PDA

View Full Version : Towbar fitted

maje
24-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Had Witter towbar and twin electrics fitted yesterday for £280 including new Alko ball,fitter came to house and all done within 3 hours,would have been quicker if he stopped chatting so much!.Neat job all round and all trim replaced like factory fresh.Just need to get the 'van serviced and find a site with vacancies for Easter now!

Mike.

PNS2007
27-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Great, I'm pleased your now sorted. Did the fitter activate the Trailer Stability program (TSP) which the passat has? A good safety feature of this car which you should consider if not..

LeFrog
29-01-2008, 04:49 AM
I am not an expert but I very much doubt that at this price the OEM wiring loom has been fitted (its quoted at £250 from VW but I managed to get it from Westfalia for £160 - what a bargain!!).

The proper wiring loom connects to the engine management so it can tell when the trailer is connected and as you correctly say needs activating (all details included with wiring loom) so that the TSP will work, along with some bulb checking, the fog light on the car being disconnected when towing, the car alarm to include the trailer being disconnected and most importantly for me - sad git that I am - no need for that annoying noise from the boot to tell you the indicators are working on the trailer which is of course a legal requirement.

james_tiger_woo
29-01-2008, 09:14 AM
I've a VW fitted (I think) detachable towbar - How can I tell if the wiring's been done?

Not that I have any plans to get a caravan and get really old..... (Sorry :))

LeFrog
29-01-2008, 04:06 PM
Stop me if I'm boring you!
Mine isn't fitted yet but here goes :-

1) If it is fitted AND "activated" try connecting trailer and electrics then lock car to activate the alarm. If you disconnect the trailer electrics the car alarm should go off according to the car manual.

2) Try putting a blown bulb / remove one indicator bulb from trailer again with it all connected. Then when you indicate on that side the indicators "should" flash at double speed to indicate a blown bulb, the same as if it were on the car.

Please note that the OEM wiring kit states that the trailer MUST be fitted (or retro fitted) with a Fog lamp for all the facilities to work. I can only assume it uses the fog lamp wiring to confirm to the engine management that a trailer is connected.

Can any other OEM towing members confirm this please.

hope this helps/doesn't send you to sleep

Paul