PDA

View Full Version : Air flap motor

caldirun
23-01-2008, 08:32 AM
Anyone know where V71 motor is located and which flap it actuates, was an intermittant fault, now will not clear. Is it a task to remove and repair? Thanks, John

paulolindum
25-01-2008, 08:28 AM
Hi John.
Its a dash out job I think. I've posted here for some time but received not much info. Its been pretty cold in my car this winter as the flap is stuck at about 80% cold 20% warm. I've had glovebox out and also the control head unit but have not really had the weather yet to do the whole hog! If you get a reply, copy me in! Paulo

davejcb
25-01-2008, 08:38 AM
I thought the Air flap motor was the one under the pollen filter. What problems are u having? My problem was the flap was stuck shut, causing the climate control to be in recirc mode, meaning my windows always steamed up. Might be worth checking it by taking out the pollen filter, preferably when the engine is warm, if the flap is open (you can see a grille) press the recirc button, see if it closes (probably best to have engine running) If the flap is closed, and the recirc is switched off. It sounds like its this motor thats faultly.

Do have the Climatronic system? How old is the car?

The flap on mine is now permanently open (i used a bit of force on it)

Hope this helps

snapdragon
25-01-2008, 08:51 AM
This fault ocurrs on virtually every VW/Audi that has that part.
It is the recirc flap as stated. The easiest thing to do is make it jam in your favourite position, as replacing is a Haynes 7 spanner rating.

caldirun
25-01-2008, 09:34 PM
recirc seems to be working, if I select it the note changes from the air vents, what form of feedback does the system use for position, is it a potentiometer, if so could it need cleaning?

snapdragon
25-01-2008, 10:45 PM
Not sure, but you can view actual vs. specified valve positions (as an almost infinitely variable range) in VAG-COM, so it must measure it somehow.

paulolindum
04-11-2008, 09:40 AM
excellent. I will try this method. thanks . this is accesible via the pollen filter?

caldirun
04-11-2008, 10:19 PM
excellent. I will try this method. thanks . this is accesible via the pollen filter?
Bad news, its a dash out job, I have posted on this forum, do a search, photos and video to be found, but I must admit it looks possible from the pollen filter housing, 3 hours later I decided to get the dash out!!!