PDA

View Full Version : How to get a replacement fob...where best to go?

Eshrules
28-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Hi Guys,

dealer's being an ***, wont pay for a 2nd key & fob and im not happy about only having the one, so where would i have to go to get this done? short & sweet but i sense the answer is not going to be the same. :zx11:

adamss24
28-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi, ypu could try to get a used fob off ebay and pray that works and then get a few new switchblades(key blades) at about 3-4 pounds each and go to a verry good locksmith to have it cut. If you have Vag com you could program your new key fob but you will need to get a 7 numbers SKC(secure key code). Older cars used to came with a key tag with a 4 number SKC so if you have that then you could see KEY PROGRAMING on the www.rosstech.com. There are programs out there that read the instrument cluster KeyCode and also lets you program new keys easily but they are pricey. Now dealers use a system called GEKO where they conect the car to the main factory database in Germany and the tech does not see the SKC at all. To go the easyest route i will sugest the dealer(even though i hate that !) for peace of mind all in about 140 pounds but check with them first. There are ways to program keys without the dealer help but they verry dificult and takes ages.

Eshrules
28-10-2006, 11:35 AM
so even though i have vag com, i cant code the key because only the dealer has them? so either way im stuffed? is that right?

adamss24
28-10-2006, 12:00 PM
No, you can code the keys by yourself but you need the SKC for the instrument cluster to be able to program the immobiliser to recognise the key's transponder ! If your car is pre 98 you have immo2 if its after 99 you may have immo 3. See the code of the immobiliser when you scan the instruments and compare it with the ones of the rosstech website(key matching with immo2/immo3) so you can know what immo you have(note that some models had immo 2 untill 2003 sold in europe) and if you have/can get the original SKC then its relativelly easy. There are programs that can extract the SKC from your instruments eeprom memory but they are pricey(vag tacho...). Send me a adress and i will send you a coppy of the soft i use... but you have to get familiar with the key programing procedure first. Also i could supply you with programig procedures for your particular car/model/year/immo without the need of a SKC but they are often fussy and quite difficult. If you wanna give it a try let me know. Please note that you may disable your existing keys/remote fob and have a car that will not start ! That is why i sayd to go to dealer for peace of mind...! Hope this helps.

Eshrules
28-10-2006, 12:57 PM
ok. well ive just got all the package, the cable & the software for the vag com, so consider me a complete novice :P my addy is

eshrules@hotmail.com

couple of questions :P hope you dont mind answering them!

how do i view my immobiliser code?
where do i get the SKC code?
another thing thats confusing me, the frequency of an alarm fob must be specific to the car, so how can you 'code' the fob to your car? i must sound so thick :p but all your help is greatly appreciated!

adamss24
28-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Actually the radio freq remote fobs work on the same freqwency but they feature rolling codes. Bassically they have complex algoritms built in so when they are syncronised they will have the same code and so on but every time will be a different one ! I meant your home adress and i will send a cd with somme software to retrieve your SKC. Before you could have the dealer generate a SKC and if you noted the day when it was generated and the dealer number who generated the SKC then you could have used it all the time with vag com. See if you could have your dealer generate a SKC for you but i think they cannot do that anymore as they implemented the GEKO system !

Eshrules
29-10-2006, 11:44 PM
sent you a pm earlier mate, hope you got it!

Eshrules
02-11-2006, 03:40 PM
bump** :( had no reply to my pm :(

diogenis
05-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I have a 2001 S8 and the instrument cluster is ( Nav screen) is fading. I need my SKC code to replace it. This car has an IMMO 3. How can I get the SKC? THE dealer is not giving it to me he is saying that he cann't.....

