PDA

View Full Version : Need to only use VW coolant?

tatham
26-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Hi

The manual and my local VW agent reckon I should only use VW coolant rather than buying the normal coolant from somewhere like Halfords. Anyone have an opinion, or know why the VW stuff is supposedly different?

Thanks!

Colin

'95 2.0 16v Passat

the_old_diver
27-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Hi Colin,
There are threads about it at http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=24586&highlight=coolant+type

I used the search thingy just above the welcome box ;-)

Important thing seems to be not to mix different types to avoid sludge or foaming. If you get it on your hands wash it off immediately - I read a nasty report somewhere of skin damage which took weeks to heal.
Hope this helps OD

tatham
27-01-2008, 11:57 AM
I used the search thingy just above the welcome box ;-)

Doh! That would have been a sensible approach!

Thanks!

erico
28-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Nope.
Just make sure that you flush your cooling system before you put in other than the original. If you don't flush the old stuff out and your expansion will have a foamy looking substance in it caused by mixing different types of antifreeze. VW gives cautionss about this in the tech advisories.

It is a good idea to use a major brand that has anti-corrosion additives. Of course, VW will tell you that it is mandated to use their product. Antifreeze is made of ethylene glycol no matter which brand.

hmm....I tried to delete my post but forum software wouldn't let me.

cheers

tatham
29-01-2008, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your advice erico (and the_old_diver).

Colin

greg123
11-02-2008, 11:51 AM
You can use blue, but why, as the proper G12 from factors is only a couple of pounds dearer and better protection. Whatever the case, unless you KNOW what it had in it, drop the fluid, fill with water, add coolant flush, run, flush out and re run the engine full again with water - do this about 5 times. It's really important to have all the old coolant out, whichever you use and it only costs time and water to do it. The heater circuit and bottom of the block just sit there unless you do it this way.