PDA

View Full Version : 2002 1.4 TDi Polo charging system fault,lights on dash & power steering failure !

Veedubmad
25-01-2008, 09:35 PM
:1zhelp:

My wife was driving my Polo 1.4 Tdi when suddenly several warning lights came on the dash :zx11: which consisted of a Steering Wheel with an exclaimation mark next to it, the ABS light and a picture of a seat tilting! Then the power steering failed so she stopped. We called the rac out and they indicated that the battery was not charging so it must be the alternator which has packed in. I went out and bought a new alternator (£200) :aargh4:, put it on and its no different. Also i have noticed that the battery light on the dash does not come on when the ignition is turned on.

Does anyone know what might be the problem ??

Cheers

kenney
25-01-2008, 09:53 PM
Hi It is one of two possible faults,the 1, a fault with the dash panel insert, 2 a fault in the wire from the dash panel to the the alternator.I need your engine code to advise you how to eliminate the one fault from the other.

Veedubmad
25-01-2008, 09:59 PM
I think my engine code is AMF.

kenney
25-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Hi again Then you need to remove the dash panel and ohm the blue wire pin 3 on the 32 pin connector,(behind dash panel) and the blue wire on the alternator connector,this will indicate if you have a break on the wire.

Veedubmad
25-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Is the check on the blue wire intended to get to the cause of the problem of having no battery light or the other symptoms i mentioned as well ?

Many Thanks.

Veedubmad
25-01-2008, 11:01 PM
Im going to perform the check on the blue wire first thing tomorrow and i will post my results asap.

Thanks.:D

kenney
25-01-2008, 11:26 PM
The alternator is magnitized by the the alternator warning lamp if there is a break in this wire ,the alternator,will not charge.

Crasher
26-01-2008, 01:19 AM
The power steering pump is electric so if the battery voltage is low, it won't pump.

Veedubmad
26-01-2008, 10:26 AM
I have now ohm checked pin 3 and the blue wire in the plug which goes onto the alternator and have got no reading ie open circuit. Is there a common place for this wire to break or a good place for me to start looking for the break ? :zx11:

Thanks

Veedubmad
26-01-2008, 02:48 PM
:D

Ive found the break in the blue wire!
It was at the second connector in the wire just below the starter motor so ive done away with the connector altogether and permanently soldered the wires.
Alternator now gives a healthy output, no lights on the dash and i even have a battery light.

So problem solved & thanks for all your helpful info.

Only thing is that now the airbag warning light has decided to stay on so thats my next task but at least my cars back in action.

Cheers

Crasher
26-01-2008, 06:34 PM
That often happens after a low battery charge level, it will just need a code read/clear.

Veedubmad
26-01-2008, 08:53 PM
For future reference, on my car the blue wire from the connector on the alternator was actually pin 15 on the 32 hole connector on the back of the instrument cluster.

Again, many thanks to all who advised on this problem.

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Scampy
29-01-2008, 04:32 PM
The alternator is magnitized by the the alternator warning lamp if there is a break in this wire ,the alternator,will not charge.

My daughters car's alternator light does not illuminate yet the alternator is definately charging.

Any ideas?

Crasher
29-01-2008, 06:45 PM
If you were to put a multimeter on the battery and start the engine without revving it, you would see approx 12 volts. Increase the revs and at approx 2500rpm the voltage would suddenly jump to approx 13.8 volts and this is a symptom associated with problems in the alternator warning light circuit.

Scampy
29-01-2008, 09:10 PM
If you were to put a multimeter on the battery and start the engine without revving it, you would see approx 12 volts. Increase the revs and at approx 2500rpm the voltage would suddenly jump to approx 13.8 volts and this is a symptom associated with problems in the alternator warning light circuit.

Crasher Thanks for the info, the car isn't here at the moment to check but what is the cure? I have been advised that the alternator has a fault but could the ignition circuit/switch/warning light also be at fault?

Crasher
29-01-2008, 09:43 PM
You should check the continuity of the wiring between the instruments and the alternator which doesn’t take too long to do. The wiring varies a lot, can you PM me the cars reg so I can check the specific layout for that car and your email address if you want the wiring diagram.