No, you can code the keys by yourself but you need the SKC for the instrument cluster to be able to program the immobiliser to recognise the key's transponder ! If your car is pre 98 you have immo2 if its after 99 you may have immo 3. See the code of the immobiliser when you scan the instruments and compare it with the ones of the rosstech website(key matching with immo2/immo3) so you can know what immo you have(note that some models had immo 2 untill 2003 sold in europe) and if you have/can get the original SKC then its relativelly easy. There are programs that can extract the SKC from your instruments eeprom memory but they are pricey(vag tacho...). Send me a adress and i will send you a coppy of the soft i use... but you have to get familiar with the key programing procedure first. Also i could supply you with programig procedures for your particular car/model/year/immo without the need of a SKC but they are often fussy and quite difficult. If you wanna give it a try let me know. Please note that you may disable your existing keys/remote fob and have a car that will not start ! That is why i sayd to go to dealer for peace of mind...! Hope this helps.

adamss24
05-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Hi, there are programs that read your instrument cluster SKC trough diagnostic port like VAG EEPROM PROGRAMMER and VAG DASH, etc. Then you will need a valid login code and you need to read the corect procedure for IMMO 3 on www.rosstech.com under the key programming with immo3. Good luck.

diogenis
08-11-2006, 03:05 PM
Hey Addams, I have rosstech vag-com cable. Do you know if it will work with the programs you mentioned?

Thanks

Hi, there are programs that read your instrument cluster SKC trough diagnostic port like VAG EEPROM PROGRAMMER and VAG DASH, etc. Then you will need a valid login code and you need to read the corect procedure for IMMO 3 on www.rosstech.com (http://www.rosstech.com) under the key programming with immo3. Good luck.

adamss24
08-11-2006, 05:52 PM
Yes, they will ! Actually vag dash has a button that will add new keys to the immo and will do all the programming for you !

diogenis
08-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Do you have the programs/softwares that I could use to get the SKC?
Can u email them to me?

Yes, they will ! Actually vag dash has a button that will add new keys to the immo and will do all the programming for you !

id0mrg
10-11-2006, 01:23 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie and would be delighted if Adamss24 would also send me the software/instructions to add remote keys for a Golf Mk4, late 2000, both for use with VAG-COM and manually - I'll send my address by PM. I've just obtained a couple of remotes on eBay to replace a lost one and, contrary to what was said earlier in the thread, I understand that there are 433MHz (older) and 434MHz (newer) remotes and the correct frequency is essential when replacing a lost remote. I understand that the part number must also be identical including the suffix letter/s (mine are 433MHz and HLO 1JO 959 753 N). The The part number can be found on the the paper tag that comes with the black plastic spare key or by splitting the two halves of the remote. If you flip the key open and look in the space where the key folded, you will see a small slot half way along the body of the fob. If you insert a screwdriver and twist, the key end will separate from the transponder end. Full frequency and part number details are shown on the button piece that is revealed. (The printing is quite small so, depending on how good your eyesight is, you may need a magnifying glass to read the details). As regards replacement blades, I found a locksmith via eBay who will supply a cut keyblade to a key number (found on the black plastic tag on the plastic key) or to a good digital photograph. I had temporarily mislaid my plastic key but sent a photo. The blade supplied was perfect and the locksmith was able to tell me the key number for future reference (which tallies with my, now found, tag). The cost of the blade, cutting and postage was £9.54. I can put anyone interested in touch with the locksmith, and provide instructions for changing the blade.

diogenis
10-11-2006, 03:22 PM
id0mrg,
Here is the link for instructions to match your remote with Vag-com.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw-remote-matching.html
Now, I have the directions for the audi how to do it, i guess it would be the same for the VW but please verify them.
You will need BOTH of your "switchblade" keys to reprogram one or both of them.
1) Take the key you DO NOT want to program and put it in the ignition. Turn it one click forward.
2) Close and lock the drivers door with the second key.
3) On the second key (the one in the drivers door) press the 'UNLOCK' button ONCE only. The lights will flash on the car, but the doors will remain locked
4) With the second key still in the drivers door, unlock then lock the door again.
5) Pull the key from the slot and test remote functions.
6) Open drivers door, remove key from ignition.
If both of your remotes don't work, do the above for the first key, but on step #3, press the 'UNLOCK' button twice. The lights will flash twice, then continue on with step #4.

id0mrg
10-11-2006, 03:32 PM
Thanks for this diogenis. I had seen this method in an Audi thread, and would be grateful if anyone can confirm that this will work for a Golf Mk4, November 2000 1.6 petrol. I've already followed a manual method to programme my spare remotes so that they will lock/unlock the doors. Do you know whether the method you have outlined, also programs the keys to the immobiliser so that they can start the engine/disarm the alarm?

