PDA

View Full Version : a4 1996 drivers door interior handle?!

hoppy36
23-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Hello,

Just purchased a4 1996 1.8se on the cheap. Trying to fix its problems to get through MOT.
Now to add to everything else the drivers door interior handle wont open the door at all.

The door locks and unlocks fine on the fob, and opens from the exterior.

Any ideas how to fix? Is it difficult to remove interior door card?

Any info appreciated

thanks

dave :mad:

incadave
26-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi.
The door handle operates a cable that goes to the lock and to get the panel off you need to remove the obvious srcews and then look under the the grab handle towards the rear and you will see a screw and then you have to prise that moulding off to reveal another and then you need to push the door card upwards and not prize it away from the door as the locating lugs slot into the door.Hope that helps bud;)

hoppy36
27-01-2008, 10:17 AM
thanks for that, got door cover off, it comes off quite easy dont it!

Little white connector on interior handle had come out of its spring clip, have superglued it back in. Door opens now fine from inside. However interior handle is a bit loose, guess it really needs a new cable.

Is there any way to tighten cable up? Trouble is your cant get your hand down to other end were its connected to door lock.

oh well works for now,
thanks for info

dave
:D

incadave
27-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Glad to be of help and i only new this when i fitted mahogany trims to all the doors and took a bit of working out and i don't remember seeing any adjustment on the cable but didn't look at the other end.Might be best left alone if it works.;)

audimad
28-01-2008, 12:38 PM
no adjustment is possible, its either you positioned the cable slightly wrong or the spring has gone on the handle, causing it to flap around etc

kurt6
16-05-2010, 02:27 PM
Hi,

I've got audi a4 '99 and have a similar problem. I removed the door trim and discovered that that cable what goes from the handle to the door catch is snapped. Is there a way of repairing it? Or should I just buy another cable? And can I just replace the innner cable (just the metal part)or do I have to replace the whole kit(with the white protection) The problem is that I can not reach to the other end of the cable (the part that goes to the door catch)...
Hope you guys know what I mean.

olds_kool
16-05-2010, 06:46 PM
theres a plastic trim that comes off that might give access to lock if not you will have to remove window frame
easy enough just 4 torx bolts hold it in place

you will have to replace complete cable

kurt6
16-05-2010, 08:19 PM
Ok, thanks I'll give it a go. Have to buy that cable first though.