PDA

View Full Version : The Golf got a remap today.....in conjunction with RS Tuning

Eshrules
23-01-2008, 09:24 PM
woo :p

yep, got a remap.

firstly, let me just say, i never quite realised that a full live remap could be so challenging, or time consuming. i arrived here at 10.00 Am this morning

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/eshrules/BILD0173.jpg

Yep, RS Tuning, after a lengthy discussion with Paul about what it entailed and what i wanted/needed from the remap, i was quite happy to let him proceed.

The golf on the dyno :

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/eshrules/BILD0167.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/eshrules/BILD0168.jpg

pretty early on, Paul picked up on some sort of problem, mainly in that the car was literally just dying as of 3000 rpm, with normal driving you wouldnt notice, but obviously, under load, on the Dyno, it was obvious.

a couple of vagcom logs later, he'd managed to figure out it was a failed MAF, despite the fact i'd checked it before xmas, it had obviously failed since.....

on went the new pierbuerg and forwards went Paul with the remap ;) 2/3 mods, 4/5 dyno runs later, we managed to bump the bhp from an initial 104.8 hp to 139.6, gaining around 60 lb/f of torque.

ooooh, can you feel the power :p the map being loaded up

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/eshrules/BILD0170.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/eshrules/BILD0172.jpg

ignore the figures, these were initial figures, before the final dyno runs were completed.... it's interesting to see just how the curves begin to level out, i failed to get a picture of the initial graph, but trust me, it was not a happy graph :(

long and short of it, i'm very happy, very chuffed and cannot believe i waited so long for a remap... anyone who wants to get it done, really ought to :P

Sam
24-01-2008, 10:33 AM
Excellent review.

Excellent to see our Supporting Companies not only supporting each other, but being supported.

For those of you interested in taking advantage of the services of R S Tuning, please see their section here - RS Tuning (http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=184)

RSTuning
24-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Glad you are liking it mate. Drove really nice and smooth. Impressed:D

chris1234
06-02-2008, 09:44 PM
Glad you are liking it mate. Drove really nice and smooth. Impressed:D

how much does it cost to have done??
i have a 2001 golf mk4 1.6 16v :)
really wanna get as much hp out of it as possible!
cheers

RSTuning
07-02-2008, 06:59 PM
how much does it cost to have done??
i have a 2001 golf mk4 1.6 16v :)
really wanna get as much hp out of it as possible!
cheers

£345 for the NASP with the setup on the dyno. Should see about 8hp on the 1.6 and similar torque gains.

Paul

Captain Answer
07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Looking good, but the real question is did you put a big extension on the fan, some rudders and kick the brakes off for a bit of a blast about the workshop??

RSTuning
11-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Looking good, but the real question is did you put a big extension on the fan, some rudders and kick the brakes off for a bit of a blast about the workshop??

Now you come to mention it :D

Eshrules
12-02-2008, 09:28 AM

Paul informs me this was a 'scientific' experiment....

little did I realise he was just having a laugh :Blush2:

RSTuning
12-02-2008, 02:16 PM

You loved it really:nana:

Captain Answer
12-02-2008, 09:12 PM

Ofcourse its a scientific experiment, you wouldnt want your car overheating due to an insufficient movement of air would you!

Eshrules
06-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Well,

after running this map for almost 2 months, i thought i would update any pros/cons.

there is one major disadvantage, having that extra torque does encourage you to put your foot down a little....

that's about it really.

overtaking on motorways has become a lot easier, as has the resulting MPG of longer runs.

biggest example was a recent run to preston and back twice (total of 200 miles), over the 200 miles, averaging a speed of 65/70 mph, i managed to average just under 65mpg. This is a realistic value, as i managed to obtain around 50/55 before the remap, to improve my MPG by such a large margin is astounding.

confirmation of this was seen when i refilled my tank ;)

driving around town, i cannot say i see much improvement, but this is to be expected.

slight smoke has been witnessed on startup, but this could be due to the extreme cold snaps we've been experiencing, the car always starts well and the smoke does not longer for more than a few seconds.

no smoke is seen when engine is placed under load on the motorway.

all in all, i'm very happy and will keep reporting back any further findings
:Blush:

chris1234
06-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Well,

after running this map for almost 2 months, i thought i would update any pros/cons.

there is one major disadvantage, having that extra torque does encourage you to put your foot down a little....

that's about it really.

overtaking on motorways has become a lot easier, as has the resulting MPG of longer runs.

biggest example was a recent run to preston and back twice (total of 200 miles), over the 200 miles, averaging a speed of 65/70 mph, i managed to average just under 65mpg. This is a realistic value, as i managed to obtain around 50/55 before the remap, to improve my MPG by such a large margin is astounding.

confirmation of this was seen when i refilled my tank ;)

driving around town, i cannot say i see much improvement, but this is to be expected.

slight smoke has been witnessed on startup, but this could be due to the extreme cold snaps we've been experiencing, the car always starts well and the smoke does not longer for more than a few seconds.

no smoke is seen when engine is placed under load on the motorway.

all in all, i'm very happy and will keep reporting back any further findings
:Blush:

thats really good news!! :) hoping to get the same done to my golf soon, just wondered what litre your car was??

Eshrules
06-03-2008, 09:34 PM
thats really good news!! :) hoping to get the same done to my golf soon, just wondered what litre your car was??

the very solid 1.9 tdi lump ;)