PDA

View Full Version : EGR Valve removal......

Altair
25-01-2008, 10:56 AM
How easy is it to remove and clean?

As of late my car has started to smell a bit at the back end, you know like a bus when it pulls away from a bus stop!:D

Now my car is a 51 plate PD tdi se 130 with only 67k on the clock with a full service history and since I've had it it's had plenty of services!

Would removing this and checking for crap inside of it be the first step to finding out why why car smells and smokes a bit?

I just seemed to have noticed it all of a sudden:confused:

And one final question, do diesel tdi's have a cat converter on them?

Altair
27-01-2008, 12:10 PM
BUMP!

Anybody.............:dunno:

red tdi
03-02-2008, 11:02 AM
I have just removed the EGR valve from my 2001 130 Passat. Once cowling and airflow meter cover are removed it is simple enough to get at.
It needs 5mm and 6mm Allen Keys and a 12mm socket for the pipe coming from the exhaust manifold. Also take off the inlet manifold with six 6mm hexagonal bolts and leave in tub of kerosene overnight.
Buy a can of brake and carb cleaner for the EGR valve. Once you see inside and see the amount of dirt inside you might need to do a lot of scraping to get it out. Clean the butterfly valve and inside of EGR with the brake cleaner and a little small paintbrush.

Its made my car less smoky so its worth doing.

FARA
03-02-2008, 11:25 AM
I have just removed the EGR valve from my 2001 130 Passat. Once cowling and airflow meter cover are removed it is simple enough to get at.
It needs 5mm and 6mm Allen Keys and a 12mm socket for the pipe coming from the exhaust manifold. Also take off the inlet manifold with six 6mm hexagonal bolts and leave in tub of kerosene overnight.
Buy a can of brake and carb cleaner for the EGR valve. Once you see inside and see the amount of dirt inside you might need to do a lot of scraping to get it out. Clean the butterfly valve and inside of EGR with the brake cleaner and a little small paintbrush.

Its made my car less smoky so its worth doing.

I need to do this. Is it a fairly straight forward job to remove the inlet manifold. Are there any replacement gaskets required etc and on re-fitting do you need to tighten the 6mm bolts to a specified torque.

Sorry Altair, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

red tdi
03-02-2008, 02:16 PM
I need to do this. Is it a fairly straight forward job to remove the inlet manifold. Are there any replacement gaskets required etc and on re-fitting do you need to tighten the 6mm bolts to a specified torque.

Sorry Altair, I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
there is only a rubber gasket on the egr which will be reuseable don`t try to pull it out and the one on the inlet manifold is also reuseable well mine was didn,t torque bolts just good and tight as didn,t want to damage aluminium threads

passat 130 tdi
03-02-2008, 02:47 PM
those are the exact symtoms mine has , the smell kinda chokes me , engine seems to miss a heart beat on tickover i then get little chuffs of smoke.

let us know how you get on cleaning the egr. :beerchug:

Altair
03-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!:beerchug:

I'm off work on Friday so that'll be when the job will be done!

Sounds easy enough and I also have a can of brake cleaner handy so jobs a good un!:D

Altair
06-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Removed and cleaned this morning and was relatively easy to do only one of the 5mm allan key bolts was a bit tricky to get at but wasn't overly tight so it made it easier to undo!:p

The EGR valve on my car was nothing short of filthy as were the pipes fore and after! Dumped in a tub of kerosene for a few hours and then scrubbed and blasted with an airline it went back on sparkling, the pipes were cleaned as best as I could.

Can't really notice anything at the moment due to daylight not showing up the fumes but I'm gonna give it a blast tonight as it was only really noticeable when you looked in the rear view mirror and the car behind headlights made it noticeable!

red tdi
06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
cleaning egr will allow more spent exhaust nox fumes to recirculate back into the inlet manifold therefore using less precious diesel but will result in still seeing slight smoke under load of acceleration especially when car lights behind ,unless driving a car with diesel particulate filter e.g bmw / peugeot.

caldirun
06-02-2008, 07:43 PM
The EGR valve on my car was nothing short of filthy as were the pipes fore and after! Dumped in a tub of kerosene for a few hours and then scrubbed and blasted with an airline it went back on sparkling, the pipes were cleaned as best as I could.

Did you clean the inlet manifold, as when I did mine I could not belive the crap that came out (I soaked it in diesel then use a wire bottle brush)?

red tdi
06-02-2008, 08:48 PM
yes cleaned inlet manifold as well ,powerhose,kero and wirebrushed what a way to spend a friday evening . wife not impressed as myself ,house,everything stinks of heating oil plus alot of black doorhandles!