PDA

View Full Version : Bio Diesel in a T4 1.9D

oscarbilly
23-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi Everbody

Need some help/confirmation, Got a 1991 VW T4 1.9D Normilly Aspirated.
And want to run it on Bio Diesel, I filled up with the stuff and had no problems at all, however in the mean time I have been told all sorts of horror stories be the right or wrong they finaly got to me.
Here's what I have been told, " Your furl lines will melt", and even worse as I can replace the fuel lines, your Pump seals will give up?
So, bearing in mind I have had many an "expert" tell me how to fix my intermitant starting problem only to find out it was a little switch on the end of the ignition switch, (funny none of the " experts" mentioned this till it was sorted then and only then they all new it was that!!) I am throwing the Bio Fuel thing out to you.
Will it damage my van, YES or NO
TTFN
Oscarbilly

PS. Dad asks if his T5 Sportline will run on it even though it says no on the filler cap ( WHY )?

Diamond Hell
25-01-2008, 10:39 AM
1.9 *should* be ok, although if I were you I'd use regular diesel from time to time. Bio-diesel is renowned for being more aggressive on pump seals. The risk is that they will go and will cause running problems. If I were you, I'd be a lot more comfortable running on bio if I had a spare injector pump on the shelf!

Your fuel lines should be fine - fine when has vegetable oil melted plastic?!

The TDis are definitely not suitable for use with bio-diesel - they are designed to much closer tolerances and won't tolerate it.

xxx220
02-03-2008, 02:07 AM
hey there
just a quick note as ive had a long look into the subject myself.
to quell your fears the reason people say that it rots your fuel lines is bacause if the veg oil is recovered from used oil they use very alkaline chemicals to do so (sodium methoxide) which if not removed at the end of processing will damage all rubber components of the fuel system
and as for the t5 its not advisable as they use a common rail diesel system so i believe and not a mechanical system due to the increased viscosety of the oil the system cannot handle the extra strain.
ive been using new oil in my 2.4 diese with no dilemas there is the risk of gumming the rings and fatigue on the fuel pump but hey diesel is so expensive!
hope this helps