Scampy
29-01-2008, 10:15 PM
You should check the continuity of the wiring between the instruments and the alternator which doesn’t take too long to do. The wiring varies a lot, can you PM me the cars reg so I can check the specific layout for that car and your email address if you want the wiring diagram.

Crasher cannot send pm as I haven't got enough posts!! Can you pm me your email address and I will send info by return

Crasher
30-01-2008, 12:18 AM
Consider it done, sent you an email.

prestigej
31-01-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi, I have 2002 1.9TDI polo with the same problems, however the the plug onto the alternator has voltage to it. It just wont power up the alternator. As soon as i bridge the live to the plug on the alternator it powers up.

There is no battery light on the dash.

Any suggestions???

Thanks.

Crasher
31-01-2008, 05:02 PM
Does the alternator charge?

prestigej
31-01-2008, 08:58 PM
Does the alternator charge?

Thanks, the alternator will charge when i activate it manually from 12V poitive to the blue input connector on the alternator.

The blue wire shows a voltage of 11V and the other wire shows a voltage of approx 9-10V.

I have had the instrument panel checked at WV today and there is no problems with that either, just no battery light.

kenney
31-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Hi Remove the blue wire from the alternator and run it to earth,with the ignition on,the control light should light (if,the dash panel and the wire connections are ok).If the control light ,lights,then there is a fault with the alternator

prestigej
31-01-2008, 09:28 PM
We have tried that and still no light when running to earth.

The alternator is a new one also and as soon as it is activated manually it works fine until the car is turned off. Then it has to be reactivated again.

prestigej
31-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 2002 model that i can work from.

Crasher
31-01-2008, 09:49 PM
The Polo 9N charging wire (blue) goes into the on board power supply unit and that instructs the instruments of a problem, didn't the VW dealer bother to tell you this?

kenney
31-01-2008, 09:53 PM
What is the engine code

prestigej
31-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Thanks, I believe it is either AFN or ASV.

Crasher
31-01-2008, 10:19 PM
It is ATD.

kenney
31-01-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi Is it not a 1.4tdi we are talking about?is the ATD not a 1,9 ? and the Polo has no AFN engine that i know of, the nearest i can get is the AMF engine

prestigej
31-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks, I was going by the engine codes on Auto data. Mine is the 1.9 TDI on the 2002 Kenney.

Crasher, all our local WV would say is that there was not a problem wioth the dash and that there was a short ECU to Alternator on the invoice.

kenney
31-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Hi the wire runs from the alternator to a 2-pin connector, near the starter,and to pin 1 on an 11-pin connector, (white), on left of the bulkhead ,from there to pin 9 on an 18-pin connector, (brown) on the OB supply unit.

prestigej
31-01-2008, 11:08 PM
Thanks, thats a great help. I will test the circuit between the points now on that circuit.

prestigej
04-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Hi Kenney, could you tell me whereabouts the OB Unit is. I have managed to find a broken wire under the starter and have joined that. All was good the battery light came on and the car started and charged. Turned it off and then back on and no battery light. After a few turns of the ignition it appeared again. Switched off and it then took another few clicks of the ignition before it came back on again... WEird i have to say.

I have a wiring diagram, thanks Crasher however that does not show me where the wiring goes after connection 27 on the diagram.

Any help guys would be appreciated. I thought i was there and i nearly could be.

Thanks.....

Crasher
04-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Between the On Board Power supply and the dash the light is CAN BUS controlled.

prestigej
04-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks Crasher. Do you know whereabouts behind the dash the OB supply is located. I can run a test from it then. Is it possible that supply will make the light intermittent.

Crasher
04-02-2008, 09:23 PM
It is directly above your right foot, clip lying horizontal, into the wiring, fuse, relay etc carrier. A fault code read of the system would make sense.

prestigej
04-02-2008, 09:27 PM
The system only shows the one fault code which is p1503 Load signal from Alternator Term. DF Range/performance/Incorrect Signal

States that it has an implausable signal.

Thanks for that info.

rta
27-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Just had the same thing you have saved me loads of time many thanks

slicker55
08-06-2021, 07:43 AM
Just had the same thing you have saved me loads of time many thanksI appreciate it's been a few years - trying to resolve a similar issue myself - did you get it fixed and if so, can you remember what it was?