diogenis
11-11-2006, 10:53 PM
To my knowledge programming keys to the immobilizer can only be done by the dealer, unless you have the Secret Key Code. Adamss24 mentioned above that there are softwares that can read that code from your car, but I have never seen it or touched; I watched the dealer reprogramming my keys to the immo after I got stuck somewhere.... the bad news is that the code is transmitted from the AUDI/VW headquarters thru the dealer's computer via the obd port to the Immo, and the technicians can not even see the SKC. http://www.ross-tech.com/ has plenty of information about using the VAG tool (for all types of immo) to match new keys or replace the ECU or the instrument cluster but you need the SKC code. The good news is that if our cars can not be hot wired and that the thief will have to junk the instrument cluster and the ECU.... What ****** me off is that we the onwers should have all the keys to our car, if AUDI/VW wants to have a copy is fine but keeping that number secret from the legal owners and making us going to AUDI/VW for any work needed to be performed on the keys /immo/ cluster /ECU is too much.

diogenis
17-11-2006, 09:33 PM
Just wanted to let you know that I just got a tool that works on most gasoline engine AUDI/ VW and reads the SKC code from IMMO3. Problem solved I can do anything I want now without depending on the ********. :aargh4: :beerchug:
:biglaugh:

id0mrg
18-11-2006, 02:40 AM
Good news Diogenis! Any chance of a copy?:Blush:

diogenis
18-11-2006, 02:42 AM
Good news Diogenis! Any chance of a copy?:Blush:

Its not software .. it is an actual tool... connected on OBDII and voila in 30 secs....
:beerchug:

Eshrules
18-11-2006, 09:24 AM
hi, how on earth did you find this tool, also, i didnt think you could read that kind of thing from the obd port? i thought it was for engine code diagnostics only?!

diogenis
18-11-2006, 03:31 PM
hi, how on earth did you find this tool, also, i didnt think you could read that kind of thing from the obd port? i thought it was for engine code diagnostics only?!

I got stuck one week after I bought my S8 I was waiting for AUDI of america to send me a tow truck for 2 hours they never showed up (you see it was Friday night). As I was waiting there I had my laptop with me, the VAG cable in the trunk so I said what the hell let me check and see what is going on. I got some transponder/immobilizer error.. My car thought I was stealing it.... Didn't know match then about immobilizers my S4 which I owned for long time does not have that gadget, I tried to log in the immobilizer and ... I needed a PIN or SKC!!!! I thought it was going to be in the Bentley manual which i did not have with me .. I removed the battery cable waited a few minutes put it back on car started. Next day I drove to the dealer. I asked for the PIN and they said they couldn't get it. I had them reprogram all the keys and I left. CPO car no charge they aplogized for the inconvininence offered me coffee too... but since then I was ****** at AUDI How can they keep that code from the owners!!! I tried the headquarters I tried everything.... but no luck. Since then I was looking for a tool. And I got one.. a little pricey but will pay its self when I get stuck and I will need to override the immobilizer or when I program my new key.. its worth it!, or when my DIS fades or the ECU goes.... Now I have ALL the Keys to my car.

id0mrg
18-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Hi Diogenis, Glad to hear of your success. What is the tool, where did you find it and what do you mean by "pricey"?

omega-strain
30-11-2006, 07:42 PM
heres the only site i know of that sells one http://www.vag-info.com/:D

MalcQV
01-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Just a thought. If the current owner has the SKC or PIN then he/she has the capability to steal the car from the next owner?

I have bought cars with just one key (only realising when I picked the car up).
My Passat and my previous Honda Accord were bought with one key/fob. It makes me wonder who and why was there no second key.

In the case with my Accord it was 7 years old when I bought it, so the keys may have been lost. The Passat's spare fob was at the VW dealer it came from, and that I never saw.

So not so sure I want the previous owner to know how to get in/start my car ;)

adamss24
01-12-2006, 11:02 AM
Just a thought. If the current owner has the SKC or PIN then he/she has the capability to steal the car from the next owner?

I have bought cars with just one key (only realising when I picked the car up).
My Passat and my previous Honda Accord were bought with one key/fob. It makes me wonder who and why was there no second key.

In the case with my Accord it was 7 years old when I bought it, so the keys may have been lost. The Passat's spare fob was at the VW dealer it came from, and that I never saw.

