PDA

View Full Version : TDI 130 power loss

nudger
25-01-2008, 02:58 PM
Hi People! Im new on this and would really like some help! I have a 2002 passat tdi se 130 saloon,its been getting slower and slower,ive had all pipes checked for splits as ive had that problem in the past,but the guys who service the car have been saying for a while that the cause is sticking vanes in the turbo,it seemed to kick in at 2500-3000rpm but it struggles to do that even now,after reading on here i had a vw MAF fitted,but no change! Been quoted £1000 for new turbo,but my mind and bank balance are in denial! Are there strict part types if I look at recon or used ones?hope someone can offer me some insight,Im not very technically minded,but I love the car and just want it back to its old self! By the way its got 198K on it ive had it since 100K,Thanks:1zhelp:

davetdiredi
25-01-2008, 03:54 PM
I've been reading something in the how to's section about cleaning the turbo with pictures. I maybe need to go down that road soon.

nudger
27-01-2008, 08:37 PM
OK,Thanks Dave,will have a look there. Had another garage put diagnostic gear on it yesterday,said it was showing 'pressure boost fault',he cleared that and we took it out for a run,seemed bit livelier,turbo kicking in at 2700-3000rpm,but absolutely no guts before that.He advised going to VW and getting them to wire it up and see what it said,but also warned me that they'll charge so much at first then ring and say they need to look further into it and charge a fortune!:(

Eddie
27-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Shop around for a turbo my m8 picked up one for 260 squid i will try and find out where he got it from. Ed

qaiser
28-01-2008, 08:04 PM
i enquired about one form euro car parts, if you squeeze em a bit i think theyll do it for about just under 400

Eddie
29-01-2008, 12:11 AM
I think his was a recon unit i will check with him. Ed

billza1967
29-01-2008, 06:37 PM
I think his was a recon unit i will check with him. Edhello mate i had the exact same problem so i had a new turbo and cat fitted and hey presto it was no different 1200 quid down the swanny took it to vw and there master technichian couldnt find what was wrong in the end i done it myself; if you take the vacuum pipe off the wastegate actuator watch the metal rod below it, it should drop ,when you put the pipe back on it should lift about an inch keep putting it on and off while the engine is running also when i put the pipe back on i removed one of the pipes on the airbox cant remember which one and the rod moved even further up which makes me think theres a problem on the vaccum side i put a small pair of molegrips on the pipe on the airbox and it drove like rocket but that makes the turbo overboost ,anyway i drove it for 10 mins give it a good blast took off yhe molegrips and the car has run great ever since hope this helps i think with the mileage you have on the car youve done well not to change the turbo