PDA

View Full Version : GOLF CL 1989 broken into though fitted with immobiliser

Samgt4
26-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Hi all
sorry to trouble you with my problem in my first post. well MY brother in Law , had a GOLF CL 1989 ( F reg) , manual. Car was fitted with an iMMOBLISER . Still the car was stolen , recovered by the police. They broke the immobiliser connecttor where the fob key goes , and they cut off the wires from teh ignition switch , and hot wired it . Well does it follow that those after market immobilisers are next to useless ?.
Any way I have managed to identify the starter wire , and the ignition wires ( which were controlled by the immobiliser) , I have re joined those , now the car will turn over but will not start , there seems to be no fuel going in ?.

Is the GOLF CL fuel injected ?. if it fuel injection then i presumed the old immobliser hacked the stock fuel wiring , if so where is the fuel pump and the wiring that feeds the injector?.

IF it is not fuel injection then i suppose the immobiliser would play no role in immobilising the fuel ?.

any one can shed some light please , would be much obliged and thankyou all in advance
regards
Sam

Crasher
27-01-2008, 01:25 AM
The Golf 2 89 1.6CL has the EZ engine and is carburettor fed. As such it is nearly impossible to immobilise as the fuel pump is mechanical, the coil can be hot wired from the battery in seconds and the starter motor immobilisation by-passed just by bump starting it. It would take some serious wiring from the immobiliser box to the ignition amplifier and to the coil to make even a reasonable attempt at immobilising it. The problem is the customer doesn’t want to pay for jobs to be done properly, all they want is a certificate to get their insurance discount, they only care about how good the work is when it doesn’t perform, and that is the nature of the business. I could get around ANY immobilisation on one of these in around two minutes just with a length of wire and I wouldn't even need to touch the ignition barrel apart from breaking the lock.

Samgt4
27-01-2008, 01:54 AM
thanks for that reply bud much appreciated ........ At least now we know there is no INJECTION . where is the fuel pump in this , is it in the engine bay ? , was not able to see a fuel filter either , I am not really familiar with those cars , I got used to Toyota GT4s for the past 8 years or so.

Also this golf CL has exhibited a very strange behavior : if u turn the indicator on , it does not indicate , but the engine attempt to start :mad:. if you press the light button on the engine also attempt to start :D. Car was in good working order before it was stolen . Insanity is just a round the corner .

Thanks all

bishbosh66
27-01-2008, 11:37 AM
Hi, fuel pump is located on the front of the engine next to the oil filter mounting bracket. The fuel filter normally on the inlet pipe to pump in the left side of the engine bay, roughly parallel to the cam belt cover. As regards your electrical problems, pass ! but possibly a thorough check of connections at fuse box (located on the right hand side on dash behind a facia cover) might reveal if any wires are crossed or touching which might cause some probs (only guessing though !)

Samgt4
27-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi, fuel pump is located on the front of the engine next to the oil filter mounting bracket. !)

Thanks bishbosh66 much appreciated ........

Crasher
27-01-2008, 03:28 PM
The electrical problems sound like steering column wiring damage, you should get this looked at by a competent auto electrician. Bear in mind the wiring to the column (thick red wire) and from the column to the engine (two black wires, one thin one normal and one heavy gauge red/black) is not fused so a short to a good earth could easily start a fire. Disconnect the battery for the time being until you get it repaired.

Samgt4
27-01-2008, 08:54 PM
Crasher thankyou very much for your replies. I spent "the day" inside this car ............... It is a faulty ignition switch. I can run the car fine by passing the ignition switch .... NOw i need an ignition switch , which is part of the ignition barrel , I started taking the ignition barrel off , removed the hex bolt off , then all seems like a nightmare,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I realised have to remove the steering wheel off tut:( . Anyway i might just fit 2 Switches , one switch to set the +feed going , and another switch to start and switch the starter off and off you go .

thanks guys for your input . all appreciated.
regards
Sam