PDA

View Full Version : help with MOT emissions a4 b5 (96)

hoppy36
26-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Hello, having trouble getting through MOT emissions, and dont want to send my audi 1.8se 1996 to knackers. It has done 164k, impressive I know, how many miles would you expect engine to get upto?

Any tips to get through MOT emissions, I've changed oil and filter and new spark plugs. Have squirted red ex down plug holes as well. Anything else I could do?

cheers

dave :confused:

eddiemax28
26-01-2008, 11:21 PM
give it a go run 1st and if it dont pass then take the airfilter out or chenge the cat.

chris

rwswll
26-01-2008, 11:27 PM
check the exhaust for small holes and leaks. run a fuel cleaner.(it will clean the invectors too).

also give it a f*cking good thrash right before.

hoppy36
27-01-2008, 09:59 AM
thanks for that,will add fuel cleaner, and take air filter out and give it good blast before.

The garage did mention it may need a new cat. But that is the problem they are expensive.

Ive been told if the cat is nackered, car wont rev past 2000 rpm, the engine runs fine. The MOT these days seems very strict.

Any tips on any good fuel cleaners.

Im sure theres more milage in the old audi yet!

:beerchug:
dave

Zenerdiode
27-01-2008, 04:28 PM
The '96 1.8SE engine has just one pre-cat lambda probe. This provides closed loop feedback for the engine to adjust and condition the exhaust gas to the optimum for the CAT to process.

Have the car hooked up to a diagnostic tool to make sure the lambda probe is working (no fault codes and lambda voltage swinging regularly).

If the lambda probe is functioning, its over to the cat to process and the engine then doesn't know a thing about it. Its only engines that have a post-cat lambda probe that can monitor the efficiency of the cat.

I suspect the 'not revving over 2000rpm' thing is where a dual lambda engine goes into limp mode. Not so on your engine, as it goes into 'open loop' lambda control where the engine gives its best guess at fuelling for cat conversion. This will not limit itself to 2000rpm.

hoppy36
27-01-2008, 08:11 PM
alright, I'll try and check for fault codes, for lambda control probe. Is there any tricks for checking the fault codes without a diagnostic tool?

Ive only just bought the car a week ago so unsure.

Just been to shell petrol station and asked man if V Power would help lower emissions, he said 'this taxi guy runs it on V Power before mot for 2 weeks, it gets the emissions right down'.

Not sure if theres any truth in this but worth a shot.

thanks for help, looking into lambda probe!

dave

hoppy36
30-01-2008, 06:00 PM
Hi, changing lambda sensor for 4 wire universal one, could anyone confirm which wires connect were?

original has 2 brown, one purple , one grey,

universal has, 2 white, one black, one grey,

I know the two brown goto the two white,

anyone know which way round the others go?

original purple to black or grey?

cheers

:zx11: