PDA

View Full Version : Stat postion on t1000 panelvan 1993

lostboy
25-01-2008, 10:43 PM
I have overheating problems~~ t1000 panel van /1900cc / non turbo / yr 1993 Stat Maybe,I`m pretty sure thats the problem as the van wasn`t blowing steam out the exhaust or filling bottle with fumes ie: "head gasket" the heater matrix is not giving the normal heat in the cab its sporadic and the temp gauge rises pretty quickly,had to stop to let it cool 5 times on way home tonight,radiator is not getting full temp through and hence the 2 fans are not firing at midway like they normally do.

The other thing,is the thermostat under the pully system/water pump,I`m presuming the water pump is where the belts are,it got too dark tonight to do anything out there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated by this Newbie.
Thanks in advance.

Jeff

lostboy
26-01-2008, 07:42 PM
Well I just took a flying guess and found the stat under the pump by the pullies as I thought,all you have to do is pull off the pipe running under the sump to the black plastic elbow under the pump,there lies the stat,well in my case replacing it did nothing,hmmm I refilled the system after fitting a new stat ,van warmed up to normal temperature~~ no heat in cab and large hose from stat wasn`t getting warm~so I pulled pipe off and water was flowing out of stat~just to verify it was working,put it back on refilled just to illiminate the old airlock prob~still no flow ito large pipe~ok now I suspect water pump has failed~as we all know the OE v/wagen pump vains are plastic and crack after 80,000 miles~so in we go lets remove the water pump~more problems water pump fixing are hidden under the cam belt cover,to remove the lower cover you have to remove the crankshaft pully~ looks like a 24 torq head~not in my toolbox so sunday I must go get one~To Be Continued.

Jeff

lostboy
28-01-2008, 04:14 PM
Well to end the story,I could not budge the crankshaft pulley bolt,I tried everything long bars you name it I tried it~it wouldn`t `ave it,I levered the bottom cambelt cover up a bit and took a look behind there and since buying a new pump for £30 can now see you need to remove the cambelt and an idler pulley to remove the water pump,owing to lack of time,I have a business to run and have access to other vehicles,I popped round to my local garage~a mate runs it,he has 4 posters ect and have entrusted the job to him,so I spose it was a learning curve,

Stat on T4 Transporter 1900 non turbo deisel 1993 is in the plastic elbow under pump by belts "my mistake on year its on a M plate" 1995

Pump removal entails removing crankshaft pulley and associated belts and cambelt~that you should replace aswell.

"dunno why my insurance co quoted them as a t1000"

Cya all.

carbon
28-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I've only worked on the 2.4 or 2.5's so not much help here as these are different setup's, water pump wise. I expect your insuance co lists it as a t1000 for its rated payload.

lostboy
05-02-2008, 08:21 PM
Well I got the van back today,turned out it was the waterpump,as I suspected the impellor had cracked and was just spinning on the shaft,
New cambelt and kit,new bottom cambelt cover new alternator belt my pump all in price was £220.

Jeff