PDA

View Full Version : 1996 Passat 1.9TDI Starting Problem

Wallace Passat
25-01-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi Everyone,

I hope someone out there can help me with a problem on my 1996 Passat CL 1.9 TDI.

When I turn the igintion key to start the car, nothing happens. I have checked the battery along with the started motor and solenoid and these are fine.

I'm a bit stuck knowing what to do next, was wondering if it may a problem with a relay, if so does anyone know the relay number?

Many thanks for reading this and hope you can help.

Steve

kenney
25-01-2008, 10:03 PM
Hi There is no relay to the starter, if you bridge the 2 wires behind the ignition switch,the red on black and the red wire,if the starter works then it is the ignition which is at fault.If you are sure the starter and solenoid are ok then you have a break on the wire from the ignition switch to the starter.if the starter does not work.
'

Wallace Passat
25-01-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi,

Thats great thank you I'm certain the starter is fine I'll look at those wires in the morning, Thanks once again.

rogersvw
30-01-2008, 09:00 PM
Sorry to but in. My 96 passat has the same trouble.
Must be a problem with the switches in general cos turn the ket to start and nothing.

It may not help but all i did was take the main power to ignition switch and feed to solenoid and put a push button in its place. Hey presto car works.

samsang
06-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Hi, sorry if i'm posting in the wrong section, couldn't figure out how to create a new thread.

I have a passat 1.9 Tdi and have the dreded ignition swith or barrel problem where the car wont turn over, it just clicks, ive done the battery to starter connection and it starts straight away.

My question is
1) How do i remove the ignition barrel
&
2) How do i remove the ignition switch

Many thanks.