PDA

View Full Version : MAIN dealer Service/or not??

rtassap
24-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Hullo everybody,
this will be my first post so hope someone out there can put me right with this.
I drive 02 VWPassat estate 1.9TDi had for about 2.5 years regularly serviced and generally looked after.As it was coming up to its 80k service i decided to book it into Authaus in Kettering for a full or as they called it a major service.
Dropped car off picked it up got home after 1 hour alarm starts to go off everytime i try to lock it,having checked all doors windows tailgate none open tried once again still kept resetting the alarm and again after 2 mins alarm would off again. rung autohaus they suggested I bring it back left with them overnight next morning get call telling me my rear wash wiper motor had blown and the car needed a partial new wiring loom.£326 for service now £271 for electrical fault.
Gutted anyway accepting all this driving to work thursday moring go to turn left steering breaks stops working and end up across other side of road nearly in a ditch,shook up called AA they arrive within the hour take one look and find the front belt wrapped around front of engine block middle pulley almost sheared right off. AA man says had it serviced recently,yepi replied, did it have funny rattle sound when engine was idling yep i replied. They should have checked the tensioner on that belt especially on a major service.
Feeling rather unhappy when I eventually got an answer from the garage, they said yes the belt has come off???, due to a bearing shearing in the engine.
Now up until this point i had remained very calm and polite, then i suggested they might have in fact picked this point up on the MAJOR service, also i had allready reported to them the engine was in fact rattling on idle, they had told me this was lower inlet pipe causing this. Now I may not be a trained mechanic but I have never heard of a pipe rattling??.
Up shot is I am now facing a further £600 bill to get the pulley and belt replaced before they are able to start the engine and assess if any further damage has been done.
Can someone please tell me if on a major service they should have checked this belt also anyone else had a similar experience and what the outcome was, please help.
Sorry for the length of my first mail, but I am absolutely cheesed off with VWAudi at the moment and as it stands have little or no chance of getting my up untl now relaible faithful car back.
Thank You.

Crasher
24-01-2008, 11:22 PM
Go indi.

rtassap
26-01-2008, 11:10 AM
Sorry Indi not quite sure!! .Anyway following on from my last post regarding my car troubles I put a call into VW UK in Milton Keynes gave them my reg number and explained my situation,they then confirmed all belts should have visible checks and if and where required replaced.Funny nough a couple of hours later I chased the main dealer up and to say they could not have been anymore helpfull my car will be totally repaired coutsey vehcile was waiting for me to pick up and all this and no mention of cost, in fact they are footing the complete repair costs and apologised for any in convience caused.
Seems like you can get what your entitled too without having to go to war, my faith in VWAudi has at this stage been totally restored.

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon7.gifhttp://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ben
26-01-2008, 05:01 PM
wel this is very good. I'm pleased with your outcome up to now. Pity about the problems in the 1st place, but as they were last to 'touch' it, one has to wonder....

keep us all up to date