PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 8V Gti gearbox problems

Ians3422
23-01-2008, 08:55 AM
My car is a '91 Mk2 1800 8V Gti with 166k on the clock & it's fitted with the 020 5 speed gearbox. Ive only had the car about 8 months now and the gear change has always been stiff with 1st to 2nd crunching unless you take it real easy. Was gonna take the box out, overhaul it and replace the synchoniser rings but i'm having trouble getting synchro rings plus now I dont have time as the wife is insisting I fit a new kitchen before the new baby arrives!!!

Has anyone had experience with this gearbox before & can it be cured without changing/ overhauling the unit? If I change the selector shaft bushes & fill the box with new oil will it make a difference? Can anyone advise the best oil to use?

Also the car previously had it's it's auto-adjust clutch cable replaced with a manual adjusting type (advised by Volkspares Sydenham a few years back) - Ive had to adjust the cable (the clutch isnt slipping) and there's now quite a bit of free play in the pedal, will changing the cable back to an auto-adjuster eliminate this?

Any help appreciated!:confused: