View Full Version : new guy

mike c
09-01-2005, 12:18 PM
hi new on here

need some advice about a audi a4 avant

a friend of mine is looking to buy one

either a 1.8 1.8t 1.8tdi

what sort of stuff do i need to look out for

what normal goes wrong with them etc. etc.

thanks mike

stuart
09-01-2005, 07:07 PM
hi new on here

need some advice about a audi a4 avant

a friend of mine is looking to buy one

either a 1.8 1.8t 1.8tdi

what sort of stuff do i need to look out for

what normal goes wrong with them etc. etc.

thanks mike
Hi Mike

First of all thanks for joining the site.

The Audi A4 Avant is a very practical vehicle, good comfort, specification and you have the combination of a good family car and the space of a work horse if needed.

In Petrol form, the 1.8 20v and the 1.8T are basicaly the same engine in design, very reliable as long as they have been maintained well. From experience in my work, problems with these engines are very few, but there are a couple of major faults on non well maintained cars. These are, cambelt failure, which will almost always destroy the cylinder head. There was a modification on these which changed the cambelt and associated tensioners to eliminate the fault. Not sure if this was a re-call or just a modification when required. The other fault was oil pumps.

As for Diesel engines, you have the option of the 1.9TDi in a number of power outputs, again a very reliable and economical engine.

The only other thing we sell a lot of, and again was subject to a modification, was the front suspension arms, 8 in total wear out at both the ball joints and bushes.

Apart from that, he should be happy with his purchase of any model in the range. All points to a good well maintained vehicle, with a good service history. This applys to any car though;)

Hope this helps

Stuart

mike c
09-01-2005, 08:05 PM
thanks stuart

what engine would be the best out of the 1.8 and 1.8t

stuart
09-01-2005, 08:55 PM
thanks stuart

what engine would be the best out of the 1.8 and 1.8t
Really depends on what sort of performance you want. I drive a Seat Leon fitted with the 1.8T, excellent engine, easily upgraded in terms of performance, mine is now 210BHP, good fuel consumption as well.

They are both the same 1.8 20 valve engine in a sort of way, just better performance.