does come with DRL, but they will not be LED.

To be honest I've now spec'd the car up to my maximum company car allowance (Lthr/Alc sports seats, Symphony radio, B&O package, parking plus, electric mirrors, nicer alloys and Lava Grey Pearl paint) and am pretty happy with what I am getting. Just didn't want to be driving round in my lovely new car looking at everyone elses nice LED lights - sad I know!!

moptisam2
04-02-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, as I feared and someone told me, I got nowhere writing in my best German to Audi Germany.

The subject of Xenons as options may come up for consideration in the future, you never know.

In the meantime I’m not committing myself. I’ll go and have a look at the new car when it officially arrives in 3 weeks, but I’ll wait to see what future motor shows bring this year.

Vinnyg, enjoy your car. Obviously a good choice. I may join you before too long. At the moment I don’t know.

browellm
04-02-2008, 05:54 PM
It is a real shame they've made this decision, but given that my car is scheduled for delivery on the 1st March, I'm not going to cancel the order just fro the sake of the lights.

Full range does come with DRL, but they will not be LED.

To be honest I've now spec'd the car up to my maximum company car allowance (Lthr/Alc sports seats, Symphony radio, B&O package, parking plus, electric mirrors, nicer alloys and Lava Grey Pearl paint) and am pretty happy with what I am getting. Just didn't want to be driving round in my lovely new car looking at everyone elses nice LED lights - sad I know!!

Nice spec, I too have gone for Lava Grey on the basis of the import I saw in the dealer showroom. (Metallic is paid for by the car scheme on the basis that it is the only option that appreciates the car value at sale time)

Also added:
Bluetooth phone prep - also paid by Company (£375)
Upgraded cloth, so I could get the beige interior - sick of dark interiors and wanted a change (£120)
Cruise control - shame this is not standard (£190)
B&O speaker package - my one major concession to vanity. (£525)

I've had to go very easy on the options as we have to pay for all ours up-front.

Vinnyg
04-02-2008, 06:10 PM
I've had to go very easy on the options as we have to pay for all ours up-front.

Ouch!! I'm fortunate in that so long as I stay within the monthly budget I'm pretty much free to choose what I like, so any options are at no cost to me (apart from the tax implications). What I really wanted was the AMI but the fact that you can only have it with the extortionate satnav is rubbish. Still SD card slot is a nice idea.

What is crap is that my company insists we have a retrofit hands free kit to work with our blackberries. So that fantastically well put together interior will no doubt be ruined by the installation. Ah well, I might have missed the squeaks and rattles from my Saab otherwise......

Anyway, good to hear that the Lava grey looked good.

browellm
04-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Just found these pics cars with non-LED daytime running lights. They look a bit, erm, cack! (The lights, not the cars :D)

No wonder they have been a bit economical with pics and info!

http://i32.servimg.com/u/f32/11/10/33/40/img_3311.jpghttp://images.forum-auto.com/mesimages/117261/P1010978.jpg

Vinnyg
05-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the images Browellm. I managed to find the same on a French forum. They don't look too bad, but not great either!

Never mind, the rest of the car will make up for it...... I hope.

tbach
23-02-2008, 11:52 PM
Hello,
Do you know anything about installing an HID kit for a '99 A4. I purchased a kit recently but it came without wiring harnesses. The brand is O-NEX HID system ES-0511 Any suggestions? :confused:

the_gasman
27-02-2008, 11:01 PM
So, a headlight washer system.

Very useful in the winter, what with those long hours of darkness and dirty gritted roads. I'd really like them on my new car.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are these only available as a £2500 option on the A4?! I certainly don't see it mentioned other than with the Xenon lights which of course only come as part of the S line trim. That's insane! :zx11:

Martin

alexcf
02-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah, it's annoying. The 2.0 A4 was the only one with LED DRLs, and the LEDs DRLs were one of the reasons I fell in love with the car. Basically, ended up biting the bullet and going for the S-line.

I've got Xenons on my current car and I'd never go back!

Audi Nick
24-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I have emailed Rupert Stadler the big cheese about this and as you may have guessed, no firm reply although I have received an acknowledgment.

May I suggest we all emai him about the absence of Xenon Lights, delivery times and more recently the removal of reversing sensors.

His email address is below.

rupert.stadler@audi.de

Satch
24-03-2008, 06:27 PM
I e-mailed Peter Duffy their head of marketing but I got a fob off of a reponse.

Framkly, they don't give a damn.:zx11:

AUDI-NUT
25-03-2008, 02:44 PM
I have emailed Rupert Stadler the big cheese about this and as you may have guessed, no firm reply although I have received an acknowledgment.

May I suggest we all emai him about the absence of Xenon Lights, delivery times and more recently the removal of reversing sensors.

His email address is below.

rupert.stadler@audi.de

Thanks for the e-mail address, I will e-mail him about the Rear Sensors
as thats essential when the wife is behind the wheel.

