PDA

View Full Version : audi coupe RANT!!!

mikecoupe
28-10-2006, 05:24 PM
5wks ago i paid £400 my coupe. Halfway home it stalled and wouldn't restart. Eventually got it going off a jump start but had to limp home with water warning light flashing and steam going up the window. Disconnected the heater matrix and ordered a new one approx £60 delivered weeks wait. Then the top rad hose blew out. Audi only part approx £60. 2 wks wait while shipped in from Germany. Informed head gasket blown - coolant full of oil. Fits new head gasket, plugs, dizzy, rotor arm and air filter £40. Complete strip down of dash to fit heater matrix done over 2 weekends. Alternator belt snaps. 3hrs to remove sticking starter motor clean and rebuild it 20 min to refit. Then the wiring probs had me off the road for a week after refitting dash. Car works perfectly lovely to drive! For one night!! Buys oil, coolant, oil filter and transmission fluid £40. Then the head gasket went again. So presumably head and probably block needs skimming. I hate my Audi with great passion. In 5wks i've done 40 miles in it. :zx11: With the tax thats the biggest waste of £700 i've ever had. Shoulda fixed the cavalier..........................sob

Big Andy B
29-10-2006, 02:49 PM
always beware the bargain banger

davebatt69
10-11-2006, 06:06 PM
Hello Mike, This sounds bad, i need to remove the dash from mine, can you give me some tips or should i stay well clear ??????

Regards
Dave

mikecoupe
11-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Its not as bad as you might think. But it is a daunting task. If youre replacing the heater matrix like i did you'll need a 24mm socket for the steering wheel an 8mm socket and extension for most of the dash bolts and a no.2 philips. I'd recommend having a haynes manual to hand. remove steering wheel, console surrounding the handbrake, lower clocks console, centre console (few hidden bolts behind air vent blocks), panel above pedals, glove box, clocks, 4 bolts on main dash at sides near door hinges. remove two hoses under the bonnet theres also 2 nuts to remove just below them that secure the matrix in position. while your there the vent just below passenger side windscreen wiper needs to be unbolted too. someone suggested to me that the jobs made far simpler by removing the front seats also. Oh an theres a large plastic venting that runs from left vent to right and to the centre air vent (like a huge wing) that you'll have to remove from under the dash. when you come to remove the indicator stem shroud theres an allen bolt holding the assembly onto the steering column accessed from underneath at a funny angle. I've probably missed loads out!!!! i believe audi allow about 4hrs for the job. i took my time but i could have done the job in a fraction of the time i took. Good luck.

mikecoupe
11-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Update on my banger. I had the head skimmed, rebuilt the engine again with another new head gasket, still overheating, fans not kicking in. tested 3 thermo switches and 2 faulty. replaced one joined wires together to get by till other came in stock. Fans only kick in once the cars boiled itself to death and stalled and i've switched the ignition off?!!!?!?!?!? now theres water in the oil as well as oil in the water:confused: . So the block presumably needs refacing. :aargh4: :zx11: Time for the decision on buying an engine or just getting shut and cutting my losses, now over £700. Just to add to the fun on the way to buy yet another hose for the rad i got clocked by the law doing 78 in a 50 on my fireblade. Instant Ban anybody? lookin like i'm cyclin for xmas. Have to invest in a puncture repair kit.................

san
13-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Mike, sounds like you put our 2 cars together & you get one mother of a problem.... am in the process of sorting heater control panel out, but I suspect there is another problem waiting in the wings !!!!
Am also in process of getting new PAS pump, the door seals need replacing & have already had to have a new dash cluster.... I forget the reason I got rid of last car, oh yeah - was costing too much money !!!!!!!

Sam
14-11-2006, 12:54 PM
Mike, sorry for your troubles.

I'd cut my loses and offer the car as parts assuming you have the time to do so.

I presume you bought the car "sold-as-seen" and there's no comeback on the lovely previous owner?

I have a puncture repair kit going cheap if you want it, to you, £500, sold as seen :D

mikecoupe
15-11-2006, 01:49 AM
£500 sounds a bit steep would you take a scrap audi and £499.99 its my final offer :aargh4: :biglaugh:

Trying to source a motor for it any suggestions as to a reputable dealer wouldn't go amiss. Its an 2.0e AAD fuel injection engine 1991 J reg. :1zhelp:

Sam
15-11-2006, 10:41 AM
Nope, £500 firm, sorry :)

Where are you based?