So not so sure I want the previous owner to know how to get in/start my car ;)
Its a bit more complicated. If you have the SKC then with wag com its easy to program/add keys to the immobiliser. Vag cars accept up to for remotes and up to 8 transponder/key codes. If you buy a car with only one key its wise to disable the other missing ones but you will need the login code for the instruments. Its explained in detail on the rosstech website. Thanks.

MalcQV
01-12-2006, 01:31 PM
Cheers Adams24, the dealer provided me with another fob at their cost. However I do wonder where the other fob is :zx11:

Eshrules
20-12-2006, 03:46 PM
right, i've got a new key and fob on its way, what do i need to do now :P i've got vagcom and i've got vagdash. lol any help would be much appreciated adams24 :)

johnxl1s
15-01-2007, 01:44 PM
My second key/remote fob is not operating, Golfmark 4 2000 diesal .can the battery be tested, is there a time limit on replaceing the battery, or what would the forum advise to get this operating.
thanks
john.

G112XTC
20-08-2007, 03:10 PM
:1zhelp:2 weeks ago, I bought an audi A4 2001 new shape without a remote key fob but the emergency manual key. And sensing this to be a very dangerous situation to be in, I then phoned AUDI to get a replacement, but the scums told me that I had to fork out £160.....confounded I am thinking.....How do these people manage to sleep at night charging such immoral prices? That being that, I am in a situation where I must buy another key or God forbid, I may have to pay a fortune if I lose the emergency key. After a bit of research, I bought a key blade from ebay for £4 (the scums charge £40) & also got a used key fob. My fob part number is 8Z0 837 231 01C, but the used fob I got is 8Z0 837 231 D.......Now here comes the questions

1) Will the fob I got work on my car?
2) Can I program the remote using the instructions set out in other threads after the key has been cut
3) is it possible to program the old remote to work, before replacing the key on it (to use now, as I am sick to the bone of opening the car manually)

Thank you very much in anticipation...............please save the trip to the dealer's;)

Ben
20-08-2007, 03:20 PM
2 weeks ago, I bought an audi A4 2001 new shape without a remote key fob but the emergency manual key. And sensing this to be a very dangerous situation to be in, I then phoned AUDI to get a replacement, but the scums told me that I had to fork out £160.....confounded :mad: I am thinking.....How do these people manage to sleep at night charging such immoral prices? That being that, I am in a situation where I must buy another key or God forbid, I may have to pay a fortune if I lose the emergency key. After a bit of research, I bought a key blade from ebay for £4 (the scums charge £40) & also got a used key fob. My fob part number is 8Z0 837 231 01C, but the used fob I got is 8Z0 837 231 D.......Now here comes the questions

2) Can I program the remote using the instructions set out in other threads after the key has been cut

3) is it possible to program the old remote to work, before replacing the key on it (to use now, as I am sick to the bone of opening the car manually)

Thank you very much in anticipation...............please save the trip to the dealer's

see duplicate post in the A4 section:D

Eshrules
20-08-2007, 03:21 PM
:1zhelp:2 weeks ago, I bought an audi A4 2001 new shape without a remote key fob but the emergency manual key. And sensing this to be a very dangerous situation to be in, I then phoned AUDI to get a replacement, but the scums told me that I had to fork out £160.....confounded :mad: I am thinking.....How do these people manage to sleep at night charging such immoral prices? That being that, I am in a situation where I must buy another key or God forbid, I may have to pay a fortune if I lose the emergency key. After a bit of research, I bought a key blade from ebay for £4 (the scums charge £40) & also got a used key fob. My fob part number is 8Z0 837 231 01C, but the used fob I got is 8Z0 837 231 D.......Now here comes the questions

Thank you very much in anticipation...............please save the trip to the dealer's;)

firstly, please refrain from using foul language, theres no need for it ;)

secondly, you need to give Audi a ring, give them your chassis/vin number and get the correct part number for the remote fob, make sure it matches the one you've got.

finally, you can programme the remote to the alarm system, easy peasy, but coding the key so it starts the car is a whole different kettle of fish im afraid :Blush2: this can't be done without the right hardware or going to a dealer. :(

Eshrules
20-08-2007, 03:24 PM
didnt realise you had duped this in the A4 section.

thread closed