With regards to the Xenon lights, I will mail him, but to be honest it will be to support the Audi decision to offer these lights only with the S-Line. Needless to say I opted for the S-Line and have paid the premium of £2,500 for the extras and if that means my car will stand out from the basic model then all the better.
It may sound selfish but that is just how it is and anyone ordering the S-Line will (albeit quietly) feel the same way.

Audi Nick
25-03-2008, 05:45 PM
Nice thought Audi Nut.

At the moment I drive an A6 and that does not make me feel any different (or better) than any other Audi driver irrespective of their model or spec. Maybe I have missed a trick?

Being a private buyer I can have what I want and cost (within reason) is not an issue and I can certainly run to the exta £1550 it would cost for the S Line (I save on the 5 spoke wheels, electric lumbar suport and different cloth) the question is more about whether I want the firmer ride that goes with the S Line. In terms of looking different, I don't see many cars with forking out an eye watering £600 for different wheels.

This is my third privately purchased Audi and I must admit that the stink about the lights and rear reversing warning (I had already ordered the advanced system and so not affected by the changes) has severely dented my feelings about the Audi brand.

I would be lying if I said that next time I change my car I would only look at Audi and I would have trouble in recommending an Audi with quite the same fervour as before. Does anyone at Audi care, it would appear not and that only serves to reinforce my views.

A great shame :(

dc1743
25-03-2008, 08:39 PM
With regards to the Xenon lights, I will mail him, but to be honest it will be to support the Audi decision to offer these lights only with the S-Line. Needless to say I opted for the S-Line and have paid the premium of £2,500 for the extras and if that means my car will stand out from the basic model then all the better.

Sounds like you would be more suited to a BMW.

First off the SE is not the basic model, thats still to be launched. Second why should xenon lights go hand in hand with over firm uncomfortable suspension? Are you saying that SE drivers should not be driving at night?

The real reason that the lights have been reserved for the S-Line is that Audi marketing realised that there was very little benefit to S-Line spec in the new A4 and they had to find a more valuable add on to boost its appeal. No other premium brand restricts xenon lights to the sports spec.

AUDI-NUT
25-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Nice thought Audi Nut.

At the moment I drive an A6 and that does not make me feel any different (or better) than any other Audi driver irrespective of their model or spec. Maybe I have missed a trick?

Being a private buyer I can have what I want and cost (within reason) is not an issue and I can certainly run to the exta £1550 it would cost for the S Line (I save on the 5 spoke wheels, electric lumbar suport and different cloth) the question is more about whether I want the firmer ride that goes with the S Line. In terms of looking different, I don't see many cars with forking out an eye watering £600 for different wheels.

This is my third privately purchased Audi and I must admit that the stink about the lights and rear reversing warning (I had already ordered the advanced system and so not affected by the changes) has severely dented my feelings about the Audi brand.

I would be lying if I said that next time I change my car I would only look at Audi and I would have trouble in recommending an Audi with quite the same fervour as before. Does anyone at Audi care, it would appear not and that only serves to reinforce my views.

A great shame :(

This is my first Audi and thus far my experience with them hasn't been too bad, we will see how the next few weeks go........with regards to the S-Line, I agree that normally you wouldn't really spot the difference, at least on past models, but Audi have gone a step further with the different diffuser, spolier kit etc. This along with the more comfortable sport seats and leather surrond do make a difference....but its all about personal preference. I test drove the SE and it was a lovely ride, very impressive and got a ride of the S-Line in Germany and there is no noticeable difference in the comfort of the ride. I suppose 10mm doesnt make an awful lot of difference.......anyhow when you have driven the type of sporty hathcbacks that I have had upto now I am sure the S-Line will seem like luxury to me!

AUDI-NUT
25-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Sounds like you would be more suited to a BMW.

First off the SE is not the basic model, thats still to be launched. Second why should xenon lights go hand in hand with over firm uncomfortable suspension? Are you saying that SE drivers should not be driving at night?

The real reason that the lights have been reserved for the S-Line is that Audi marketing realised that there was very little benefit to S-Line spec in the new A4 and they had to find a more valuable add on to boost its appeal. No other premium brand restricts xenon lights to the sports spec.

My mistake, I meant SE is basic compared to the S-Line. And of course all Audi drivers should me able to drive at night...........just without the cool S-Line Xenons thats all.:Blush:

Jebu
29-03-2008, 02:39 AM
Must admit I really wanted the xenons on the SE model but ah well, the car looks and drives superb without them

One question though - If you could source some official Audi daytime running lights could you get them fitted "out of the factory". Not saying its something I would want to do but I do wonder.

Also - if you ever wanted to upgrade your on board MMI system, can you do that after getting your car?

Just wondered thats all!

Audi Nick
29-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Jebu

You can retro fit just about anything but I suggest you think long and hard before you do.

I can tell you from personal experience having retro fitted the sat nav a number of years ago, that nothing is simple and certainly not cheap. Not only this, but if you involve an Audi dealer to sort the whole thing out as I did you will need to remortgage the house.

The reason why I spec my car so high is purely because of the costs of retro fitting.

In a word "don't".