PDA

View Full Version : MK4 1.6SE Golf Problem

jimmyca69
29-10-2006, 10:15 AM
1999 (V) Golf Mk4 1.6SE Problem

Excuse my VW ignorance, im more of a Honda man myself but need some help with my Girlfriends brothers car.

He was driving on motorway yesterday about 1hr 30mins into a 2hr journey and accelerating past a car and got to 60mph when the car started to judder and the revs started to independantly jump up (limp mode?) He got no ecu light or anything but had to pull in.

Turned car off and restarted and was juddering right through the rev range and when he got to 60 again it did the same thing. Eventually made it to us and I had a look round, couldnt see anything in engine bay etc but was wondering what would have caused this? The only thing i saw was the plastic top off the bell housing (used to check timing) was off but nothing else out of place.

Took it for a spin and when full throttle it does still seem bit juddery but previous problems have gone. Anyone have any ideas on this? Was thinking maybe its a sensor problem but wouldnt that trigger an ECU light? A mechanic friend mentioned it might be the coil pack on its way out?

Also does anyone know which fuse to remove to reset ecu? also is there any way of getting any stored ecu codes off the ECU rather than adding it to diagnostic machine? (With my Teg DC5 i can use a paper clip to get any codes of the ECU)

thanks in advance

James

adamss24
29-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Hi, you will need a diagnostic code reader. You could get a plug&play generic one from ebay but i would recomend a Vag -Com compatible interface as you could do more than just read/erase code with it once U get the hang of it, compared with a basic generic code reader. Then all you will need is a old laptop with a decent battery life(or a voltage inverter/converter) and the shareware version of Vag com that you could download from www.rosstech.com and you all set. Spend a few hours reading trough the FAQ and the relevant forum and when you get the car scaned, post the fault codes on this site and we may be able to help ! Note: do not use any paper clips on the ECU as its very easy to fry the ECU and thats big money ! On older cars one could read fault codes with a LED and a switch conected to the diagnostic conector but it was often unreliable.